When should I remove the second guest from cabin?

I am looking forward to my next cruise in 76 days (final payment due tomorrow, and just paid yesterday). My wife cannot join me after all, and I'm trying to decide when to remove her name from the cabin so that I'm not penalized on price for going solo. Better yet, is there a way to fox the system to reduce the pricing somehow? The cabin right now is about $230 more for a solo than we locked in the price as a pair so I'm afraid to contact Royal until later in the timeline.

I am aware that I will get her taxes and port fees back, and will get double points for going solo. I'm just not sure when is most advantageous (or least painful) to remove her name. Is there a sneaky way to get some of her fare back without paying the difference (as in, reducing the solo supplement from 200% by timing things properly?)

All things being equal, I'd normally just wait until shortly before sailing to let them know she's not going to be able to join me. In the past I had no reprice or penalty for doing so, and I got back port fees and taxes (and pre-paid gratuities) without a problem.

Is there a better (cheaper) way?

Any advice is welcome.. as are snarky comments - because I love the snark around here sometimes!

Thanks for any suggestions,

FL

Why not just go alone and let them know at check in. If you have travel insurance with cancel for no reason, you would get back everything you paid for her between the cruise line and the insurance company. The only thing that you would be out would be the cost of your travel insurance. Sorry she can not join you.

My TA was able to remove my spouse's name without penalty shortly after final payment was made. I'm not too worried about wanting to add another person to my cabin - since neither my best friend nor my spouse can go on this one I'll just take the double points and be thrilled with my privacy :-)

Thanks for the input!

FL

Another advantage to waiting is if there's is a chance someone else wants to go in her place, they can be substituted for no charge until very close to the sailing date.

But if she is a no show, then will you still get double points? I don't think so.

Same with my friend, his roomate cancelled late, was a no show, and he got double points.

Had they actually told RCI and cancelled with them, or was he just a no show?

I know you get the taxes and the tips back.

Not 100% sure, but I believe it was a total no-show, because I remember some controversy about Royal wanting to re-price.

Not 100% sure, but I believe it was a total no-show, because I remember some controversy about Royal wanting to re-price.

On my last sailing, I was not sure if a second person would share my cabi so I call Royal before final payment. The rep tlod me that I had until just before sailing to decide and my taxes and tips would be refunded.

Before I start my snarky remarks maybe somebody can tell me why they would even go on the trip if their spouse could not go with them?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Maybe you wouldn't but there are lots of people on these boards that do. Different vacation interests, different amounts of vacation times for each person, one person still working...lots of reasons.

Maybe you wouldn't but there are lots of people on these boards that do. Different vacation interests, different amounts of vacation times for each person, one person still working...lots of reasons.

But in this case they both signed up together, with the intent (I assume) to go together, and one backed out at the last minute.

On my last sailing, I was not sure if a second person would share my cabi so I call Royal before final payment. The rep tlod me that I had until just before sailing to decide and my taxes and tips would be refunded.

Was your trip repriced....I'm sorry not understanding exactly what happened with your booking...did you pay for two people...how did you pay for one and be able to wait until close to sailing :confused::confused:

Of course, that's different than they told my friend. Par for the Royal course.

Before I start my snarky remarks maybe somebody can tell me why they would even go on the trip if their spouse could not go with them?

If I couldn't go, I would still want my husband to take advantage of the money we spent so the money wouldn't be a total loss. (Assuming our insurance wouldn't pay for a cancellation, for some reason.)

When my husband was working I got double the vacation time he did, so it wasn't unusual for me to travel without him. There are things that I like to do, like go to quilt retreats, that he would hate to do. Now that he is retired, I travel without him when it is a girl's only trip, generally one or two week long trips a year.

My husbands job doesn't allow for 'normal' flexibility most people have with vacation/leave. I travel very frequently without him, for 'work' and pleasure.

I sail next week with our kids but without him because of his work

My husbands job doesn't allow for 'normal' flexibility most people have with vacation/leave. I travel very frequently without him, for 'work' and pleasure.

I sail next week with our kids but without him because of his work

IMO that's different as you are taking someone else. I.e; your kids

A good marriage does not mean spouses must travel together on every vacation. My husband has never been on one of my cruises and frankly both of us prefer it this way.

A good marriage does not mean spouses must travel together on every vacation. My husband has never been on one of my cruises and frankly both of us prefer it this way.

I believe you missed the point. The example in question related to when both signed up for the cruise and at the 11th hour one had to back out. I was trying to understand why one would go when the other couldn't.

I believe you missed the point. The example in question related to when both signed up for the cruise and at the 11th hour one had to back out. I was trying to understand why one would go when the other couldn't.

While I have never had this situation at the 11th hour, we have been given opportunities to travel where one of us was unable to go for one reason or another and the one who was available went. If I paid for my trip and DH couldn't go last minute I wouldn't hesitate to go and would expect he would go in the same situation. Been married almost 30 years now and value each other for who we each are.

While my husband and I are not the couple who wants to take vacations apart from one another. Vacations for us is a rare event and we want to spend the time together. That being said every marriage and couple is different and I can respect what works for each. Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For us, it would depend on why the person couldn't go. If it was an illness or emergency in the family, both of us miss the cruise. If it was a work reason (no longer an issue!!!) or similar conflict, the one having to stay back would have urged the other one to go so that not all the money would be lost and so not both would have had to suffer by missing the cruise.

It could be too that they signed up for the cruise ages ago (and maybe signed up for a few) without knowing 100% that they could get the time off work. Even then, sometimes big projects come up and vacation time gets cancelled at the last minute. I agree with the poster above, if it was a medical/family emergency, we'd both cancel, but if it's a work thing, I would still go. My husband works all of the hours god gives, so the only time he takes off is when we do go away. I get more vacation time than he does, so sometimes I go without him.