Movies shown on in cabin TV

Something I don't understand is why they can't show the DVD movies they are showing

in repeat on the giant pool screen, cinema theater, and show theater in our cabins also.

They already have the movies on board showing for free, why not show them on the cabin TVs? RCI used to have a couple of nice channels for movies...now all programming is simply RCI banging their own drum in repeats, and cheap channels of which many are foreign language. Also several children's channels showing even on longer cruises with demographics of mostly older passengers. Guessing it is to make you frustrated and buy in cabin movies, but those big screen movies they are already showing are free anyway.

On Serenade we tried to watch a movie in the cinema and found pax had been in there saving seats for over an hour! No place to sit. :(

Give us back the old in cabin TV programming RCI!!

Edited by island lady

If I understand it properly they do more on the Dreamwork's experience cruises. I'm waiting to hear on a different thread if that has changed though.

I do agree they need some decent movies. I know it's a fun and sun vacation but a little down time is nice once or twice during the week and also if the weather gets bad.

If I understand it properly they do more on the Dreamwork's experience cruises. I'm waiting to hear on a different thread if that has changed though.

I do agree they need some decent movies. I know it's a fun and sun vacation but a little down time is nice once or twice during the week and also if the weather gets bad.

Agree. The weather got bad on a couple of our sea days during our last cruise, so it would have been nice to watch

a movie relaxing in our cabin since we could not get into the cinema due to overcrowding with no seats available.

Just a few years ago, RCI used to have at least two nice free movie channels that they

were showing second run DVDs on in cabin TV's. Then they went to one, now there is none. :(

Edited by island lady

what do you mean they do more? I am surprised they don't have VOD since they do have the DreamWorks connection.

But if you sit in your cabin watching movies you are not spending money. Am I too cynical?

On Transatlantic cruises in the past we used to love watching a matinee lying on the bed when you have 6 or 7 consecutive sea days.

I can live without a lot of the cuts with no gripes (mint on pillow kinda stuff) but I do miss being able to find anything worth watching while enjoying a little down time in the cabin. In this day and age you'd think they'd have a decent list of free movies or series available 'on demand' so you could start/stop at your convenience. I know they would charge for first run stuff, but a selection of decent freebies would be nice.

But if you sit in your cabin watching movies you are not spending money. Am I too cynical?

On Transatlantic cruises in the past we used to love watching a matinee lying on the bed when you have 6 or 7 consecutive sea days.

Agree. It is a free movie in the cinema, nice thing to do on a sea day...but having to

get there an hour early to score an uncomfortable seat is not for us. RCI needs to show

those movies on our cabin TV channels (like they used to) since the movies are already on

board anyway.

I never lay out by the pool. (Tired of being cut on :() So being able to

watch a movie in my cabin is a nice option on a sea day when I don't feel

like reading.

Edited by island lady

Just off Anthem - we found it amusing you could rent a movie for approx $12 yet an Adult movie was $7. We didn't do either.

:eek: :eek: Yikes, 12 bucks? You can buy the whole movie for less than that. Those

are not first run movies. :(

Cheaper to make the skin flicks? :p :p

There are actually still some RCI ships that don't even have the option to rent

a movie on cabin TV.

My bet is there an explanation that involves cutting costs.

So if they are going to cut back on the movies available, why not let us connect a device to the TV to watch a movie stored on your phone? Or review pictures, for that matter?

(I know the aux input has worked on SOME tvs for SOME pax, but obviously this is not standard practice or it would be allowed on ALL tvs.)

So from what I said above, if you have the urge to watch movies, load them on your phone/tablet I guess, or bring a portable DVD player.

Each ship controls their own TV channels and have several channels that broadcast

their morning show, reruns of shows, etc.

There should be no extra cost to put the movies they are showing around the ship

for free anyway, that are already on board. They used to have two channels of rerunning

movies. Miss those. :(

We also enjoyed the On Demand movies on Princess. Plenty of them, great variety.

