Princess should pay for China visa screw-up

tothemall&beyond

As far as the Chinese government goes, they go by the ships passenger count, that is why everyone pays through Princess cruise line, they bill Princess.

That makes no sense.

You do not need to go through Princess to get a Chinese Visa. In fact, Princess does not process such requests.

The real problem is getting someone at Princess to say why a visa is still required when the only use would be for getting to the airport at the end of the cruise and a visa is no longer needed for that.

I wasn't aware there were certain revised visa requirements for China, this is an interesting development.

On Diamond Princess in late 2011 we had to get TWO separate visas - we were on a package organised by a TA, the first was to enter China for the land based tours, the second to re-enter at Shanghai on the ship.

Completing the application paperwork was quite tricky, however obtaining the double entry visa was straightforward as we could visit the Chinese consulate in Edinburgh, an hour away.

Handed in the applications plus passports on the Monday, collected on the Thursday - and the cost was not that excessive, the amounts quoted above in US dollars are eye watering. :eek:

The one thing that did puzzle me was the three differing prices quoted from the Embassy in London, the Consulate in Manchester and the Consulate up here - that has never been explained. :confused:

One thing I am sure about - you can't get a visa for China onboard ship, only from an Embassy or Consulate, either in person or by mail.

As I recall the Embassy website for the UK gave clear advice on visas etc., so I assume the same applies worldwide.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

nnps,

As you may have noticed, the Canberra Embassy has visa information frozen in 2013.

So, a few weeks ago, I copied them Shanghai link info you posted and asked their advice.

Politely told to contact the Shanghai General Station.

Guess Princess is the key player here as they hold the trump card on their on-line advice and denial of boarding call.

john c

jcastellatozemaildotcomdotau if you want to chat about options

Handed in the applications plus passports on the Monday, collected on the Thursday - and the cost was not that excessive, the amounts quoted above in US dollars are eye watering. :eek:

China (and a number of other countries) charges the same as the country of the applicant charges for Chinese citizens to visit.

The fee the USA charges for a visa is high, so the visa for US citizens is also high.

Apparently the fee that UK charges for a visa is not nearly as high as the USA charges, so you could pay the lower fee.

China (and a number of other countries) charges the same as the country of the applicant charges for Chinese citizens to visit.

The fee the USA charges for a visa is high, so the visa for US citizens is also high.

Apparently the fee that UK charges for a visa is not nearly as high as the USA charges, so you could pay the lower fee.

That's right. Have seen that with Brazil and other countries. The foreign service jargon for that is "reciprocity".

Thanks for that, wasn't aware of such a practice.

Incidentally, I never was able to discover why there were three differing sets of fees between the London Embassy, the and the two Consulates.

There seems to be confusion everywhere re the Chinese visa situation.

I copied the paragraph below from a roll call (not Princess).

Please don't take this as gospel :eek:as I'm only posting this for information to demonstrate that there may be 'rules' regarding the transit visa and I don't know who the 'expert' is.

"Our expert has come back, his answer is as follows, "If guests are not ending or starting their cruise in Shanghai, the 144 hour visa does not apply to them, Arriving and leaving in Shangai on Arcadia means guests are in transit and are not leaving the ship to fly out or flying in to join the ship. The 144 hour exemption was introduced for those people that either arrive by air and join a ship or arrive by ship and leave by air. Only for Shanghai and only for certain entry/exit points."

We are boarding after the ship has been to China so the visa issues don't apply to us but there has been ongoing problems in ascertaining whether or not a visa is needed. Most of the cruisers enquiring have UK passports but I know that friends of ours who left on a Princess Circle Pacific cruise that left in June needed to obtain a visa but they were Australian Passport holders.

Confusion seems to be the order of the day unfortunately :confused:

• 3 weeks later...
I have just come across this webpage:

http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4414

from the Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection which appears to show that a visa is not required.

Hi,

We are Canadians and considering to book Diamond Princess for the great itinerary. We're still confused for the Visa requirements to port of Shanghai, China. Any new updates? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
I wasn't aware there were certain revised visa requirements for China, this is an interesting development.

