Princess Book Club

tcworld

I have read a few posts concerning the Princess Book Club but they are older posts. Has anyone had a recent experience with the club? According to the Princess website the book for March is “The Lake House” by Kate Morton. We are sailing March 14th. From what I’ve read the club is disorganized and the moderator, if there is one, is usually not very knowledgeable about the book. I plan to download the book to my tablet so I can start reading it before the cruise. Listed on past platters the first meeting is 9:00am on the second day. I assume this is to pass out the books that they have on hand. This is rather early for me so I would like to know if it is even worth it to participate. Any experience out there with it?

I've given up going to the book club for the reasons you stated: disorganized, not enough books, poor discussion scheduling, and moderators who, a) haven't read the book and, b) have no experience moderating or have a clue. :(

Have to agree with Pam, basically a waste of time. On Diamond in August last year they didn't even bother, maybe because there were a lot of Asians on board. Years ago it seemed much better, maybe the advent of electronic readers and iPads.

Have to agree with Pam, basically a waste of time. On Diamond in August last year they didn't even bother, maybe because there were a lot of Asians on board. Years ago it seemed much better, maybe the advent of electronic readers and iPads.

Very true! A matronly book club may not be intellectually stimulating for them. Now bring on a Technology Club or something more contemporary, and the results may be better.

I belong to a book club of one - me. I just plop myself down on a chair out on the deck somewhere, with my iPad, and pull up whatever book I happen to be reading at the time.

I've given up going to the book club for the reasons you stated: disorganized, not enough books, poor discussion scheduling, and moderators who, a) haven't read the book and, b) have no experience moderating or have a clue. :(

Totally agree.

I belong to a book club of one - me. I just plop myself down on a chair out on the deck somewhere, with my iPad, and pull up whatever book I happen to be reading at the time.

Or I pull out a book, sit on my balcony get distractedby the ocean going past and end up reading a page if I'm lucky.

Or I pull out a book, sit on my balcony get distractedby the ocean going past and end up reading a page if I'm lucky.

Yes, my problem too. And usually I fall asleep with the sound of the ocean and the help of a little wine.

Perhaps you have missed the point of a book club?

I belong to a book club at home. We get a book each month chosen by the chap at library headquarters. We meet in a garden centre to discuss the book and have a coffe and cake. The first time on Princess we met over afternoon tea but apart from the staff member, who knew nothing about the book, there were only 2 others there. If Princess wish to have a book club they need to get organised more.

DW has participated in the book club the last few cruises and has talked them into having the discussion during afternoon tea.
I've taken cruises when those on the roll call organized their own book club. They picked a book and arranged to meet at afternoon tea to discuss it. It was fun, interesting and we got to know each other better than at a M&G. :)

I was glad to see a discussion regarding the onboard book clubs. We are sailing in April and I plan on attending the book club meeting, but will now have a better idea of what to expect. 'The Lake House' is a good read. No matter how the meeting turns out, the effort isn't a total waste. I do like the idea of meeting during tea time - just seems appropriate.

I have read a few posts concerning the Princess Book Club but they are older posts. Has anyone had a recent experience with the club? According to the Princess website the book for March is “The Lake House” by Kate Morton. We are sailing March 14th. From what I’ve read the club is disorganized and the moderator, if there is one, is usually not very knowledgeable about the book. I plan to download the book to my tablet so I can start reading it before the cruise. Listed on past platters the first meeting is 9:00am on the second day. I assume this is to pass out the books that they have on hand. This is rather early for me so I would like to know if it is even worth it to participate. Any experience out there with it?

I was looking forward to participating in the book club when we cruised with Princess last fall. I was disappointed to find no knowledge of the book club by ship staff. It was never mentioned in the patter.

I've taken cruises when those on the roll call organized their own book club. They picked a book and arranged to meet at afternoon tea to discuss it. It was fun, interesting and we got to know each other better than at a M&G. :)

Great idea!