For those of us who enjoy NCL cruising

Zeno

I actually got this idea from elsewhere. Those of us who have taken more than one NCL cruise - why do you choose to cruise on NCL as opposed to other lines? And even more specifically what do you especially enjoy about NCL ships?

OK - me first - why do I cruise with NCL (I will be going on my 3rd NCL cruise in Jan 2006)

1. Price - I have always gotten pretty good deals with NCL

2. Itineraries - I like interesting intensive port itineraries. For some people the on-board experience is paramount - for me interesting ports are critically important. I don't like many days at sea.

3. Freestyle - dining, dressing and disembarkation

4. Crew - non-obsequious professional service

What do I especially LOVE?

Freestyle is wonderful for me (and yes I know it is not for everyone).

Freestyle dining is great - I get to choose when I eat (I hate rushing to a set seating time after a busy day on shore) and with whom I eat ( I love dining alone with my travel companion(s) and I had one very bad experience with assigned seating on another cruiseline ).

Freestyle disembarkation is so much more comfortable than waiting in a crowded public area with hundreds of other people. We just relax in our cabin and say good bye to our steward when our colour is called.

Freestyle dressing also suits my casual lifestyle. I find dressing up boring (I know some people love it) and I can pack a lot less. We find NCL's dressing rules easy to follow (dockers or some other casual pants for my husband in the evening and plain pants and top or a sundress for me).

I don't think NCL's "style" suits everyone but it suits me. Does that mean I would only cruise NCL? Of course not - I am "loyal" to an experience that suits me but any company that can provide the same type of experience for the same price could get my business. Or of course if I get REALLY rich - I am switching to Seabourn.

Or of course if I get REALLY rich - I am switching to Seabourn.

Nah, if you get rich, switch to Oceania--no dress code or assigned seating. (Although it does bug me that every single person in last year's brochure is white and very high-maintenance-looking.)

Most of our NCL cruises were taken in the early-to-mid-1990s, before Freestyle. So what brought us back? The crew (friendliest, and they seem to stay with the line a long time), the food (subjective, I know, but I love the Presidents Menu), and the convenience of sailing from Boston.

Nah, if you get rich, switch to Oceania--no dress code or assigned seating. (Although it does bug me that every single person in last year's brochure is white and very high-maintenance-looking.)

ummmh ... i suspect that is an accurate representation of their pax!

Zeno, you pretty well listed all my reasons for enjoying NCL. There is one more, however. That is the class of people who sail her. They are much more laid back, seeking fun and relaxation, and non-judgmental toward others. Unlike some I've found on some other lines who are uptight and expect all around them to act and dress to fulfill the illusion that they are privileged and of the elite. But yet they sail mass market lines. Watched too many old movies, I guess. I'm just a down home guy who enjoys a broad range of people.

My favorite reason for cruising with NCL (I've done 3) is the easy dress code. Resort Casual is comfortable while attractive. Formal night is optional, however I will wear a dressy coctail dress. My husband will wear a dark suit on that evening.

Two of our three cruises were aboard the Majesty, where the service was MAJESTIC. We were treated like royalty, and sorry to see the trip end.

I actually got this idea from elsewhere. Those of us who have taken more than one NCL cruise - why do you choose to cruise on NCL as opposed to other lines? And even more specifically what do you especially enjoy about NCL ships?

OK - me first - why do I cruise with NCL (I will be going on my 3rd NCL cruise in Jan 2006)

1. Price - I have always gotten pretty good deals with NCL

2. Itineraries - I like interesting intensive port itineraries. For some people the on-board experience is paramount - for me interesting ports are critically important. I don't like many days at sea.

3. Freestyle - dining, dressing and disembarkation

4. Crew - non-obsequious professional service

What do I especially LOVE?

Freestyle is wonderful for me (and yes I know it is not for everyone).

Freestyle dining is great - I get to choose when I eat (I hate rushing to a set seating time after a busy day on shore) and with whom I eat ( I love dining alone with my travel companion(s) and I had one very bad experience with assigned seating on another cruiseline ).

Freestyle disembarkation is so much more comfortable than waiting in a crowded public area with hundreds of other people. We just relax in our cabin and say good bye to our steward when our colour is called.

Freestyle dressing also suits my casual lifestyle. I find dressing up boring (I know some people love it) and I can pack a lot less. We find NCL's dressing rules easy to follow (dockers or some other casual pants for my husband in the evening and plain pants and top or a sundress for me).

You pretty much sum up our feelings toward NCL. We went with a national travel agency on our first cruise, and it happened to be NCL. Since then, April, 2002, we have had no reason to look elsewhere. We like each ship's management, staff, crew, food, entertainment, price, ship features, etc. Though we may not know any better, we just keep returning. We also have not had any long range plans for cruising, we just seem to go cruise to cruise. When we run out of things to do with NCL, maybe we'll experiment with someone else. Until then, we're happy!!

Zeno has hit the high spots:

Freestyle number 1 reason for us: followed by friendly crew, good itineraries and the awesome choices for eating. I guess that does fall under Freestyle. DH like the port intensive itinerary lines and certainly NCL fits into that. Many lines leaving out of Galveston (almost Houston) only hit 2 ports or maybe 3. Even wishing they would make a few changes, we still will always rate them at the top!!!!

NMNita

Freestyle dining and dress are highlights for us. We also enjoy sailing from a local port for h/c convenience. People are amusing and once I get to the port of NY, when I have to wait, the show is awesome. I rarely get worked up by the crowds, noise, traffic or lines. It is NEW YORK. What do you expect!!! Excitement, lively activities and noise. Entertainment that you don't have to pay for. Look around, watch the people getting on and coming off the ship. Smile, you're on vacation once you leave your home. Add to that you can eat what you want, when you want and dressed (with some limits) as you want. I LOVE IT!!! Crusing!!!!

