Proud of the Pride

The Pride 2/28/16 Proud to be Pride

About us. I’m 66, my wife is 60, and this was our 15th cruise. We cruise on Carnival and RCI. This was our 4th cruise on the Pride. We stayed in room 4211. The room is located above the dining room and after 9:30 is very a very quiet location on the ship. There is talk of a vibration at the end of the ship and that is still there but our room was far enough forward we didn’t feel it at all.

2016_0301_125124AA.JPG

First Day

We drove from our home in the Shenandoah Valley of Va. And that take about 2.5 hours with a pit stop on the way. We arrived at the terminal around 11:30. Checked our bag, paid the parking fee, and in to the terminal. Apparently everyone else came about the same time too but the lines moved smoothly and security and check in went well. By 1 we were on the ship heading to our room. It wasn’t ready but the steward Randy (great job Randy) let us put our carry-on bag and camera in the room.

Now we headed to the Lido deck for lunch and decided to check out Guy’s. To our surprise there was no line at all. We walked up, ordered our burgers, got our toppings and drinks and found a table. The burgers are as advertised if not better. A great start to our cruise. The rest of the day we explored the ship so see what was new. With the temps being close to 60 it made for a great day exploring the outside of the ship. This being our 4th cruise on the Pride but the first after the 2.0 upgrades we found the ship to be in fantastic shape. The crew apparently takes great pride in the Pride. The Muster drill was around 4 and went smoothly for our zone but the people on the port side of the ship was held in place for some reason. Maybe to help clear the hallway? Don’t know. We set sail shortly after 4:30 and started down the bay.

That evening we eat at Dave’s and this was our first time eating there. What a wonderful experience. Fantastic service and food. The waiter even asked if either of us was left handed to set out our place setting for a more comfortable experience. Wow so cool. We got our free bottle of wine and along with the two we bought on board with us we had everything going right. After Dave’s we did a long walk to settle our dinner and back to the room to relax and go to bed. It had been a long day.

First sea day.

We started the day at the Blue Iguana Barito Bar for a breakfast Barito. Wasn’t sure how we would like it but it was actually very good. Not sure I would want them often but a nice option. Lunch was at the deli, always a winner on a Carnival ship. That evening after dinner we went to the Red Frog Pup (old Starry Nights Club) and enjoyed the School of Groove. Great band and it was Motown night so great music. This was also Elegant night so it was fun to see everyone dressed up for the evening.

Second Sea Day

We started with breakfast in the dining room and that is an option everyone should try. A nice way to start the day. Basically the second sea day is a little slow so we spent time people watching and reading. Lunch from the buffet along with ice-cream, yum.

Cape Canaveral

We started with room service and an early start to Disney Studios. Disney was a great excursion. Lots of fun things to see and do. Back to the ship around 5:30 so we skipped the dining room and headed for the buffet after getting a cleaned up a bit.

2016_0302_132134AA.JPG

Nassau

We decided to not do an excursion here and just check things out at the port. To be honest Nassau’s port needs some work. Once you could find lots of shops in the port building but now only very few. We had info that going to Diamond’s International we could get free wifi but neither phone would connect. I’m thinking it was a come on just to get customers in the store. We spent the rest of the day on board on our balcony. Nice, warm, and enjoyable with drink in hand.

2016_0303_141425AA.JPG

Freeport

Here we did the Town and Brewery tour. We actually did this tour one other time and it was just as much fun this time as last. Our bus driver, Tiny was great and kept us laughing the whole time. Lots of beer included at the brewery and everyone was feeling no pain on the way back to the ship. In Free Port there were three ships in that day, Bahama Celebration (old Carnival ship), the Carnival Fascination, and the Pride. In dry dock was a Celebrity ship. Lots of folks don’t care for Free Port but if you go take the Town and Brewery tour. Also remember this is a working port town with a large container operation there that is neat to see in operation. We sail early from Free Port, 1:30 to start back to Baltimore and the ship puts the hammer down for this part of the trip. That evening we went to the comedy club for the PG show. The guy that did the show, Russ Nagle was great.

2016_0304_085534AA.JPG

2016_0304_132707AA.JPG

Last sea day

We slept in and went to the dining room for breakfast one last time. I went to the Q&A while my wife went to the gem. The Q&A is always fun and you learn a lot about life on a cruise ship. After that Guys Burgers one last time. Watched a new game being played in the Atrium called Botchy Ball. Not sure if I spelled that right. It was the first time they tried it on this ship. After that we went back to the room to chill before getting ready for dinner. The ocean was a little rough that day and people had some problems getting around. A lady had fallen in the dining room lobby and the medical people were attending to her. She looked unconscious and we never did her any more about here. Hope she was alright.

2016_0303_105814AA.JPG

Last day

Up at 7, went for breakfast, and went to the theater to wait for our debarkation time. We did the self-assist program and we were called shortly after 10 and were in our truck on the way back home by 11. We pack light, one large bag and one carry-on bag. The self-assist program works great at Baltimore.

Now a few observations.

The ship is in great shape. With the new 2.0 upgrades and the general maintenance she really looks good.

Service may have been the best we have ever had. All the employees would great you in the hallways and wish you a nice day or evening. Our room steward and table waiters were on top of everything. We like a bucket of ice in our room and only had to call one time to get it refilled. They were there as soon as we hung up the phone.

American Table

No problems here at all. A tablecloth doesn’t make the meal. Having a pitcher of water and a basket of bread on the table actually make the dining enjoyment better. Need bread? You don’t have to wait for a server, same with a fill up of water. They do have the full service on elegant nights. Liking the American Table better! As for the menu we always found something fun and different to try. Food was always good and the Flatiron steak is a must try.

Guys Burgers

I love barbecuing at home and for me a good burger is hard to beat. Guys met my expiations the three times I had one. As he says Off the Hook.

Music

Only entertainment in the Atrium and Red Frog Pup. No longer do they have a show band (bummer). Cut backs need to stop. Just a DJ at the pool.

Thanks for reading.

Sir Cruise-a-Lot

Sailing the Pride in Nov. ( First cruise ever!)

I read everything I can that has Pride in the heading.

Loved your review, short and to the point!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great review and great Screen name!!! So great for all of you on East coast to get to and so glad you enjoyed the 2.0 Pride. I sure enjoyed the steak house too..that or Chef's table now for me on next Carnival Cruise.

Edited by sjn911