nassau vs bermuda for 300 more? 1st and only cruise

luckyinpa

due to the discovery of jersey week. i'm seriously considering canceling my nov 6 to bahamas on the breakaway. the reviews on this forum have scared me as have some of the nassau postings.

i basically have to decide in the next week because if i want to buy the insurance for my current cruise, i must do so by that deadline for the CFAR reason

this is a once in a lifetime and done cruise for me and my gf. both in our 40s. we are not a sit at the beach/pool 8 hours a day type of people but nor are we mountain climbers. we are in between.

i had chosen bahamas because it was much cheaper than bermuda and the idea of going to kennedy space center and GSC and bahamas was enticing to me but i wasnt not aware of jersey week. we specifically avoided the very cheap thanksgiving week to avoid 1500 kids on board but the jersey threads have me worried even more than thanksgiving really. maybe i should stop reading?

so i was just wondering your opinion. for total of 600 more, will a mid october sailing from NYC to bermuda make me happier than a jersey week trip to bahamas. i can deal without seeing the space center and i dont know what more there is to do on GSC than beach anyway so i probably wouldnt miss that. but is sitting in dock in bermuda fun?

PS wanted to add one question i never researched is if we were on GSC or the space center. can you get back to the ship 'early ' if you wanted to? obviously in bahamas you can come and go for 3 days as you please. i do find that appealing. but am i missing out on all the other things have to offer? gosh i need a magic 8 ball. i dug for the perfect haven spa room for a month and researched it all but not the darn jersey week lol

Edited by luckyinpa

I don't know much about Jersey Week but if it is like anything like sailing during NY's recess there will be a lot of kids on this cruise. I have done both of these sailings and IMHO there is no comparison. BERMUDA wins hands down. There is not much to do on the Bahamas cruise. Since we have cruised many times and have seen different ports we were okay to just stay on the ship. Since this is your first and only cruise I would say "go big" if you can afford it and go to Bermuda. Bermuda is such a beautiful island, clean, safe and the people are so friendly. There is plenty to do in Bermuda for your three days. You also have the convenience of getting on and off the ship at any time and not have to worry about rushing back to the ship except for the last day. Once you visit Bermuda you will want to go back, in fact we are going back to Bermuda for the 8th time and our second time on the Breakaway. Help this helps. P.S. We are in our 50's.

thank you for the informative post. we cannot afford any of this lol...but its now or never. arent getting any younger with health but overall $600 more to go to somewhere that is markedly better seems like not such a bad deal with your review. i greatly apprecaite it and i'm sure my gf will too.

i just have to find out if october is safe to sail with columbus day and whatever else in NY NJ i may have missed out on. and pray no hurricanes.

also any input on what you like in bermuda is very much appreciated

My spouse and I have sailed NCL to Bermuda, as well as done the Port Canaveral/GSC/Nassau itinerary twice. You can definitely have a good time on the latter itinerary, but I agree with the comment above that Bermuda wins over any of those ports. Plenty to do in Bermuda that does not involve sitting on a beach all day (although I would spend some time on one :)). We went in mid/late October, and thought it was a terrific time -- comfortably warm but not humid. (I can't imagine being there in the summer.)

I love the Kennedy Space Center, but you could go there on a land-based trip as well. And that would give you far more time to do it justice.

As for Jersey Week, I haven't experienced it personally, but if there's any chance that the ship would be full of kids, I personally would avoid it. In fact, that would tip the scales for me.

To answer your question about GSC (which, btw, the ship might "miss" because of weather, so don't count on it) -- yes, you can go back to the ship whenever you want, the tenders run all day.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time!

Just putting this out there so you can make the best decision possible. My kids attend public schools in Westchester County NY. In October, the kids are off from school the 3rd and 4th (Mon & Tues) for Jewish Holidays. Also in October, school is closed on the 10th for Columbus day and the 12th for a Jewish Holiday. Some other local schools are closed the 10th-12th. This may make either of those weeks attractive to parents traveling with kids. (I checked it already myself).

this is a once in a lifetime and done cruise for me and my gf. both in our 40s. we are not a sit at the beach/pool 8 hours a day type of people but nor are we mountain climbers. we are in between.

I would absolutely do Bermuda. There's so much to do there—beaches, history, nature trails, it's got it all. The itinerary (3 days in port) is wonderful, as it gives you a chance to really explore the island. We went once, and were completely hooked.

My spouse and I have sailed NCL to Bermuda, as well as done the Port Canaveral/GSC/Nassau itinerary twice. You can definitely have a good time on the latter itinerary, but I agree with the comment above that Bermuda wins over any of those ports. Plenty to do in Bermuda that does not involve sitting on a beach all day (although I would spend some time on one :)). We went in mid/late October, and thought it was a terrific time -- comfortably warm but not humid. (I can't imagine being there in the summer.)

