Miss Manners question

stag

Why games about water glass and bread plate?

How hard is it to remember water on your right; bread on your left?

Seems easier than OK signs and both hands and straight up and the rest of it. :D

Water on your Right (Starboard)

Bread plate on your Left ( Port)

:)

People don't know which is their left hand and which is their right?

I was not aware that was an issue for the vast majority of the population.

My apologies for not recognizing that is a real problem.

In today's society many people have no idea how to set a table. There are quite a few families who don't have meals together. And then we have people who rarely go out for dinner to a restaurant -- they go to fast food places.

I am shocked at the issue it seems some otherwise competent people have in determining left from right. I have never heard it was an issue for any measurable segment of population.

Learn something new every day.

It affects about 20% of people. Surprising you have never heard of it.

Interesting article here:

https://www.smartlivingnetwork.com/psychology/b/id-and-ego-left-or-right-why-some-smart-people-confuse-them/

At a table for four like the diagram, we would sit next to each other, unless no one else shows up, then we would still across from each other. In a booth, always across from one another. Creeps me out to see a couple sitting next to each other alone in a booth. Saw that at a local restaurant recently. They really needed to just go get a room.

Him, we must be odd-couple out. I'm pretty sure we would sit across from each other. At least that's what we do when we go out with friends. To me, it seems more natural to be looking at my husband, rather than next to him.

And if we were first, we'd probably take AC - not because of window or view. We would do that in a regular restaurant without the ocean outside!!

we do the same. we sit across from each other.

if we are 2nd, then we will other have men on 1 side and women on the other.

Or if they are side by side, then men will face each other.

But it never bothered me either way, and have never given it a 2nd thought.

https://www.smartlivingnetwork.com/psychology/b/id-and-ego-left-or-right-why-some-smart-people-confuse-them/

I have some difficulty with spatial relationships, etc. I do know which water glass is mine and don't much care for bread so dining with others is not an issue.

Thank you for sharing that article, very interesting. I also have a harder time with remembering names and my handwriting is barely legible unless I try hard for neatness. Interesting to see they are all related.

To the OP sorry for derailing the intent of your thread. I do agree with most here if it just the 2 of us we sit side by side, or take whatever seats are open. We also agree if you are with the same group multiple days switch it up from day to day if possible.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am shocked at the issue it seems some otherwise competent people have in determining left from right. I have never heard it was an issue for any measurable segment of population.

I find it odd as well, but this is an issue through the ages.

Actually more people know left from right now than 100 or so years ago. I have been involved in Revolutionary and civil War Living History over the years. In those days the average person did not know left from right. The method to teach marching involved putting a bundle of hay on the left food and a bundle of straw on the right, and marching instructions were "Hay Foot / Straw Foot." Now far more people know their left from right than can tell the difference between hay and straw! In fact, EVERY "Hay Ride" I have been on has been a "Straw Ride" and I seem to be the only person who notices!

Edited by K&RCurt

My DH is a "lefty" but understands he lives in a right hand world so is use to where things are properly placed and deals with it without a problem.

My younger "lefty" granddaughter is use to it so seems normal to her. :)

My sister never had a problem sitting at a formal table and dining without disturbing anyone else. If she made adjustments, she quietly did what she needed to do and made nothing of it.

In today's society many people have no idea how to set a table. There are quite a few families who don't have meals together. And then we have people who rarely go out for dinner to a restaurant -- they go to fast food places.

I think you raise a valid point. Sad but true. How many households don't set a table at all? They bring in the take out, grab a plate and eat..... if they even are able to arrange for the whole family to be home at the same time to eat together at all. Bread plates? Water goblets? Not much of that anymore. Suddenly they find themselves at a finely set table .....

Of course, that is not everyone but sadly I think far too many families are so busy rushing around, they forget all about basic table manners and dining in formal settings.

Edited by sail7seas

It really doesn't come up much in conversation, in my experience, so you probably have some of those "otherwise competent people" in your social circle without even realizing it.

I managed to get to retirement age and can say I've never knowingly met someone who could not tell which is their left hand and which is their right. I am being told here that is the case for some and I don't doubt those who say so but I've never encountered anyone demonstrating or saying they don't know which is their left/right hand.

Must be very hard on them.

I managed to get to retirement age and can say I've never knowingly met someone who could not tell which is their left hand and which is their right. I am being told here that is the case for some and I don't doubt those who say so but I've never encountered anyone demonstrating or saying they don't know which is their left/right hand.

Must be very hard on them.

And you still are not getting it. We are NOT saying people don't know right from left, just that it is not intuitive to some. I would bet you have met people like this and not even realized it when it takes them a few seconds to process and come up with the correct answer. I fully know which side is which but when responding quickly sometimes the wrong answer comes out. If I am around new people I often hesitate before responding or completing my sentence to ensure I have the correct word. It is something I have adjusted to and most would not have a clue if they did not know me personally. I joke about with family and friends and through that have learned of many others who are the same way.

Again, we DO know left from right, it is just not as "at the tip of our tongues" as most.

Thanks to those who do understand. I will leave this thread now as it doesn't appear any of us are getting the appropriate point across to some.