Free Internet for Elite

robinagarden

Hi Everyone. I am a Diamond PLus on Royal Caibbean. I have never cruised on Celebrity before.

My first cruise will be on the Millennium in May.

I need to have internet so I always usually get a package.

As I will get Elite status I understand that I will get some bonus Minutes. Is there any discount offered to Elite customers who may wish to purchase an Internet package?

I am on a 7 day Alaska cruise

Thanks for your help in advance

:)

Yes. Basically the discount is the value of the Elite Internet package.

Im not sure what that means. Do you know how much discount they offer for Elite customers? Is it a set amount off a package?

Do you know the daily rate, I know on RCI its $20 per day

Thanks

You titled your thread free internet for elite and now you say a discount?

Yes there is a discount. But that doesnt mean utterly free internet.

Sorry I meant that the discount would be giving me some free internet.

I dont expect free internet but want to know if Internet costs me $20 per day x 7 days so $140, what discount will I get

Thanks

You get a free 90 minutes package worth $59.95 this can be used over the duration of your cruise or as a discount if you want to purchase a better package. If there are two people in your cabin and both qualify then it's per person.

You get a free 90 minutes package worth $59.95 this can be used over the duration of your cruise or as a discount if you want to purchase a better package. If there are two people in your cabin and both qualify then it's per person.

Thank you, So if the package I want costs $200 I can get a $59.95 discount? That is good, that will help bring the price down.

Does anyone know the daily rate for Celebrity?

Thanks again

Im just trying to budget for my cruise :)

The unlimited internet package is $299, so your cost would be $240, or about $34 per day if you want to figure it that way. Otherwise, the day package is also $59. If you're going to use the internet for five days or more, it makes more sense to upgrade the unlimited package.

Please note you are not automatically enrolled in Captain's Club. You may need to contact them with your Crown & Anchor info to get enrolled.

Edited by PartyAllDaTyme

From Celebrity for my upcoming cruise:

$59 for 90 minutes

$109 for 240 minutes

$59 per day

unlimited: $199 for 6-9 day cruise; $299 for 10-14 day cruise

$.79 per minute pay as you go. Only available on board.

Thank you so much

That's a bit pricey $299 for a 7 day cruise but if that's the price that's it!

I am enrolled in captains club, it is showing as elite on my bookings. Yeah!

I appreciate your help

It would be a good idea to check how good or bad the Internet actually is first before paying out. You can start using your elite minutes straight away. We were on Millenium in Asia in January and it was so slow it was unusable. Went to the I lounge to see if there was a problem and the guy there said it was because the signal came from the UK and was very weak. We've sailed most of the Celebrity ships and never had it that bad before.

IIRC the elite discount on the unlimited package is 30%. If you plan to use it much you are well advised to choose the unlimited option, because (again IIRC) the minute packages are connect time, and on the ship you tend to use most of your connect time waiting for the slow internet. With unlimited it doesn't matter.

It would be a good idea to check how good or bad the Internet actually is first before paying out. You can start using your elite minutes straight away. We were on Millenium in Asia in January and it was so slow it was unusable. Went to the I lounge to see if there was a problem and the guy there said it was because the signal came from the UK and was very weak. We've sailed most of the Celebrity ships and never had it that bad before.

That is an excellent idea, the regular internet is barely better than dial up. Don't think any of the ships going to Alaska have the new internet which of course is a higher price.

Celebrity is putting REAL internet in place. Most or all ships currently have internet that is little better than dial up and will not support anything other than emails and sending photos. Speed on my last cruise (2015 was 100K-400K)

Hi,

We were on the Silhoutte a few months back, and the internet was HORRIBLE. We had the 90 minutes free, and we were unable to use it. We couldn't even log on, it was that bad. Since you are travelling to Alaska, maybe pop into a cafe before you get back on the ship. Most places will have free wifi with a coffee:)

As everyone stated you do get 90 minutes free. The speed is ridiculously slow so spending a lot of money on internet is a total waste. I try to stay within the free period by just checking e-mails every other day then if I run out the day before disembarkation I purchase a few extra minutes to check in for my flights as they offer a deep discount then.