On Diamond Princess in late 2011 we had to get TWO separate visas - we were on a package organised by a TA, the first was to enter China for the land based tours, the second to re-enter at Shanghai on the ship.

Completing the application paperwork was quite tricky, however obtaining the double entry visa was straightforward as we could visit the Chinese consulate in Edinburgh, an hour away.

The one thing that did puzzle me was the three differing prices quoted from the Embassy in London, the Consulate in Manchester and the Consulate up here - that has never been explained. :confused:

One thing I am sure about - you can't get a visa for China onboard ship, only from an Embassy or Consulate, either in person or by mail.

As I recall the Embassy website for the UK gave clear advice on visas etc., so I assume the same applies worldwide.

We have been told by Princess we need a visa, we have researched this and have been told we DO NOT need a visa for Shanghia, by Gov.co.uk..... It's a very expensive mistake at just under £500 for a seven hrs visit

In reading through these posts I don't see where the OP came back to tell whether Princess asked to see their Chinese visa when they boarded the ship. We had a 1-day port stop in Shanghai two years ago on the Sapphire Princess and had to have the Chinese visa for that. Unfortunately, at that time we could only get a 1-year visa for our $500+. Those who got a visa this year, whether needed or not, at least have 10 years to go back and use their visa to actually see the country. There is so much to see in China that you can't begin to experience from a brief port stop. Since our visa was only good for a short time, we went back 6 months later for a 3 week tour. Wonderful experience!!

More than likely Princess's legal team was reviewing the change in the law as well as their own responsibilities and repercussions if they let someone on the cruise ship that did not have a transit within 144 hours. I doubt that the customer service team could do anything for you in regards to telling you it was no longer required until their legal review completed and new guidance was posted.

This isn't customer services fault and no matter what "proof" you provided them they would be unable to tell you a visa was not needed until the legal review completed and a new Princess policy was posted for them.

There are serious legal ramifications for any public transport company that knowingly transports passengers to a final port of call that do not meet the entry requirements.

• 3 weeks later...

The response that I got from a supposedly escalated call to their Customer Relations group was that they were aware of the 144 hour exemption, but it could not be used because Princess sent all the passenger information to Chinese immigration (which I would imagine they would have to for any government whose port they are entering) but it was capped off with a statement that passengers would not go through immigration individually (which I find hard to believe.)

After 3 calls with three different answers I'm beginning to think that answers are being fabricated on the fly.

I would be interested in hearing passenger experiences from those who have entered the port of Shanghai since the 144-hour visa exemption was implemented on January 30, 2016.

More than likely Princess's legal team was reviewing the change in the law as well as their own responsibilities and repercussions if they let someone on the cruise ship that did not have a transit within 144 hours. I doubt that the customer service team could do anything for you in regards to telling you it was no longer required until their legal review completed and new guidance was posted.

This isn't customer services fault and no matter what "proof" you provided them they would be unable to tell you a visa was not needed until the legal review completed and a new Princess policy was posted for them.

There are serious legal ramifications for any public transport company that knowingly transports passengers to a final port of call that do not meet the entry requirements.

Bottom line you will not be allowed to board the boat! This cruise is in just over a month and you are unwilling to take NO for an answer.

To be clear Princess can require anything they want and it does not matter if they are wrong as its their boat and their rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

In reading through these posts I don't see where the OP came back to tell whether Princess asked to see their Chinese visa when they boarded the ship. We had a 1-day port stop in Shanghai two years ago on the Sapphire Princess and had to have the Chinese visa for that. Unfortunately, at that time we could only get a 1-year visa for our $500+. Those who got a visa this year, whether needed or not, at least have 10 years to go back and use their visa to actually see the country. There is so much to see in China that you can't begin to experience from a brief port stop. Since our visa was only good for a short time, we went back 6 months later for a 3 week tour. Wonderful experience!!