I'm not a big movie watcher, but sometimes you just want to relax and get lost for a couple of hours. I guess that won't happen on our upcoming Oasis cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So if they are going to cut back on the movies available, why not let us connect a device to the TV to watch a movie stored on your phone? Or review pictures, for that matter?

(I know the aux input has worked on SOME tvs for SOME pax, but obviously this is not standard practice or it would be allowed on ALL tvs.)

I always bring my Ipad and hook it up to the television with a HDMI cord and an adapter which takes it from the device to HDMI as long as it is a somewhat newer flat screen. Worst case scenario I can always just watch it on the tablet.

I do suspect the crappy programming on the television is to encourage people to do activities outside of the stateroom which could yield potential profits for them ;) I agree it would be nice if they had more variety though cause sometimes after being out all day you just want to veg out in the stateroom and watch television or at least I do.

I always bring my Ipad and hook it up to the television with a HDMI cord and an adapter which takes it from the device to HDMI as long as it is a somewhat newer flat screen. Worst case scenario I can always just watch it on the tablet.

I do suspect the crappy programming on the television is to encourage people to do activities outside of the stateroom which could yield potential profits for them ;) I agree it would be nice if they had more variety though cause sometimes after being out all day you just want to veg out in the stateroom and watch television or at least I do.

Good idea also. But I have long since decided to leave my extra electronic toys at home,

and just take the smart phone with me.

Agree with you about just wanting to veg in the cabin sometimes, and enjoy a little quiet time.

Edited by island lady

We just did the Celebrity Reflection a few months ago and the TV was very bad also.

They had probably 12 Celebrity channels and about 2 other channels that were watchable.

I think Princess was the best. They showed "The Love Boat" re-runs daily....

Edited by matj2000

now all programming is simply RCI banging their own drum in repeats,

I chose to focus on this one point, because besides doing it, they frequently do it so badly its obviously filler for the onboard person responsible for filling up the time.

On the rare times I watch tv in my cabin I saw a very nice show about a family making having a really enjoyable West Coast cruise on Mariner. Why promote something you pulled off the market? I also saw a show about the retrofit of Sovereign. (again same question) I did also see a show about the building of the new Voyager class. I found that interesting as Voyager was my first ship and Freedom was just in the early build days.

Does Royal have any free on demand movies?

On Celebrity (Silhouette) a few months ago - the kids watched Pixels (for free) and we watched Entourage (for free) long before it made it to our home movie channels (for which we pay a hefty monthly fee).

I was pretty impressed with the selection of free on demand movies. Though we didn't have time for more than one. We probably watched each movie in several parts.

It's been a few years since we sailed Royal, but I remember a pretty good selection of DreamWorks movies for the kids to watch.

Does Royal have any free on demand movies?

On Celebrity (Silhouette) a few months ago - the kids watched Pixels (for free) and we watched Entourage (for free) long before it made it to our home movie channels (for which we pay a hefty monthly fee).

I was pretty impressed with the selection of free on demand movies. Though we didn't have time for more than one. We probably watched each movie in several parts.

It's been a few years since we sailed Royal, but I remember a pretty good selection of DreamWorks movies for the kids to watch.

Royal used to have two nice movie channels with 2nd run movies run on a repeat schedule through out the cruise a few years ago. Then it was just one channel, now there is none. You can catch the Dream works movies, but they are mostly the old ones and just one channel. Even the "prime time" channels that feature TV shows like House, Person of Interest, etc. consist of just a couple of rerun shows each. Fill the rest of the channels with Royal advertising, foreign language channels (dubbed TV reruns) and Spanish Network channels.

RCI just refuses to keep up with the times.

Pretty lame.

Edited by island lady

That is one thing we really like about DCL. They have tons of Disney movies (and other movies) on demand. We usually watch at least one movie during the cruise. We like that you can pick it up where you left off.

ETA: Our cruise on the Allure a couple of years ago, my son watched soccer matches as that was about the only decent thing to watch.

Edited by rkkunk