My haven experience

dolphin lady

I was recently on the BA cruise with the Canadian vacationers and their many many loud, obnoxious and ill-mannered children.

I moved myself to the forward smoking area of the Haven sundeck (I don't smoke) one afternoon, to get further away from a particularly loud group of kids, enjoying a card game. They had just as much right to be on the Haven deck as I did. They paid. I paid. They are kids, and they were having a good time. The parent that was with them didn't seem to care about all the noise they were making. No big deal, they were having some fun, so I just moved to a quieter location.

I want to thank the two people who were in the Haven smoking area with me, for their kindness and consideration. It was the SMOKING SECTION and they very politely asked me if I minded if they smoked!! Of course, I don't mind if you smoke there, that's what it's for! They clearly knew I was just trying to get some peace and quiet. How very nice of them to ask! Thank you very much to both of you!

My point is that when you are on a ship with 4000 other people, a little bit of gracious kindness and consideration can go a very long way in making or breaking someone's vacation. We all want to have a good time. It just doesn't always have to be at someone else's expense. Cruise responsibly, please!!

Probably because most people associate the word haven with "a refuge from a place of storm or consternation" and as far as quiet and calm are concerned the Haven doesn't live up to it's name.

Norwegian advertises their Haven suites as private and tranquil. Perhaps as much of a misnomer as the mini-suite which is nothing more than a big balcony.

I sailed on Epic's first Christmas cruise in the Haven. The teenagers totally dominated the hot tubs in the Haven while the little kids played with their toys in the Haven pool. But they are equal guests like everyone else. NCL caters to families with kids in the Haven. The Haven itself is not an adults only area. I always refer to the Haven pool as the rich kid's swimming pool ;) While some look at all the kids in the Haven with scorn, NCL smiles to see happy families. Kids are kids and supposed to run and splash. I have seen adults in the Haven behave much more inappropriate. Once in the Haven restaurant a women was so obnoxious during dinner that once she left with her party the entire restaurant burst into applause.

Simple solution. NCL should create kid's free zones in the Haven complex and have more adult only areas like Posh on Epic. Or how about one hot tub for adults only and create a kiddie pool in the Haven.

Edited by david_sobe

Still thank my lucky stars that I cruise only when the little bas...er...sons o...er...darlings...are in school. I know not everyone can, but, yay me!

Sorry. Just take them out of school.

I love how people forget they were kids once.

I've honestly run into more adults that cause problems than kids when I vacation. Adults have a greater sense of entitlement for starters.

Simple solution. NCL should create kid's free zones in the Haven complex and have more adult only areas like Posh on Epic. Or how about one hot tub for adults only and create a kiddie pool in the Haven.

In like this idea a great deal especially if they make that pool an appropriate depth.

Btw "rich kid's swimming pool" made me chuckle.

I love how people forget they were kids once.

I've honestly run into more adults that cause problems than kids when I vacation. Adults have a greater sense of entitlement for starters.

I agree with this! Honestly the Haven is marketed to families as well - there are over 20 two bedroom cabins on the Breakaway targeted towards families.....there are going to be children in the Haven. If you want a children free area - get a Vibe pass or go to the spa.

Edited by jmae2002

That is disappointing! :(

There have always been kids in the Haven when we have sailed - but fortunately they have been well behaved.

A bigger problem - for us on the Escape 2.20.16 - was adults bringing the non-Haven "friends" to hang out on the Haven sundeck. On a sea day - folks from the Haven could not get seats outside because a bunch were occupied by those from outside the Haven.

A bar server even told them that they could not be in the Haven without permission from the concierge when they presented their cards to get drinks. Told them they would have to leave. They said "we are here with our friends" and the server brought them their drinks anyway! :mad: :eek: :mad: They were quite loud and boisterous about enjoying the area and this is the way to do it - while keeping those who paid for it from being able to enjoy it.

VERY frustrating!

I was on the 2/20-27 sailing on the Escape. That explains the crowded sun Deck of having friends outside the Haven. We had a group of 28 on the ship and we didn't bring them up to the sun deck (we did bring 1 or 2 to the restaurant but that didn't effect anyone else in the Haven). I also thought the kids in the Haven pool were a little annoying. I thought it would be more of an adults type situation. For the amount of money we spent on a suite, I shouldn't have to spend more on Vide to get to relax by and use a pool and not have a bunch of kids. I know it is promoted for families...so it is what it is. We are going on the Getaway next year, but I am not going to spend that kind of money for a Haven suite when I can go out to the main deck and deal with children just as easy and cheaper.