We had a family Far East Princess cruise and I had to pay for the China visa several years ago. We left the ship a day earlier at Dalian to spend three days in Beijing. The day we were to see the Great Wall, I was terribly sick (food issue). So, with a valid visa in my passport, I talked a cousin to taking the trip with me, a totally different itinerary but ending in Beijing. I finally climbed the Great Wall. An experience not to be missed. :)

The response that I got from a supposedly escalated call to their Customer Relations group was that they were aware of the 144 hour exemption, but it could not be used because Princess sent all the passenger information to Chinese immigration (which I would imagine they would have to for any government whose port they are entering) but it was capped off with a statement that passengers would not go through immigration individually (which I find hard to believe.)

After 3 calls with three different answers I'm beginning to think that answers are being fabricated on the fly.

I would be interested in hearing passenger experiences from those who have entered the port of Shanghai since the 144-hour visa exemption was implemented on January 30, 2016.

That response makes sense. In most ports visited during acruise the cruise line gets clearance for all of the passengers on the ship, so each passenger does not have to go immigration individually. For example St Petersburg in Russia is an exception.

Aren't you the one that brought up the 144 Hour Visa Exemption for U.S. Citizens on another site?

Princess, like any other company in the transportation industry operates under a broad set of regulations. So no, they cannot arbitrarily do anything they want. And it is not unusual to be have phone agents be provided with very old or incorrect information. That even appears to be the case with Princess's website where they state one thing and the reference a 3rd party site that contradicts that information.

As for websites, much of the information on the Chinese Embassy's website is a couple of years old and the information on the Chinese consulate websites haven't been updated since 2013.

As for how long it may take to get a China visa, I was reminded by a former co-worker that a visa can be obtained from the consulate in a few hours under pressing circumstances and with the payment of an additional $30 rush fee (as I recall, he had to get one that way.) Normally, a visa application through the consulate takes about 4 days. However, if you go through one of the travel agent visa processing services it could take weeks or months.

Bottom line you will not be allowed to board the boat! This cruise is in just over a month and you are unwilling to take NO for an answer.

To be clear Princess can require anything they want and it does not matter if they are wrong as its their boat and their rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, I was hoping to get some feedback from some passengers that had gone through the Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal to see what their experience may have been.

On a recent Alaskan cruise that had to stop off in Victoria BC (to satisfy the international stop requirement,) U.S. citizens had to go through immigration. Passport holders of other countries had their passports held by Princess before arrival (assuming that info had to be sent ahead) and then had to go through immigration as well.

That's why the statement about not going through immigration individually didn't quite sound right for a country that has strict border controls, like China.

That response makes sense. In most ports visited during acruise the cruise line gets clearance for all of the passengers on the ship, so each passenger does not have to go immigration individually. For example St Petersburg in Russia is an exception.

we had a similar situation early this year when we did a P&O UK cruise (1 leg of round world). We had to pay for a one entry visa for China. Cost $200 each even though we knew we didn't need it. Ended up we didn't get to Shanghai or Taiwan as the weather was too rough and so we sailed up and down the coast of China for 4 days. Ship briefly went to Shanghai to refuel (no one allowed off the ship). Visa was cancelled and just a short note sent to cabin to say - Sorry for the inconvenience. Very expensive journey to nowhere. mummsie

I feel sorry for the OP, but everyone must realize, in China, 'rules', 'regulations' & 'laws' change all the time and very often without notice. Even with notice, a change can be rescinded on a whim... without notice. EVERYTHING is subject to interpretation by a party member official who makes decisions based on 'the good of the people' i.e. what will line his wallet with the biggest bills (he IS 'the people').

Princess is simply practicing CYA... so they don't get 'caught out' - the pax do.

When they speak about transit visa, it usually means you are first getting on the ship in Shanghai, or you are permanently disembarking in Shanghai within 144 hours.

If the cruise begins or ends in Shanghai, and you are arriving or leaving within 144 hours, before or after the cruise (arriving or leaving of different flights or cruise ships) you meet those requirements.

If you are merely making a port stop in Shanghai and entering and departing on the same ship, it might not fit the law as it reads. I believe that is where the confusion might be.