I love the Kennedy Space Center, but you could go there on a land-based trip as well. And that would give you far more time to do it justice.

As for Jersey Week, I haven't experienced it personally, but if there's any chance that the ship would be full of kids, I personally would avoid it. In fact, that would tip the scales for me.

To answer your question about GSC (which, btw, the ship might "miss" because of weather, so don't count on it) -- yes, you can go back to the ship whenever you want, the tenders run all day.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time!

thanks for the report. very much needed to hear some comforting words today. this is a huge deal for us and we need some reassurance. it sounds like more land things to do in bermuda and i get the overall impression it is safer than nassau. and i dont think ive read any bad at all about bermuda here

also good to know about the tenders all day as well!

any specific info about what you liked on bermuda will be appreciated too

Wouldn't the October cruise be fall break, when lots of kids are out of school?

Most of the schools here don't start school until after Labor Day, so many don't have a fall break.

OP, check out reviews from October.

Just putting this out there so you can make the best decision possible. My kids attend public schools in Westchester County NY. In October, the kids are off from school the 3rd and 4th (Mon & Tues) for Jewish Holidays. Also in October, school is closed on the 10th for Columbus day and the 12th for a Jewish Holiday. Some other local schools are closed the 10th-12th. This may make either of those weeks attractive to parents traveling with kids. (I checked it already myself).

TY i just did a room inventory and do see all of october is cheaper than september! but since i have freedom. sounds like 16 and 23rd are the way to go to ensure minimum issues.

I would absolutely do Bermuda. There's so much to do there—beaches, history, nature trails, it's got it all. The itinerary (3 days in port) is wonderful, as it gives you a chance to really explore the island. We went once, and were completely hooked.

we like the history part and the trails if they are safe will be good to walk off all the food ;)

TY i just did a room inventory and do see all of october is cheaper than september! but since i have freedom. sounds like 16 and 23rd are the way to go to ensure minimum issues.

we like the history part and the trails if they are safe will be good to walk off all the food ;)

Bermuda is very safe - it's not a poor island. Cruising is a great way to visit, because Bermuda is expensive!

Bermuda is very safe. You'll have no problems there.

Among the things to do would be:

• Walk the historic town of St. George's, settled in 1612
  • Visit the forts -- Fort St. Catherine, Fort Hamilton, Fort Scaur
  • Visit Hamilton
  • Go to the beaches! Especially Horseshoe Bay or Elbow Beach, or Tobacco Bay in St. George.
  • Do the Bermuda Railway Trail
  • Visit the Dockyard museums
  • Check out the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

There's so much to do there...way more than you can take on in 3 days' time. The people are super friendly. It's very easy to get around (just buy a 3-day bus / ferry pass, and you can have unlimited travel on the island). You don't even need to change currency—all prices are in dollars. And it's absolutely beautiful.

Definitely, definitely do Bermuda. :D

ok i have to admit i'm sold. thanks to all!!! spending 600 more to guarantee a safer more fun place with less ketchup on the railings sounds good to me.

now to choose a date and figure out how to get the deposit transferred on the new cruise and ensure i dont lose haven 4 freebees

Edited by luckyinpa

Bermuda all the way. Getting around is so easy. No taxis needed. Buy a sheet of bus passes at the dock yard or a mutiday pass. Use these for, yes the bus, and the water taxis. You can take a water taxi from the dockyard to Hamilton or St George. One ticket per person. Bermuda is full of hard working fantastic people. Even the bus is fun..to meet locals..

I will chime in here, never been to Bermuda BUT its on my list. Famous PINK beaches, lots of history and some very interesting areas as well as caves.

Read this review....it covers the DAWN however Mitsugirly does go into depth on Bermuda and will have a lot of pictures. (She is however a beach person). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221726&highlight=mitsugirly+bermuda

Getting all over the island is easy, public bus system, ferry system and you can buy a multi-day pass and it covers all public transport.

Also, visit the Bermuda PORTS OF CALL boards. There is so much information on what to visit and how to do it on your own. The water will still be warm in October and the nights will be cooler, but its nicer to walk around and go to the Swizzle Inn for a few painkillers.