Edited by CbusCruiser

We were on the Getaway at New Years. We loved our Vibe passes. Funny thing - many days a man "escaped" from Haven, and came and sat at the Vibe bar. I say escaped, because as he walked through the door from Haven, the noise was really loud compared to Vibe. Guess it depends what experience you are looking for, and willing to pay for.

My first NCL cruise was in December. We were in the Haven. Yes, there were kids on board. It was the best cruise experience I have had yet!! I'm already planning another Haven booking!! :)

Seems to me Vibe passes are what some of you should get to guarantee you will not have a child sighting.

When I was on breakaway we saw many people asked to leave the area. Friends or no friends-they were gone!!

If you want the true Haven experience, you have to choose an older ship; GEM or JADE

I disagree. The Haven wasnt introduced until the Epic came out so the "True Haven" experience is only on the newer "away ships". They just tried to put them on the Jewel class ships. I sailed the Gem when it first came out....There was no Haven

I disagree. The Haven wasnt introduced until the Epic came out so the "True Haven" experience is only on the newer "away ships". They just tried to put them on the Jewel class ships. I sailed the Gem when it first came out....There was no Haven

Sorry, but this is incorrect. The Jewel class ships always had the Haven area from the time they were built. It was just that only certain level suites had Haven access unlike the "away" ships where all suites have Haven access.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. The Jewel class ships always had the Haven area from the time they were built. It was just that only certain level suites had Haven access unlike the "away" ships where all suites have Haven access.

Well then it wasnt called "Haven"....The Gem and Pearl came out back in 2007. I dont ever remember them being called "Haven". Just suites:confused:

Well then it wasnt called "Haven"....The Gem and Pearl came out back in 2007. I dont ever remember them being called "Haven". Just suites:confused:

When the localized suite areas were introduced it was a private area called The Courtyard. The suited were Courtyard Suites.

The area was rebranded around Epic time ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So the Havens were not just thrown on to the Jade, Pearl etc.

Back then certain PH suites also were afforded Courtyard/ concierge level service

My kids loved using the special slot in the elevator just for Courtyard access

So the Havens were not just thrown on to the Jade, Pearl etc.

Back then certain PH suites also were afforded Courtyard/ concierge level service

My kids loved using the special slot in the elevator just for Courtyard access

Nope. Only those on the courtyard floor PLUS the Owner's and Deluxe Owner's had courtyard access. I think NCL ran a one week "experiment" entitling all full suites access. It was a disaster and quickly rescinded. Seem to recall it might have been on the Jade.

Nope. Only those on the courtyard floor PLUS the Owner's and Deluxe Owner's had courtyard access. I think NCL ran a one week "experiment" entitling all full suites access. It was a disaster and quickly rescinded. Seem to recall it might have been on the Jade.

I remember that disaster! It was on a Jade European sailing and there were a lot of very unhappy Haven cruisers! I believe that those who complained did receive some compensation.

Just looked at a very old book of deck plans for the Jewel. As stated above, the area was called "The Courtyard" when the ship was originally built.

On Escape the guests in suites have access and are allowed in to the haven pool deck? Or are you saying all the ships suites are part of the haven?

Jewel class ships have a very small Haven (courtyard.) On that class only the Garden Villas, owners and deluxe owners suites and Haven 2 bdrm and 1 bdrm penthouse suites located in the courtyard complex have access. (The only suites outside the courtyard complex with access are owners and deluxe owners suites.) Regular, non- haven suites do not have access. On the new builds the haven is much larger and all full suites have access.

On Escape the guests in suites have access and are allowed in to the haven pool deck? Or are you saying all the ships suites are part of the haven?

Yes, on the Escape all suites have access to the Haven area no matter where they are located on the ship. This is also the case for all the "away" ships.

On Escape all suites are Haven rooms they start with a H. That includes aft, spa, forward, ect it does not matter if they are located in the Haven area or outside it. They all have access to the Haven lounge restaurant, pool, sundeck.