Smoked salmon at breakfast?

T8NCruise

Oh yeah I'm good with a ribeye :) but prefer filet. Medium to med rare please. Do you want me to discuss beef tataki, and how I sometimes make it as a special treat? Probably not ;)

Hmmm maybe I should ask Walt if I can change my screen name :)

Please say no more cause my imagination is kicking in:o

What is gravlax? Sounds awful:confused:

Gravlax is salmon that is cured with sugar, salt, and dill (sometimes other herbs are added). So it is cured (or "pickled" sort-of). The texture is pretty similar to that of cold-smoked salmon IMHO. I make it at home sometimes.

Smoked salmon is brined, then smoked. The "woogly" stuff is cold-smoked, so the texture is closer to (sorry to use this word, but it is the only one I can think of....) raw salmon than a hot-smoked salmon is. So, both gravlax and cold-smoked salmon have a strong resemblance in texture to raw salmon.

Hot-smoked salmon ends up being cooked, and has a texture that is un-woogly, like a regular piece of cooked salmon, but with a smoked flavour

HAL serves the cold-smoked stuff. (And now I am wondering why I didn't make gravlax when we had fresh salmon last year :( )

edited to add: I hope that helps :) and now I'll try to stop talking about "woogly" food :)

Edited by CowPrincess

Gravlax is salmon that is cured with sugar, salt, and dill (sometimes other herbs are added). So it is cured (or "pickled" sort-of). The texture is pretty similar to that of cold-smoked salmon IMHO. I make it at home sometimes.

Smoked salmon is brined, then smoked. The "woogly" stuff is cold-smoked, so the texture is closer to (sorry to use this word, but it is the only one I can think of....) raw salmon than a hot-smoked salmon is. So, both gravlax and cold-smoked salmon have a strong resemblance in texture to raw salmon.

Hot-smoked salmon ends up being cooked, and has a texture that is un-woogly, like a regular piece of cooked salmon, but with a smoked flavour

HAL serves the cold-smoked stuff. (And now I am wondering why I didn't make gravlax when we had fresh salmon last year :( )

edited to add: I hope that helps :) and now I'll try to stop talking about "woogly" food :)

Thank you. I think.:o

Explained like a true WestCoaster!

I like the appetizer platter of hot smoked, cold smoked, gravlax and a prawn: I don't have to remember which is which, which I like better.........

Edited by SilvertoGold

What is gravlax? Sounds awful:confused:

Thankyou...now I know what gravlax is. It sounded like something you took medicinally after you ate the woogly stuff from a questionable source . Smoked salmon takes on very many different forms doesn't it?

Good job.

See....... CC is educational. You learned something new today. :D :D :cool:

Thankyou...now I know what gravlax is. It sounded like something you took medicinally after you ate the woogly stuff from a questionable source . Smoked salmon takes on very many different forms doesn't it?

If nothing else, I now have the perfect word for it. Woogly - just right.😊

Love oysters! Love sashimi! Love beef tataki! Love beef tartare (raw mince mixed with raw egg, capers etc)! Love smoked salmon and ocean trout! Love gravalax (father in law has several recipes).

Strangely though I like my steaks cooked medium hate it rare [emoji12]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Love oysters! Love sashimi! Love beef tataki! Love beef tartare (raw mince mixed with raw egg, capers etc)! Love smoked salmon and ocean trout! Love gravalax (father in law has several recipes).

Strangely though I like my steaks cooked medium hate it rare [emoji12]

Oh my goodness.....one of mans very first inventions was....FIRE.....according to the above list.....some men abhor it. Not a good thing to read first thing in the morning......raw eggs huh?.....*~urp~*

I entered "what is gravlax" in google and the very first and second responses provided an explanation of the differences between smoked salmon and gravlax.

That's interesting to know, I thought they were one and the same.

Thank you for explaining the difference between the two ways to prepare salmon, now I don't have to look that up. I will however be looking into how to prepare gravlax at home, it certainly sounds do-able. We made home made sausage last night. It was actually pretty easy, and way less fatty than store bought sausage. Yummy sausage with no greasy mess. I'd love to make our own gravlax and maybe smoked salmon as well. In the meantime, there's our cruise breakfasts to look forward to! lol

I never noticed a smoked flavor, I thought Holland America's cold salmon product was just brined. Isn't it called lox?

Oh my goodness.....one of mans very first inventions was....FIRE.....according to the above list.....some men abhor it. Not a good thing to read first thing in the morning......raw eggs huh?.....*~urp~*

This is a cruising forum, the original seafarers had to "cure" everything. You should be onboard haha

Do you like cold meats? Prosciutto, Parma ham, Copa etc all raw cured ... Yummy!!!!!!!

or Nova Scotia type salmon that isn't salty at all. I have had the Scottish smoked salmon served sliced very thin and wide served with sweet butter and toast points. Our Publix market sells Gravlax, peppered smoked, Nova and lox so you can take your choice. In NYC they sell belly lox which is very salty.

The hard smoked salmon is sold mostly in the northwest and Alaska.

Explained like a true WestCoaster!

>SNIP<

I'm blushing, that is high praise from a real WestCoaster! :) Thank you! Food/cooking is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Thank you...now I know what gravlax is. It sounded like something you took medicinally after you ate the woogly stuff from a questionable source . Smoked salmon takes on very many different forms doesn't it?

You're welcome. And you are right -- it does sound a bit like Gravol :D :eek: :)

Edited by CowPrincess

or Nova Scotia type salmon that isn't salty at all. I have had the Scottish smoked salmon served sliced very thin and wide served with sweet butter and toast points. Our Publix market sells Gravlax, peppered smoked, Nova and lox so you can take your choice. In NYC they sell belly lox which is very salty.

The hard smoked salmon is sold mostly in the northwest and Alaska.

Yes, there is smoked salmon referred to as "Nova" which is milder and somewhat less salty than 'lox'. I prefer Nova Scotia type. Lox is

Edited by sail7seas