Excuse me for getting carried away!

Our first cruise with NCL was almost 3 years ago on the Dawn. This was after cruises on Carnival and RCCL. We booked a BE Gty room. About a week before the cruise we tried to get an up-grade to a Mini Suite. There were none left. But, what a deal we got for a Penthouse Suite. So, we took it. Boy, were we spoiled! Besides the beautiful large cabin and balcony, the extra service, perks, parties, etc. were wonderful. So, we were hooked. We have recently booked our 3rd NCL cruise, this time on the Spirit. A penthouse Suite, of course. Add to that the Freestyle Dining, wonderful crews and service, beautiful clean ships, etc and we have found our favorite cruise line. We have priced out other cruise lines and suites. Some lines don't even offer extra perks with their suites. Those who do, like Princess, are more expensive. So, NCL offers great suites and extra perks at an affordable price.

I just thought of another important reason why we have gotten so attached to NCL. It's the community here on the Cruise Critic Message Board, and I'm not just saying that to be nice. I started here just prior to our first cruise in 2002, having absolutley no knowledge of cruising. The information I got at that time was so helpful, and certainly contributed to our enjoyment on that cruise and all others since. I know there are other CC boards, and alternate cruise boards as well, but I'm not trying to compare because I rarely stray. I'm just pointing out how much information and enjoyment I've gotten from this board, and realize it has certainly contributed to our enjoyment of NCL. Since you can always get your questions answered, we continue to thrlive in our cruising world of NCL.

Thanks everyone, keep up the good work!!

PS. I'm currently in a crash course on the Jewel, having booked the 10/21/05 cruise on Tuesday night.:)

I have sailed on NCL Jewel for a 2 night mini-cruise, I have a 20 night cruise/stay on NCL Crown in December and I have just booked a 17 night extended Transatlantic on Dream for next September.

I really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and the ambience aboard NCL ships, I cannot fault the crews in any way. Always courteous and efficient, always easy to talk to and ask questions of..no matter how silly the questions may seem..they are always polite and if they don't know the answer themselves, they find out from someone else.

Definately my cruiseline of choice. :)

ummmh ... i suspect that is an accurate representation of their pax!

I suspect you're right, Trina! But more than that, it's a representation of who they WANT as passengers...when the only people of color in the brochure are smiling crew members serving drinks, that tells me something about Oceania.

Our firrst NCL cruise was on the Sunward II in 1978 (ouch!). We have enjoyed them ever since (six and counting).

But I must admit, along with others, that freestyle keeps us coming back. I really don't know if I could get my DH to cruise on a line with traditional dining. We love the dining choices on NCL.

Kathy

Been on one cruise to date. It was NCL, on the Star, in Hawaii.

Why did I choose it? My parents and some other family members went on the same cruise. They loved it. So, when my work had a slow period open up and my manager suggested I take a vacation, I looked into the cruise and booked it.

It was great. This board lead directly to some very nice "perks". I really liked the concept of Freestyle dining. I don't have issues with setting a dining time in advance, but to be locked into the same time 7 nights in a row is something I would like to avoid. NCL delivers in this area. A few nights we had set reservations in specialty restaurant. But they were times we picked on a case by case basis to meet our needs/desires. Other nights, we just showed up to a main dining room. Sometimes, we had a table for two. Other times, we joined another group. It really worked out well. No complaints at all.

Will I try other cruise lines? Sure. For mass market lines, Princess offers a dine anytime option. I'd like that. For "luxury" lines, I'd love to give RSSC a shot. But I'd even be willing to give "traditional" style a shot, especially on Celebrity.

Freestyle is my primary reason for loving NCL. Love the freedom of choices - dine when I want, where I want, with whom I want. No fixed seating times for me. No table assignment where compatible tablemates are a crap shoot. And I love the resort casual dress code. On the newer ships, I love the number and diversity of dining venues.

Freestyle is my primary reason for loving NCL. Love the freedom of choices - dine when I want, where I want, with whom I want. No fixed seating times for me. No table assignment where compatible tablemates are a crap shoot. And I love the resort casual dress code. On the newer ships, I love the number and diversity of dining venues.

Dito :D

I have to agree with most others. It's all about freestyle. I removes, for me, the most awkward thing about cruising.....DINNER! My partner and I would be concerned about being seated at a table with 8 strangers. I know, I know, we would probably meet great people and have a wonderful time. However, I have heard way too many horror stories from friends of how some people react when two men in their 40's appear for the first dinner. It would really be stress on us that I don't experience in my daily life and certainly don't want to come accross on a paid vacation. I found it wonderfully relaxing to get a table for two and not have any issues.

Our firrst NCL cruise was on the Sunward II in 1978 (ouch!). We have enjoyed them ever since (six and counting).

But I must admit, along with others, that freestyle keeps us coming back. I really don't know if I could get my DH to cruise on a line with traditional dining. We love the dining choices on NCL.

Kathy

We are doing Celebrity for our granddaughters wedding, DH would do anything if she had chosen NCL instead. He doesn't want to bring or wear a suit. Of course he would had had to wear one for the wedding either way. NMNita

We like NCL for the variety it brings to the overall cruise market.

The Freestyle concept is definitely a departure from Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America, etc, and we enjoy it for it's strengths. We're sailing the Spirit next week and are looking forward to a laid back cruise.

410-3240_Blk_sml.jpg

Two weeks later, we'll sail Crystal. We'll love the formal atmosphere there as much as we'll enjoy the casualness of NCL.

tuxedo_outfit.jpg

Variety and choices....that's what it's all about. And NCL is a leader in the market when it comes to offering us variety.

Archived