Recent Chairhog experience, a funny story

RickT

Feeling guilty?

For the same reason that everyone who talks about taking their children on board describe them as perfect angels. Also, years ago there were many threads on the boards about taking children out of school to go on a cruise. Every one of these children taken out were honor students. And I am a person who has always supported children on board but it does seem funny.

I wouldn't mind so much a couple who go out there and take up two chairs for themselves. Its the ones who reserve them for 5 to 10 people and never show up. Also the ones who reserve two chairs in the Solarium and at the regular pool because they may want sun or shade. Ironically, and a little off topic but everyone wants their sun which if you speak to any dermatologist is not good for you. No tan or sunshine is good for your skin, many are describing Melanoma as the new smoking.

Edited by dkjretired

On all these chair hog threads we hear from the 90% of the people who detest the practice of chair hogging. Why don't we ever hear from the 10%, typically grandmothers who are out there at 7am setting up towels on 4,5, 6 and more lounge chairs by the pool?

Personally I find the chair clips to be particularly offensive.

There's nothing wrong with chair clips, they are totally innocent of any wrongdoing. My chair clips wouldn't know how to offend you, especially as they have never been used to hog a chair. However, some other folks may have very badly behaved chair clips. Those are the ones who need to be punished by going to the naughty cupboard next to the pool attendant.

There's nothing wrong with chair clips, they are totally innocent of any wrongdoing. My chair clips wouldn't know how to offend you, especially as they have never been used to hog a chair. However, some other folks may have very badly behaved chair clips. Those are the ones who need to be punished by going to the naughty cupboard next to the pool attendant.

So I guess you are a card-carrying member of the National Chair Clip Association (NCCA) and against any form of chair clip control? Even those automated chair clips that you just push a button and they claim 5 or 10 loungers in a few seconds? "Blame the passenger, not the chair clip!" :)

Edited by bottomfeeder

DH now thinks I've lost my mind since I'm sitting here laughing out loud.

We don't generally spend much time near the pool but we've seen stuff on chairs as we walked by with no one nearby. I'm sure some of the stuff has been there for a while. We need someone to invent a liquid to spray on stuff (that wouldn't damage anything) that would change color after half an hour in the sun. Then "I just put that book there" wouldn't work. :D

I find these threads (along with the dress code, cracker cruncher and super platinum elite double diamond perk threads) really amusing and entertaining. I'm not able to cruise as frequently as others, but on my last two cruises I found that this whole chair hog mass hysteria was much ado about nothing. Of course sitting out by the pool in a sea of humanity is not my idea of a an enjoyable afternoon. I prefer the bars. I have noticed a large amount of deck chairs available all over the ship at peak times of the day. They just might not be right next to the pool.

But I am also an admitted barstool hog at the Sunset Bar. That is a far better spot to enjoy days at sea.

Thank you for the entertaining posts.

How we all do things, and you do this no matter where?

No matter what it is you are doing, since it's Chair Hogging. we will keep to the subject.

So every one you see in a chair is a Hogger if you are just observing the one's around you?

Yeah it cracks me up to. we all can only share what we did on our last cruise, it can get better or worse by listening to the people just coming off their cruises and opinionating here?

CHA

Last year on Reflection I would get up usually shortly after 6 a.m., get a coffee and wander the upper decks to watch the sunrise. Always amazed me to see how many chairs were already "saved". I never bothered to save chairs as my wife and I were usually finished breakfast and up on deck not long after 8 and always found places to sit. But we didn't bother with the pool deck, preferring the deck above - not nearly as jammed packed with humanity.

I remember one morning after being ensconced in our chairs, watching this one woman meticulously using eleven towels to save four chairs. She had each entire chair covered and all corners tucked in nicely - you could have bounced a coin off them!! Then she tied each pair of chairs together with coloured scarves and left. It was about 2 hours before anyone arrived to sit in any of them - I know because I timed it out of curiousity. Then later on one of the pool attendants was straightening some nearby chairs and she asked him to leave them in place as she "might" want to move to them later if the sun changed.

People can be so very selfish as is obvious from reading the posts here. My mobility has significantly worsened with my osteoarthritis. One evening on arriving at the theatre there weren't any disabled and companion seats available...or so I thought till after a few minutes of scanning around I began to think that the scooter by a companion chair was just "parked" there. My OH went to the "gentleman" seated closest by and it turned out it was his and was parked. At this another really nice bloke came over to help us as the chap wouldn't move his scooter so we could stay to watch the show and this man manhandled the scooter out of the way so we could sit down. That was a really nice and considerate thing to do. I admit I was amazed at the attitude of the man who wished for his scooter to be in a good position to see the show!

For the same reason that everyone who talks about taking their children on board describe them as perfect angels. Also, years ago there were many threads on the boards about taking children out of school to go on a cruise. Every one of these children taken out were honor students. And I am a person who has always supported children on board but it does seem funny.

Every time I read a post where someone claims their kids are "perfect angles" all I can think of is Eddie Haskell from Leave It Beaver.

We have heard about people hogging pool lounges & chairs yet in our 74 cruises we fortunately have not had that problem :). If when we get out of the pool & our chairs have been taken ,we simply look for others or go back to our state room & change;)

Every time I read a post where someone claims their kids are "perfect angles" all I can think of is Eddie Haskell from Leave It Beaver.

My kids aren't perfect angels for sure, but I can say that they were very polite to passengers and crew, saying please and thank you and excuse me. But this is something that has to be taught :)

We have heard about people hogging pool lounges & chairs yet in our 74 cruises we fortunately have not had that problem :). If when we get out of the pool & our chairs have been taken ,we simply look for others or go back to our state room & change;)

For me it's easy. One deck above the pool deck. Plenty of loungers and locations to choose from, the views are a lot better, way less crowded and a hell of a lot quieter.

Edited by davekathy

I've always thought it was funny as well.

Ok! Maybe, the Pool Attendant can leave a note with the ship rules about "chair hogging."
How about a note on all the chairs first thing in the morning saying: I'm sure you are aware that there is no reserving chairs policy. If a chair is not occupied by a human being for X time, we will remove all items, so that folks that are actually here at the pool can sit in one of the chairs. Thank you for adhering to our policy.

Of course sitting out by the pool in a sea of humanity is not my idea of a an enjoyable afternoon. I prefer the bars. I have noticed a large amount of deck chairs available all over the ship at peak times of the day. They just might not be right next to the pool.

But I am also an admitted barstool hog at the Sunset Bar. That is a far better spot to enjoy days at sea.

Ah, finally. Someone with my EXACT point of view! Hope to sit with you some day as we "hog" a couple of stools for an afternoon... with Premium bev pkgs, of course!

Just me, but if something happens on the flight I want to be next to my spouse;)

I guess I don't make travel plans based on the worst-case scenario.

Would I like to sit near my DH? Yes. Will I make a stink and hold up the plane's departure demanding someone move if for some reason we're not together? No.

Funny but you're aging yourself, guess I am too..