Live from Azamara Journey: Hits and Misses from its Refurb

LauraS

Attention to detail, especially in a small room, is important to making a space work both aesthically and functionally.

Hooks and clotheslines are small items however, they are very practical. Where else does one put their bathrobe, layout their clothes for the next day, hang damp clothes or a raincoat? If you are like my DH, without hooks in the room, clothes will end up on the floor, on the bed, on the chair.....

We were invited to view a veranda room when on the Jouney last September. We were not WOWed. The grey/blue wallpaper made the room feel dark, the hardware and cabinetry were an inconsistent mishmash of old and new, the vinyl and mirrored headboard was more tacky than elegant, the curved mini-sofa/chair was very uncomfortable and artwork was absent. The room felt "staged", cold and impersonal.

Not all was negative though. We are very happy that the large mirror opposite the bed is gone, the bedside tables are now the same height as the bed, the wall-mounted reading lights are functional, and the closet now has a light.

We will be on the Quest in September. We'll see how the room measures up once we have actually lived in it for 15 days.

PS: We plan to pack magnets, removable hooks, clips, portable clothesline, duct tape.....

Is my understanding correct that not only are there no hooks or clothesline in the bathroom but also no hooks anywhere at all in the newly-refurbished cabins??

On the bright side, I am very happy to read about the excellent new reading lights over the bed.

Edited by CintiPam

Good luck with those staterooms keeping looking nice and tidy with hooks and duct tape all over the place. I'd love to see some of the cabins wth stuff hanging from the ceiling and walls. Like walking into a Chinese laundry! :eek: I prefer to keep the place smart and tidy and uncluttered, but each to their own.

Phil

Is my understanding correct that not only are there no hooks or clothesline in the bathroom but also no hooks anywhere at all in the newly-refurbished cabins??

On the bright side, I am very happy to read about the excellent new reading lights over the bed.

I suspect in the rooms they have gone for the same look as most smart hotels that do not have hooks in their rooms and most these days have removed their clotheslines - I heard they were one of the worst places for bugs and mold to fester.

We stayed in the new room in December/January on Quest and honestly we did not even notice we had no hooks or clothes line, but then I always used a hanger on the back of the bathroom door for anything that needed drying

That is my understanding. However, I have not been able to find out if there are any hooks on the back of the bathroom door (for bathrobes, etc) either.

Maybe someone who has been on the ship lately can answer that question.

Good luck with those staterooms keeping looking nice and tidy with hooks and duct tape all over the place. I'd love to see some of the cabins wth stuff hanging from the ceiling and walls. Like walking into a Chinese laundry! :eek: I prefer to keep the place smart and tidy and uncluttered, but each to their own.

Phil

My point exactly! It seems a lot of folks are bringing all these things with them. I would also like to see where they are putting all these.

That is my understanding. However, I have not been able to find out if there are any hooks on the back of the bathroom door (for bathrobes, etc) either.

Maybe someone who has been on the ship lately can answer that question.

There certainly were hooks on the back of the bathroom doors in the quest room - the doors were unchanged and I expect that would be the same on Journey

I don't recall if the hooks on the back of the bathroom door were still there. There were no hooks in the main cabin.

The bathroom hooks question is the determining factor as to which cruise line I choose.

Lol!

Pre-refurb I can only remember there being one hook split into two in the main cabin anyway. My room steward would hang my robe there and led to a very embarrassing moment. Tom, remind me to tell you the story.

Phil

Lol!

Pre-refurb I can only remember there being one hook split into two in the main cabin anyway. My room steward would hang my robe there and led to a very embarrassing moment. Tom, remind me to tell you the story.

Phil

I hated it when we moved rooms on Quest to a non refurbished room. The room steward would insist on hanging my nightwear on that hook in inappropriate "poses" until I took to hiding the said item in a drawer.

Thank goodness that hook has gone, no more items on display. It was in a stupid place anyway. Items live in the wardrobe, back of bathroom door or drawers.

IThank goodness that hook has gone, no more items on display. It was in a stupid place anyway. Items live in the wardrobe, back of bathroom door or drawers.

Don't forget there are others that find the hook in the cabin to be very useful!

If you don't like it - don't use it. But let everyone make their own decisions.

Can't understand why they removed that hook - unless Azamara are more concerned about the "looks" than the usefullness for their guests...

I confess that I have previously used hooks in the cabin to hang the far too many bags I packed for the cruise.

Now that the hooks are gone I'll put them somewhere else.

From what I have seen the refurbished rooms look so much more attractive I can't wait to be in one even if they are now hookless :D:D:D

We use the hooks on the bathroom door for bathrobes. I pack a few clothes pegs and peg costumes to a coat hanger and hang in shower or over bath depending on type of cabin we are in. I must admit I send swimwear to the laundry instead of a second ' rinse'

I keep a costume washing liquid in a one portion Gordons gin bottle( you know the type you get on an airplane ) however on the Journey last year I had unfortunately forgotten to fill it up so rinsed it in the sink with a costume to get any remains out. I then left the bottle upturned on the sink.

When we returned to the cabin the bottle had been dried and was on the counter top by the drinks tray with a bottle of Bombay Saphire and a note informing me there was tonic in the fridge. Talk about attention to detail.....the spirits provided had not included gin and our butler must have thought he would fix my 'problem'.

On Celebrity we use the hook on the wall in the cabin to hang the pool bag on however I don't remember there being one in the suite last year.

Am I the only one who makes sure the cabin is spick and span with everything away before we leave it to go to breakfast? After all it's my holiday home and I am house proud.

I confess that I have previously used hooks in the cabin to hang the far too many bags I packed for the cruise.

Now that the hooks are gone I'll put them somewhere else.

From what I have seen the refurbished rooms look so much more attractive I can't wait to be in one even if they are now hookless :D:D:D

+1.

Phil

If you don't like it - don't use it. But let everyone make their own decisions.

See Post 43 for the reasons I so hated it, it wasn't me who insisted on using it

Edited by uktog