This just in Re Turkey

Minoushka

I guess Kusadasi is now out too, it's around the corner from Izmir which is a no go for Americans..

I see Istanbul is listed but I don't see anything about Izmir. Is Izmir included too?

Are you docking somewhere else as a substitute for Istanbul?

Thank you.Following because we are scheduled to stop in Izmir in June on Carnival Vista.

A passenger on board ms Prinsendam (in Greece at the moment) just posted this on facebook.

Quote: Moments ago we received word the US State Department recommends travelers to avoid Istanbul, Turkey and some other cities in Turkey so our ship will be changing its itinerary. Disappointing but prefer to be safe. unquote.

Yes, if you hear anything about Izmir etc. Can you pass that along as well! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We sail out of Venice on May 6 and have overnights in Istanbul and a day in Kusadasi. When and how will HAL advise us that we won't be cruising to these ports? Also will they advise of which alternates we will be cruising to instead. We will be sorry to miss Turkey, but having holidayed in the Aegean in the past, we will not be unhappy to see more of the island there.

Thank you for any advice

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A passenger on board ms Prinsendam (in Greece at the moment) just posted this on facebook.

Quote: Moments ago we received word the US State Department recommends travelers to avoid Istanbul, Turkey and some other cities in Turkey so our ship will be changing its itinerary. Disappointing but prefer to be safe. unquote.

where are they going instead? Do you know? Thanks for the info.

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey. Effective March 29, 2016, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members of U.S. government personnel posted to U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. government civilians in Izmir and Mugla provinces, and restricted official travel to Turkey to “mission-critical” travel only. U.S. Consulate in Adana remains open and will provide all routine consular services. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated March 17, 2016.

Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times. U.S. government personnel in Turkey remain subject to travel restrictions in southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, Bitlis, and Elazig. U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border.

For your safety:

Avoid travel to southeastern Turkey, particularly near the Syrian border.

Stay away from large crowds, including at popular tourist destinations.

Exercise heightened vigilance and caution when visiting public access areas, especially those heavily frequented by tourists.

Stay away from political gatherings and rallies.

Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency.

Monitor local media.

Stay at hotels with identifiable security measures in place

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey. Effective March 29, 2016, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members of U.S. government personnel posted to U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. government civilians in Izmir and Mugla provinces, and restricted official travel to Turkey to “mission-critical” travel only. U.S. Consulate in Adana remains open and will provide all routine consular services. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated March 17, 2016.

Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times. U.S. government personnel in Turkey remain subject to travel restrictions in southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, Bitlis, and Elazig. U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border.

For your safety:

Avoid travel to southeastern Turkey, particularly near the Syrian border.

Stay away from large crowds, including at popular tourist destinations.

Exercise heightened vigilance and caution when visiting public access areas, especially those heavily frequented by tourists.

Stay away from political gatherings and rallies.

Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency.

Monitor local media.

Stay at hotels with identifiable security measures in place.

I switched off the 15 April Koningsdam to the 18 April Oosterdam because I had the gut feeling that Istanbul would be a no-go by this Spring. I was looking forward to at least do Ephesus from the Oosterdam. Oh well, c'est la vie.

No email from HAL yet on itinerary, but I was willing to accept that changes could come after we sail.

Dennis

where are they going instead? Do you know? Thanks for the info.

No unfortunately the poster hasnot got back with more information.

We sail out of Venice on May 6 and have overnights in Istanbul and a day in Kusadasi. When and how will HAL advise us that we won't be cruising to these ports? Also will they advise of which alternates we will be cruising to instead. We will be sorry to miss Turkey' date=' but having holidayed in the Aegean in the past, we will not be unhappy to see more of the island there.

Thank you for any advice

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

You just never know, most likely before you sail, but I have had and seen schedule change once when we were on board.

I found this by the same poster on board Prinsendam re turkey

qute

TODay we were supposed to arrive in Istanbul at 2pm, and spend 2 nights in the city. Instead we are calling on Myrina, Greece. Tomorrow we will make a brief stop in Istanbul because there are passengers and crew members who are disembarking and embarking from that port. No passengers will be allowed off the ship unless it's their final destination. We have 1 other Turkey port of call scheduled but based on the US Dept of State travel advisory it's likely HAL will adjust the itinerary once again. There's been absolutely no grumbling or complaining by passengers. We all wanted to visit Istanbul and are disappointed but understand and agree with the decision made to protect our safety.

unquote

Edited by Ine

I spoke to our HAL agent yesterday as we are on the 18 APR Oosterdam sailing with a stop in Ephaseus. I mentioned how the U.S. altered it's alert to American's traveling to Turkey to a full warning as some have posted above. She was very concerned and said she would research it. This is what I received from HAL today via Email:

Please know that Holland America Line monitors and analyzes information regarding safety and security from many sources, which includes liaising with government intelligence agencies and on-the-ground port security assessments. Other security measures that we take include adding personnel at key ports, and employing X-ray or other security devices to inspect all bags, luggage and supplies that come aboard our ships.

We would not take our guests and crew to a port — or operate a shore excursion — where we had any indication there may be an undue risk to safety and security. We will continue to monitor our sources closely. As always, we work closely to ensure our shipboard security at all times.

