First time cruise tips?

beckstarbaby

My boyfriend and I were gifted a cruise. We are sailing on our first cruise with Holland America on the Ms Nieuw Amsterdam on April 3rd to the western Caribbean. Is there any any tips or advice anyone can offer? I've read reviews that Holland America mainly caters to older people and that it's basically a floating retirement home (we're both in our 20's) what are some things we can do to keep occupied till we port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tip: get a guidebook on your ports, so you know what's in each place, and how to get to it!

HAL has no more "old folks" than any other line....it's just that older, more established folks have the TIME to cruise! Don't discount us...we have been practicing partying for decades...we can out drink you...out party you...and we are fun as hell!

My boyfriend and I were gifted a cruise. We are sailing on our first cruise with Holland America on the Ms Nieuw Amsterdam on April 3rd to the western Caribbean. Is there any any tips or advice anyone can offer? I've read reviews that Holland America mainly caters to older people and that it's basically a floating retirement home (we're both in our 20's) what are some things we can do to keep occupied till we port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Welcome to CC and to HAL.

Here is my photographic tour of the Nieuw Amsterdam to get you acquainted with the ship:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

Here is the On Location for a sea day sailing to Grand Turk to use as an example of some of the things to do:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/EC-2015-OL-Day-02-At-sea.pdf

Take advantage of the Fitness Center, the two pools, free Microsoft Classes, and the Tamarind Grill for some great Asian food.

My tip is a practical one - take glowsticks! We used them for two purposes - at the parties and in the cabin. We got the small ones that had a joiner to make a bracelet and they fitted really well on door handles.

They lasted all night, and bright enough to help us see into (and use) the bathroom, without needing a light. Much lighter and easier to pack than a torch or nightlight.

We always over pack and refine our list more and more each time. So don't feel like you have to follow every bit of advice or list on here. I took magnets and never used them. I took highlighters, never used them either. Did take air freshener - used that (make sure if you take one that it is a subtle sent - as the cabins aren't that big and it can be overwhelming - I took an adjustable one).

Just do what you want and don't feel like you have to do everything. Have fun, keep an eye on your account each day and just enjoy being away from the rush rush of life.

Take half the clothes and twice the money.

Take 3 bottoms and 3 tops all in the same color line and you will have more options you can think about. If you feel the need to be dressy one dress will do it. 2 pair of underwear washed out every other day is more than enough as you will have your bathing suit on for 6 to 8 hours a day on sea days. Leave formal attire at home as Resort Casual is the new dress code.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

<snip> 2 pair of underwear washed out every other day is more than enough as you will have your bathing suit on for 6 to 8 hours a day on sea days. <snip>

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on being gifted a cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Not everyone on a ship spends 6-8 hours a day in swimsuit on sea days, so my advice would be, before you pack only two pair of underwear, think about what you want to do on sea days. :D

Check out the CC roll call for your sailing. Getting ideas from people who will be on board with you can help - you might link up with compatible people to share shore excursions, but at least you will get an advance feeling about your fellow passengers. You will learn ( like everyone else who takes the time to find out) that HAL ships are not floating retirement homes.