As a side note, I just got off the Regal Princess and they gave Platinum members 120 free minutes which disappeared in no time flat because of the slow connection. The WiFi ashore was also a total racket as everyone advertised free WiFi if you purchased something but because of the number of people, 9 out of 10 times we could not connect or their service was down and they didn't tell you until after you made the purchase.

I will be on Celebrity in a few days and will definitely try to stick to the 90 minutes.

Finally, be sure to log off after each use because they will not credit that time back to you.

IIRC the elite discount on the unlimited package is 30%. If you plan to use it much you are well advised to choose the unlimited option, because (again IIRC) the minute packages are connect time, and on the ship you tend to use most of your connect time waiting for the slow internet. With unlimited it doesn't matter.

This is correct - we got 30% off because we were Elite on our Eclipse cruise. In the past, I had always just used the free minutes and tried to log on and off my ipad/computer really quickly - but the downloads/uploads could take a while if there were a lot of people on the system.

I liked having the unlimited - it gave me the freedom to get on and off my email and even IM my friends & family via apple messages. I even helped my friend book a cruise "onboard" at the future cruise desk via apple messages and me sitting there. I also like to blog my cruises with lots of pictures and trying to upload them with a limited # of minutes was a giant pain. Unlimited - I just set them to go and then let it run until it was complete (or timed out, and then I just started again)

You can find free internet off the ship, but then you are spending port time waiting or working on emails vs doing something else (tour, walking around or whatever) which I'd rather do onboard and in the evening when I've got the time, but that's just my opinion & personal preference.

All about personal preference and what you want to spend your money on.

Garren

In comparison, in February we bought and shared unlimited internet on 7-day Jewel OTS for $60.00, after $40.00 Diamond discount.

On our Silhouette 7-day in March, we each used our Elite+ 240 minutes FREE perk.

On Regal Princess in March, we each used our Elite 150 minute FREE perk.

In all cases, the speed was snail like.

$.79 / Minute - Pay as you go

$59 / 90 Minutes ($.66/minute)

$109 / 240 Minutes ($.45/minute)

$59 / day

$199 / 6-9 night cruise - UNLIMITED

$299 / 10+ night cruise - UNLIMITED

If guest is a Captains Club member, discount may apply when purchased onboard.

Preview - 0% never sailed

Classic - 10% discount

Select - 15% discount

Elite - Free 90 minutes 25% discount

Elite Plus - Free 200 minutes 30% discount

Zenith - Free 1600 minutes

If you are up real late or an early riser, the internet seems to be faster due to fewer people using it. Too, if writing emails that will be long, do it off line and then log in to send them. Saves the minutes used composing. Unlimited would be the way to go if you don't want to hunt out wifi at ports. You can use 5 minutes easily just logging in.

Different itinerary locations while cruising will slow things down. When we were cruising Norway, of course with the fjords all around, connections and strength was nearly impossible for us.

Edited by eandj

FWIW, I have been on Infinity for two weeks (Valparaiso-Panama Canal-Miami) using the unlimited package for one device, switching among two iPhones and a laptop, and the speeds have been tolerable. Not as good as a cable at home, but it has generally been way better than dial-up. I have been using it mostly for general surfing, reading the New York Times, checking stocks (I did a trade one day), e-mail, and so on, and it has been OK. I have not done any speed tests, but it seems to load a typical web page in I would guess 5-10 seconds most of the time.

FWIW, I have been on Infinity for two weeks (Valparaiso-Panama Canal-Miami) using the unlimited package for one device, switching among two iPhones and a laptop, and the speeds have been tolerable. Not as good as a cable at home, but it has generally been way better than dial-up. I have been using it mostly for general surfing, reading the New York Times, checking stocks (I did a trade one day), e-mail, and so on, and it has been OK. I have not done any speed tests, but it seems to load a typical web page in I would guess 5-10 seconds most of the time.

We will be on Infinity next month so good to hear it is tolerable. Does anybody know if Celebrity upgraded wireless on Infinity in the recent dry dock?