RCI Newbie - pricing confusion

Hi! We are new to RCI, but not new to cruising. I am a bit confused with the pricing structure. We are booked on a 2017 Jewel of the Seas cruise out of San Juan in a Deluxe Balcony cabin. There was no price increase for same class of cabin as you climbed higher in the deck plan. Other cruises we have been on have always had a higher cost the higher the deck for the same class of cabin. Not so with this specific RCI cruise. Is this typical across the board for RCI? I am not complaining, just a curious newbie. :confused: If so, booking early definitely pays off. Thanks! :)

Hi! We are new to RCI, but not new to cruising. I am a bit confused with the pricing structure. We are booked on a 2017 Jewel of the Seas cruise out of San Juan in a Deluxe Balcony cabin. There was no price increase for same class of cabin as you climbed higher in the deck plan. Other cruises we have been on have always had a higher cost the higher the deck for the same class of cabin. Not so with this specific RCI cruise. Is this typical across the board for RCI? I am not complaining, just a curious newbie. :confused: If so, booking early definitely pays off. Thanks! :)

With Royal, all staterooms of the same category have the same price. Staterooms with the same category can appear on different decks.

That's interesting. I know that higher is not necessarily better. It definitely pays to consult a deck plan chart and determine what is below and above. Thanks for the info! I love Cruise Critic - so much info and so many very very helpful fellow cruisers!!:):)

That's interesting. I know that higher is not necessarily better. It definitely pays to consult a deck plan chart and determine what is below and above. Thanks for the info! I love Cruise Critic - so much info and so many very very helpful fellow cruisers!!:):)

You're welcome.

You are in a deluxe balcony which means you are a category "E", correct? Category E is subdivided into 3 levels E1, E2 and E3. Those three categories can be priced differently, based on location, but not always. A "D" category (Superior Ocean View) will generally be priced higher than an "E" category cabin. We just recently booked our Alaska cruise for 2017 and ALL balcony cabins are priced the same. I have never seen that before.

Yes, you are correct that we are in an "E" category cabin. I also noticed no pricing differentials for front/mid/aft. So, the early birds get the better cabins, right? We booked much earlier than usual for us this time and are very happy with the cabin. However, we are not always in a position to book that early. But then being in most any cabin on a cruise ship is always better than not being on a cruise ship. :D Thanks and have a good evening!

Edited by Love PalmTrees
missed word

So, the early birds get the better cabins, right?

Yes, but different people have their own preferences about what constitutes a better cabin. Some people like cabins all the way on the aft because on most ships, they have bigger balconies - but they're a long walk from the elevators. Other people like cabins near the mid-ship elevators because they're conveniently located - but on some ships and some sailings, they can be a bit noisy. Count me as one of those who's not too picky about the cabin - though I did manage to snag an aft balcony for my next cruise!

Yes, but different people have their own preferences about what constitutes a better cabin. Some people like cabins all the way on the aft because on most ships, they have bigger balconies - but they're a long walk from the elevators. Other people like cabins near the mid-ship elevators because they're conveniently located - but on some ships and some sailings, they can be a bit noisy. Count me as one of those who's not too picky about the cabin - though I did manage to snag an aft balcony for my next cruise!

Cabin preferences vary from person to person for sure. We hope to snag an aft balcony cabin on some cruise, but so far they have all been taken by the time we book. Often we will book a 'hump cabin' -- it seems to be a little bit more roomy, and is mid ship and convenient to elevators and other areas to just walk to. Sometimes there are price differences, sometimes not.

Edited by Paulette3028

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a newbie as well and have been trying (and failing) to understand the differences between the stateroom categories. We are booked in a D3 balcony and my parents are 2 doors down from us in a D6. What is the difference between them? I've searched as many places and terms as I can think of and yet haven't been able to find the answer... I assume "D3" is nicer than "D6" but in what ways?

Thanks for your help!

I'm a newbie as well and have been trying (and failing) to understand the differences between the stateroom categories. We are booked in a D3 balcony and my parents are 2 doors down from us in a D6. What is the difference between them? I've searched as many places and terms as I can think of and yet haven't been able to find the answer... I assume "D3" is nicer than "D6" but in what ways?

Thanks for your help!

The cabins are identical except for location and, depending on ship, the D3's have a sofa bed while the D6's do not. It all depends on which ship you are on.

Edited by StolidCruiser

If you booked one of the new releases for after April 2017 RCL is running a promo where all sub categories are the same price as in E1, E2 and E3 balconies are priced the same. D1 and D2 are the same etc.

Normally they are all different prices

Edited by molly361

If you booked one of the new releases for after April 2017 RCL is running a promo where all sub categories are the same price as in E1, E2 and E3 balconies are priced the same. D1 and D2 are the same etc.

Nice of Royal to market that as you are receiving a free upgrade from a D7 to a D1 when in reality they are charging you the D1 price for all the lower categories.:rolleyes:

Nice of Royal to market that as you are receiving a free upgrade from a D7 to a D1 when in reality they are charging you the D1 price for all the lower categories.:rolleyes:

True story. I have a feeling that it might stay that way and not go back to different prices for the different categories, or sub categories.;)

True story. I have a feeling that it might stay that way and not go back to different prices for the different categories, or sub categories.;)

Oh nice, thanks for the good news.:rolleyes:

Just a guess, hope I am wrong:)

I thought it was going to end with the free grat sale 4/13 but it did not

Well, at least it makes checking prices easier. All we need to do is display that first page with the prices of the 4 super categories.

In the interest of customer convenience, RC has simplified the cabin cost to reflect only the highest category cabin price. Our customers may choose from a wide selection of cabin categories, and only have to remember to pay the highest price!

The cabins are identical except for location and, depending on ship, the D3's have a sofa bed while the D6's do not. It all depends on which ship you are on.

Thank you so much for the info! We needed the sofa bed for our kids so that explains it. I wish RC would have a list somewhere that defines these categories, but I haven't been able to find it. Thanks for the explanation!

Thank you so much for the info! We needed the sofa bed for our kids so that explains it. I wish RC would have a list somewhere that defines these categories, but I haven't been able to find it. Thanks for the explanation!

They do - it's called a deck plan.

Not every ship's designation structure is identical so a standardized category listing is impractical. Therefore, the deck plan for the particular ship accomplishes your wish for "a list somewhere that defines these categories".

Most of RCs ship categories are based on deck, occupancy and size of room. On some ships, larger or aft balconies are categorized at a higher price.

While other lines do have specific categories for aft balconies Royal does not.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

They do - it's called a deck plan.

Not every ship's designation structure is identical so a standardized category listing is impractical. Therefore, the deck plan for the particular ship accomplishes your wish for "a list somewhere that defines these categories".

I have not seen a deck plan that explains the differences between the sub categories, they all have the same description. Yes the deck plan will show what color rooms are what category, but that doesn't answer the question

I have not seen a deck plan that explains the differences between the sub categories, they all have the same description. Yes the deck plan will show what color rooms are what category, but that doesn't answer the question

Thanks, that was my question. I certainly see different categories on deck plans but when you're pricing out a cruise I haven't been able to find anything that describes the differences in the same category, i.e. D1 to D3 to D6. Thanks for the explanations about the sofa bed versus non-sofa bed, even though our rooms are next to each other so location is clearly not a factor, whether a room fits 2 or 4 clearly is.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I'm the queen of Disney planning but as a first time cruiser I feel like a newborn. Difficult for a control freak like me.