Seriously, I think this is the better cruise, you'll totally relax on the first sea days and can unwind! If this is your One and Only I'd say do the Bermuda. I also wouldn't worry too much about the children issue in October, I don't think it would be as bad as the January cruise from NY

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Bermuda! I did want to add that we got an awesome deal to Bermuda a couple of years ago and went for our 20th anniversary. We were on a shoestring budget because we had just spent a ton of money recovering from hurricane sandy. We bought the bus/ferry pass, did a free tour in st George that was awesome, looked for moon gates, went to the beach, and window shopped. We spent less than $100 in three days and had a great time. It's an expensive island, but you can do a lot for $100 if that's a concern. And it is a gorgeous island!

ok i have to admit i'm sold. thanks to all!!! spending 600 more to guarantee a safer more fun place with less ketchup on the railings sounds good to me.

now to choose a date and figure out how to get the deposit transferred on the new cruise and ensure i dont lose haven 4 freebees

If you cancel one cruise and book a different cruise (same or different itinerary/ship), for the new one, you'll get whatever pricing and perks are *currently* offered on the day you make the new reservation.

Whether you had special pricing or perks on the previous reservation won't matter.

If you are going in the Haven, you'll be buffered from a lot of the crowds (esp if there are lots of children).

There may be children in the Haven, of course, but it's a restricted entry area, with a much smaller number of passengers allowed in - only those who are booked in Haven category.

Haven suites will give you a *wonderful* "one and only" cruise.

You might get hooked :)

due to the discovery of jersey week. i'm seriously considering canceling my nov 6 to bahamas on the breakaway. the reviews on this forum have scared me as have some of the nassau postings.

i basically have to decide in the next week because if i want to buy the insurance for my current cruise, i must do so by that deadline for the CFAR reason

i had chosen bahamas because it was much cheaper than bermuda and the idea of going to kennedy space center and GSC and bahamas was enticing to me but i wasnt not aware of jersey week. we specifically avoided the very cheap thanksgiving week to avoid 1500 kids on board but the jersey threads have me worried even more than thanksgiving really. maybe i should stop reading?

so i was just wondering your opinion. for total of 600 more, will a mid october sailing from NYC to bermuda make me happier than a jersey week trip to bahamas. i can deal without seeing the space center and i dont know what more there is to do on GSC than beach anyway so i probably wouldnt miss that. but is sitting in dock in bermuda fun?

PS wanted to add one question i never researched is if we were on GSC or the space center. can you get back to the ship 'early ' if you wanted to? obviously in bahamas you can come and go for 3 days as you please. i do find that appealing. but am i missing out on all the other things have to offer? gosh i need a magic 8 ball. i dug for the perfect haven spa room for a month and researched it all but not the darn jersey week lol

I live in Jersey and there is no break in October(wish there was-cruises are more affordable). As others have stated, BERMUDA, BERMUDA, BERMUDA- much more than the beach, richer island(culturally and financially). It is my favorite place. I have done the Bahamas itinerary and it leaves from NY, so no airfare. I leave NJ in April for hot weather. Nassau is not my favorite place, but I have never felt unsafe there-I have travelled there without my husband for the past 3 years. Last year in Nassau, I did a tour with people to people(department of tourism). It was fantastic!! More people should take advantage of this free program. I went to my hosts(retired social worker) house that her husband built and it was wonderful to get away downtown Nassau.

Ultimately where you end up cruising to is your choice, but if I had my choice, the few hundred dollars is worth going to Bermuda( I am very fortunate to be doing both itineraries this year).

8 minutes on hold..2 minutes to transfer to new cruise..now THATS easy

bye bye bahamas. hello bermuda

thanks to all who helped make this decision so much easier and id love to hear any more experiences about what to do in bermuda. now i can begin my 1000 page spreadsheet on where to go. what to eat. what to see

and nothing else better come to my attention about the week of oct 16..if anyone has any holidays they are canceled this year!

Smart move.

We went in July 2014 and it was our favorite cruise vacation ever. Go to Horseshoe Bay Beach and then walk all the way to the left, passing Jobson's Cove to Warwick Long Bay Beach. Stunningly beautiful views.

Last November we did the Bahamas cruise during Jersey Week. It was a completely opposite cruise. Not very relaxing and we didn't make it to Great Stirrup Cay :(

Have a great cruise!!

~Robin

Edited by meatball_nyc

thanks to all who helped make this decision so much easier and id love to hear any more experiences about what to do in bermuda. now i can begin my 1000 page spreadsheet on where to go. what to eat. what to see

You really should take the conversation now over to the Ports of Call/Bermuda board, but I'll leave you with this. What to eat is easy. Go to the Swizzle Inn and have a Bailey's Bay Fish Sandwich, with a rum swizzle. It doesn't look like much, but it's beyond delicious. YUM!!!!!!!

GemCruiseOct2011606.jpg

(photo by turtles06)