In addition, we encourage our guests to consider the below safety and security tips when ashore:

Exercise caution as you would when visiting any new area. Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you.

Avoid crowds, political rallies, police/military activity and street demonstrations.

You may notice heightened security measures or increased police presence in port as the world reacts to the recent events.

Dress down and minimize the amount of jewelry you wear.

Only travel in properly identified taxis. Do not get into a taxi if there is more than one person inside it.

Use discretion when handling cash publically. Separate money for small and large purchases to avoid showing a large amount of cash. Avoid using outside ATMs.

Do not provide any personal information to persons you do not know.

If you ever feel uncomfortable, change locations or return to the ship.

All of us at Holland America Line are deeply saddened by the senseless acts that have taken place recently across the globe and are keeping the victims and their families in our thoughts and prayers.

At Holland America Line, the safety and security of our guests is our top priority.

Kindest Regards,

________

Carrie Lienhard

Personal Cruise Consultant

Holland America Line

PHONE: 800-355-3017 Ext. 29319

EMAIL: clienhard@hollandamerica.com

http://www.hollandamerica.com

No decision either way, but NCL, Celebrity, Crystal, MSC, Disney, Regent Seven Seas, Viking and Oceania have all canceled Turkey in 2016 due to intelligence they have been receiving. I cannot believe that HAL would not follow suit eventually. Especially after today's Prinsendam change. A sad world we live in, but in everyone's best interest to avoid places of unrest until it all figures itself out. I was in Tunisia during the Bardo Museum terrorist attack. Trust me you don't want to be anywhere near such a horror. I live in NYC and lived through 9/11 and lost 6 friends. It can happen anywhere, but one must heed the warnings and pay attention especially in crowded tourist sites. Happy Sailing!

Thank you buskerbythesea. I'm sorry you've seen so much. DD just got home from a school trip in Europe, flying home from Paris. Hadn't realized til she was here just how much I had been worrying. I do trust HAL not to take us into danger but I'm a planner by nature and just wish I could know plan B!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No decision either way, but NCL, Celebrity, Crystal, MSC, Disney, Regent Seven Seas, Viking and Oceania have all canceled Turkey in 2016 due to intelligence they have been receiving. I cannot believe that HAL would not follow suit eventually.

Celebrity is still calling on ports in Turkey. The only change they've made so far (unless they've done something in the last 24 hours) is to change their overnights in Istanbul to port calls. I suspect they are reluctant to get rid of those as many of them are actually the embarkation/disembarkation points for those cruises.

Update from our poster today

Quote: Instead of Istanbul we stopped in the beautiful Greek city of Myrina on the island of Lemnos. The fort above the city was quite a vertical climb but well worth it for the view. The town had good shopping and restaurants, especially bakeries. This should be a regular stop. unquote.

You know its far easier on a cruise line to cancel and rearrange a stop in advance then to do so on the fly. One would think if it has gotten to the point that HAL felt compelled to reroute the P'dam that they would be huddled up to make a move for other cruises in advance. They are really in a can't win situation as CC is full of two camps, those who will cancel if Turkey is not dropped and those who will cancel if it is. Quite the dilemma. Of course safety is and should be the number one concern.

Quote: Instead of Istanbul we stopped in the beautiful Greek city of Myrina on the island of Lemnos. The fort above the city was quite a vertical climb but well worth it for the view. The town had good shopping and restaurants, especially bakeries. This should be a regular stop. unquote.

Thank you so much "Ine"! Please keep the updates coming if possible!

You know its far easier on a cruise line to cancel and rearrange a stop in advance then to do so on the fly. One would think if it has gotten to the point that HAL felt compelled to reroute the P'dam that they would be huddled up to make a move for other cruises in advance. They are really in a can't win situation as CC is full of two camps, those who will cancel if Turkey is not dropped and those who will cancel if it is. Quite the dilemma. Of course safety is and should be the number one concern.

You would think. Maybe they are huddled up around a table like a bunch of poker players that don't want to show their cards.

Yes, thanks for the updates. Very interested to hear what they decide on the Izmir stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I found this by the same poster on board Prinsendam re turkey

qute

TODay we were supposed to arrive in Istanbul at 2pm, and spend 2 nights in the city. Instead we are calling on Myrina, Greece. Tomorrow we will make a brief stop in Istanbul because there are passengers and crew members who are disembarking and embarking from that port. No passengers will be allowed off the ship unless it's their final destination. We have 1 other Turkey port of call scheduled but based on the US Dept of State travel advisory it's likely HAL will adjust the itinerary once again. There's been absolutely no grumbling or complaining by passengers. We all wanted to visit Istanbul and are disappointed but understand and agree with the decision made to protect our safety.

unquote

Yes, a lot of crew is getting off, they were supposed to leave in Athens but it was extended a week because some of the crew were transfered to the Koningsdam...

Any update on where Prinsendam is headed today?

I just looked at one of the ship trackers online -- looks like Prinsendam is headed away from Istanbul -- anyone know if she actually ported there?

At any rate, her destination is listed as Lesbos.