Which side of ship for San Francisco on CA coastal?

victory2020

I have recently noticed the Princess ships seem to commonly dock port side to the dock. So, probably the port side of the ship gives you a better view- northwest- towards the Golden Gate.

But of course, it really isn't predictable which side will be to the dock. So, if the ship changes it's position for your cruise, you are out of luck. That is why it is commonly said not to worry about side of ship. Plus, the view the other way, if the port side is to the dock, isn't bad, it just isn't quite as nice.

When we did that cruise in Sept 14, we had a port side balcony. While in SF, it faced toward Fisherman's wharf and I could see Coit Tower, so it was port side next to the pier. I don't know if that's normal though.

It was also port side to pier in Sand Diego, with views of the bay to the North. You would have downtown/bay views on starboard.

JM2C,

If taking a California coastal from SF to SF - Port side would be my choice. Port has the potential to see more coastline going south, and going south happens on more days of the itinerary.

If only for viewing the SF skyline then also port side for Pier 27 and starboard if Pier 35

Grand class ships pull into Pier 35 and back into Pier 27.

Edited by masterty

When we did that cruise in Sept 14, we had a port side balcony. While in SF, it faced toward Fisherman's wharf and I could see Coit Tower, so it was port side next to the pier. I don't know if that's normal though.

It was also port side to pier in Sand Diego, with views of the bay to the North. You would have downtown/bay views on starboard.

You will be far away from land, due to routes and regulations, so you won't be seeing land.

Which side of the ship is to the dock in San Diego depends on which pier you are at.

We always book Starboard when we sail in and out of San Francisco as we love the sight of the early morning city lights from our balcony as we sail back into the City at the end of the cruise. Just a personal favorite for us. :)

We actually prefer the starboard side (Pier 27) while in port because of the more southeasterly views of the city and the Bay Bridge. When leaving port, you will also have the view of Alcatraz and the beautiful Marin Headlands as you go under the Golden Gate Bridge. Of course, being on top of the ship is far better than being on your own deck as you can walk from port to starboard sides within seconds so as to not miss anything. If your cruise leaves port after dark, as it sometimes does, the port side is preferred as you can then see all the city lights.

We always book Starboard when we sail in and out of San Francisco as we love the sight of the early morning city lights from our balcony as we sail back into the City at the end of the cruise. Just a personal favorite for us. :)

You two must be early birds because that is generally around 5-5:30? I did catch that last December. It was also interesting to watch the pilot spin us around to back us up to the pier. I'm not usually an early bird so I've missed it every other time.

3 Coastals for us and would say Starboard. We have docked bow first each time and we overlooked Fishermans Wharf. In San Diego you will overlook the carrier Midway. This was our experience although things change. We are booked on the Ruby Cal Coastal in October and we booked a Starboard

I live near SF and in Nov. we were backed in to Pier 27 on California Coastal. Have seen ship numerous times in port and always backed in. Starboard side lets you view the sunsets heading south for the first five days.

Which side of the ship is to the dock in San Diego depends on which pier you are at.

I used to drive by the cruise ship piers several times a week. I don't think I've ever seen one of them backed in. I guess it's possible, but the norm is definitely bow first.

Highly recommend touring the Midway when in port.

I would book the side that gives the view I want when the ship is sailing into or out of the port I want to have the view at. Depending on if you would like a early morning view or see the lights when departing at night. You can never count on which way the ship will dock or the pier. If they have maintenance, life boat inspections, painting, winds, ect. the ship will dock with that side facing the dock or water. You just never know for sure.

I used to drive by the cruise ship piers several times a week. I don't think I've ever seen one of them backed in. I guess it's possible, but the norm is definitely bow first.

Highly recommend touring the Midway when in port.

This is true, in San Diego they always seem to be bow in. However, there are 3 possible piers, two starboard side and one port side docking, assuming bow in.

This is true, in San Diego they always seem to be bow in. However, there are 3 possible piers, two starboard side and one port side docking, assuming bow in.

Yes, you are correct. I wrote about port side to pier and in my head I was just thinking about the view! :roll eyes: If only one ship is in, the starboard side will have downtown/Midway/south bay views, port side has Point Loma/Shelter Island/Harbor Island/north bay views.

If more than one ship is in, I guess it's a crap shoot, and you might only have a view of another cruise ship.

Transiting out of the bay, port side will have great views of Coronado and North Island Naval Air Station, starboard will have views of the submarine base and Point Loma.

I agree. Went to Hawaii last March and loved seeing lights and bridge from our starboard balcony. Also when we were waiting to leave SF on our cruise we loved the view of the two bridges, sailboats, etc.

Pooh