Any Idea What Carnival Did With Their Old "Ghost Lady" Chargers Since American Table?

ShakyBeef

So here's an off-the-wall question... Does anyone have any idea what Carnival might have done with all those old chargers that they used to use in the MDR, before the American Table changeover? The ones that came in several colour schemes, but all had the same blurry images of (it looked like) Victorian ladies on them, with gold accents? I called them the Ghost Lady Plates, because the image of the lady looked kinda ghostly, and even mildly Titanic-esque.

Anyway, my real question is, how could I get my hands on some of those chargers? I wish I knew of somewhere I could buy them. I'd love to have a set for old times' sake. (As a bonus, they wouldn't look out of place in my late-1800's house.:))

I know this is a very unlikely request, but if anyone knows whom I might contact to try to buy some of these used plates from Carnival, or even the make of the plates so that I could try to track them down, new or used, elsewhere, I would be very grateful.:o

Thank you!:)

(See the bit of the "Ghost Lady" on the left of the charger?)

192213.jpg

ETA: I've done some digging elsewhere online, and it looks like the maker might be Vertex? And the design, "Euro"? But still having no luck finding this pattern anywhere...

Edited by ShakyBeef

We called them ghost plates too.

I would like a set too.

That's funny that I'm not the only one.:p

So, I found this old thread from 2009:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1053777

...and at that time, posters were saying that they could only be bought onboard, directly from Carnival. But if they aren't being used onboard anymore, our chances of being able to buy them onboard don't seem very good.:(

We had the ghost ladies on the Dream last year. I don't believe they've switched to American Table yet.

I wonder if they would be selling them onboard Dream, then? Unfortunately, I won't be sailing a Carnival ship other than Pride for the foreseeable future. And Pride has AT. I'd love to know what they did with those thousands and thousands of plates from all the ships that have gone to AT. I hate to think they might have been thrown in the garbage.:(

Too funny we also called those ghost plates! Does not sound silly at all! I would love to have a set. I agree they would be perfect for you 1800's home. Lucky you to live in a home that age. :) What do the new one look like with the American table? We have the American Table for the first time next month.

Too funny we also called those ghost plates! Does not sound silly at all! I would love to have a set. I agree they would be perfect for you 1800's home. Lucky you to live in a home that age. :) What do the new one look like with the American table? We have the American Table for the first time next month.

I haven't had it yet, either, but I don't think they are using chargers at all in AT. I have seen the pictures of the AT place settings before dinner is served, and the only plate is the little, square, brown & white bread plate.

Thanks, I love this old house.:o It's almost perfect. I just think the dining room table needs a little, ghostly, cruise-memory-inducing something. Maybe 8 to 12 somethings.;)

I haven't had it yet, either, but I don't think they are using chargers at all in AT. I have seen the pictures of the AT place settings before dinner is served, and the only plate is the little, square, brown & white bread plate.

Thanks, I love this old house.:o It's almost perfect. I just think the dining room table needs a little, ghostly, cruise-memory-inducing something. Maybe 8 to 12 somethings.;)

Thank you for the info and I'm sorry for the typos in my other post, I need to learn to proof read better.:o

I hope you find them or maybe write John Heald, maybe he can help you out and point you in the right direction.

I have used a website that is replacements dot com before and it shows that pattern listed but out of stock. If you contact them, they will attempt to find it for you and let you know when it is available.

I have used a website that is replacements dot com before and it shows that pattern listed but out of stock. If you contact them, they will attempt to find it for you and let you know when it is available.

Thanks. That may end up being the only way to go.

Tried E-bay?

Yep, no luck. A few plates by Vertex, but not that pattern. Thanks.:)

Thank you for the info and I'm sorry for the typos in my other post, I need to learn to proof read better.:o

I hope you find them or maybe write John Heald, maybe he can help you out and point you in the right direction.

Thank you. And don't apologize - your typos were no worse than what my posts are usually filled with. Sometimes my fingers get going faster than my brain when I'm typing. The sad truth about that statement is that I'm a very slow typist.:rolleyes::o

Thanks for the JH idea, but I don't go to his site(s). I just don't like him. So it would be pretty crappy of me to go to him and ask for something.:o I'll have to try other routes. Maybe I'll call Carnival on Monday and try to get connected to whatever department might know about this...

I promise that if I have any success, I'll report here, for those of you who would like to have some, too.

I LOVE dishes and tea sets, making miss matched ones in antique stores...that is a fun idea!! Good luck Shakeybeef...I know you will find them. Keep checking E-bay and Esty..always changing...

Replacements are great and will watch...and send you notices...LOVE looking there.

I found an almost impossible one missing salad fork to mom's silver on E-bay after even looking in Denmark where they were from in the 80's...she lost it before I was born and found it just after she passed...lol..she knows..

Edited by sjn911

You'll find most big hotel and other type of companies, prolly even cruise ships, donate all their old furniture/bedding/etc to thrift stores. You may want to try guest services and see if it was indeed being changed out and who they donate their stuff to when they upgrade.

Some companies like disney even have staff only thrift stores that they sell their items in. Not only old items they upgraded from, old inventory they're not selling anymore, even lost and found items after timeage of being held waiting for owner to claim :)

You could also post directly on the carnival.com forums under "looking for assistance". They have carnival reps who answer questions, they may be able to put you in contact with the right people.

My guess is like when many restaurants do a changeover, the old stuff goes to a jobber (re-seller).

That's funny cause I've always called them Gone With the Wind plates- as the first time I ever saw them in one of the ship's steakhouse that was called Scarlett's. I thought they were images of Scarlett O'Hara. :)

That makes sense, I totally get how that connection could happen. That gives me an idea, though:) -- does anybody know if the Steakhouses onboard the ships with AT still use these plates? Do the Steakhouses do AT place settings (please tell me they don't - that would suck:()? I would specifically be interested in knowing if David's, on Pride, uses the Ghost Lady chargers.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you're still looking for the plates or not. We just got off the Liberty which has the American Table so they don't use those plates in the dining room. But we did the Behind the Fun tour and they still have the ghost plates in the Captain's dining area. So it's possible that your ship would have some in the back.

Not sure if you're still looking for the plates or not. We just got off the Liberty which has the American Table so they don't use those plates in the dining room. But we did the Behind the Fun tour and they still have the ghost plates in the Captain's dining area. So it's possible that your ship would have some in the back.

Excellent news! Thanks!:) The fire of my search fizzled out a little when my aunt gave me my great aunt's vintage Noritake china set a couple weeks ago:o, but I still don't have any chargers, and I still have fond nostalgia for the Ghost Lady plates, so, yes, I still want some. I'll try to find out if there are any still onboard Pride, and if I can purchase some in September.