Britannia - afternoon tea

Whitechapel girl

Has anyone had afternoon tea in the Epicurean restaurant? What are your thoughts, worth doing?

Had it on the 2nd day of our cruise last August and, to be honest, wouldn't be bothered again at all. There is nothing in my memory that stands out as being a 'wow' and from what I recall it was very sweet and quite sickly. Hubby thought the same and he has a sweet tooth. Save your money and do something else.

Not been on Britannia but it's on our Personaliser for our forthcoming cruise on Azura - must admit it didn't look inviting to me. I'm happy with the scones jam and cream they serve in the buffet late afternoon :D

Not been on Britannia but it's on our Personaliser for our forthcoming cruise on Azura - must admit it didn't look inviting to me. I'm happy with the scones jam and cream they serve in the buffet late afternoon :D

Wise choice ;-)

A good experience but once is enough. Very sweet even the 'sandwiches'. Glad I did it but relatively expensive. I always think the measure of a good dining experience is wanting to do it again and I didn't really feel that. On the Brittania waited too long for champagne and tea.

Scones n jam in the buffet it is then. OBC on champagne to go with the afternoon tea in the buffet - thanks

Glad to have helped - sometimes I wonder if our opinions are the right ones but on this occasion I do think that it really is not worth the extra cost. Enjoy the buffet and that Champagne

If you are on Britannia we enjoyed Sindhu's ( and I hate Indian / spicy food!) and the Beach House - well worth the extra cost :) I imagine that the Epicurean is good at night too - though we didn't try it.

Afternoon tea is also served in one of the main restaurants with waitor service for no extra charge. We often make use of it when coming back from an excursion. Usually from 4.00pm to 5.45pm. Not many people know about it. Finger sandwiches, crumpets cakes, teacakes, etc

We found it expensive for what you got. Very little by way of sandwiches . Mostly very sickly sweet offerings. Wouldn't go again. However, the Epicurean for dinner is a very nice dining experience. The Beach Hut was also worth a trip. The kebabs were amazing. Brought to the table on a dramatic vertical skewer type arrangement.

Hi,

Can't remember what we had at the Beach House - it was August when we went - but I can remember that all 3 courses were different, very tasty and very well presented. We saw a lot of the crew eating there to celebrate a couple of their birthdays so that says something. Loved it.

:)

Afternoon tea is also served in one of the main restaurants with waitor service for no extra charge. We often make use of it when coming back from an excursion. Usually from 4.00pm to 5.45pm. Not many people know about it. Finger sandwiches, crumpets cakes, teacakes, etc

We did it on our very first cruise ( Ventura) only went in for a crumpet and tea. Because the hot crumpets came out last I had of course to have a tea cake and a muffin and a few of the little sandwiches. Haha didn't eat much for the evening meal, only went down for the company.

Went to the chocoholics afternoon tea in the MDR on Oceana once, I steel well clear in future as you have to have willpower. Only went in because we saw a queue in the Atrium so thought "what's going on here" turned out to be the chocoholics tea.

Yes they do make it clear, you can't go in a paid restaurant by mistake.

Anything in the buffet is free.The one exception to this is The Beach House, ( the buffet area at the back) after 6 o'clock which has a cover charge of £5.00, but it is very clear you have to pay then as someone will be on the door and it will all be laid out with tablecloths and cutlery etc. The main buffet areas will be open and free.

The main dining rooms are all free and you will be allocated one for your evening meals. It will say in The Horizon news sheet you get in, or just left in the letter rack outside, your cabin which restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch. Everyone can use whichever restaurant it is. This often confuses people if they are allocated a different one for dinner. But you can use it and it is free and much more relaxed than the buffet. We always use this option for breakfast and often for lunch unless it clashes with a port tour or a film they are showing.

Most of the ships have a pizza place on deck, this is also free although you have to pay for any drinks or ice cream. There is normally a burger type bar on deck as well which is also free. Some days they will have a big barbecue on deck, this is also free.

Sorry forgot to say the restaraunt open for afternoon tea will also be listed in the Horizon. It will also say the times for breakfast and other meals and late night snacks etc.

Edited by amajaa

Yes they do make it clear, you can't go in a paid restaurant by mistake.

Anything in the buffet is free.The one exception to this is The Beach House, ( the buffet area at the back) after 6 o'clock which has a cover charge of £5.00, but it is very clear you have to pay then as someone will be on the door and it will all be laid out with tablecloths and cutlery etc. The main buffet areas will be open and free.

The main dining rooms are all free and you will be allocated one for your evening meals. It will say in The Horizon news sheet you get in, or just left in the letter rack outside, your cabin which restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch. Everyone can use whichever restaurant it is. This often confuses people if they are allocated a different one for dinner. But you can use it and it is free and much more relaxed than the buffet. We always use this option for breakfast and often for lunch unless it clashes with a port tour or a film they are showing.

Most of the ships have a pizza place on deck, this is also free although you have to pay for any drinks or ice cream. There is normally a burger type bar on deck as well which is also free. Some days they will have a big barbecue on deck, this is also free.

Sorry forgot to say the restaraunt open for afternoon tea will also be listed in the Horizon. It will also say the times for breakfast and other meals and late night snacks etc.

Thanks, I think I'm getting my head round how things work from reading these forums but all advice really helps. I heard that you can pay for afternoon tea, so I suppose this will be a more expensive spread than the free one?

We have gone for freedom dining and my understanding is that we will be allocated a dining room but can go anytime between 6and 9 , and thanks for the advice 're breakfast and lunch, so we can use any that is open.

Thanks again :)

Thanks, I think I'm getting my head round how things work from reading these forums but all advice really helps. I heard that you can pay for afternoon tea, so I suppose this will be a more expensive spread than the free one?

We have gone for freedom dining and my understanding is that we will be allocated a dining room but can go anytime between 6and 9 , and thanks for the advice 're breakfast and lunch, so we can use any that is open.

Thanks again :)

The "free" afternoon tea is waiter served in the main restaurant from 4:00pm to 4:45pm. It consists of finger sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam, toasted muffins and tea cakes and a selection of small cakes. Served with a choice of six different teas or coffee. More than adequate for most. You can also get afternoon tea in the self service from around 3pm but it's not the same as in the restaurant.

Brian

Had it on the 2nd day of our cruise last August and, to be honest, wouldn't be bothered again at all. There is nothing in my memory that stands out as being a 'wow' and from what I recall it was very sweet and quite sickly. Hubby thought the same and he has a sweet tooth. Save your money and do something else.

We also did not like it, and wasted half of it. Way too sweet for us - but that's just our tastes I suppose.