This just in Re Turkey

Minoushka

Canada has not changed its travel advisory yet. I'm sure Turkey is bracing for more attacks. How truly sad for the people who live there.

Why don't you just add this to your existing thread to keep the topic in one place? It'll come up as a new post to the thread for everyone who watches this topic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm having trouble understanding this. According to your profile your favorite cruise lines are CCl Rcl PrincessCosta, and you've posted to several Roll Calls but not HAL, yet you have started 5 threads about Turkey on this forum. Something just doesn't add up.

Roy

I'm having trouble understanding this. According to your profile your favorite cruise lines are CCl Rcl PrincessCosta, and you've posted to several Roll Calls but not HAL, yet you have started 5 threads about Turkey on this forum. Something just doesn't add up.

Roy

I'm glad it wasn't just me having trouble with the math;)

Roy

Apparently she is single-handedly mounting a campaign to get HAL to change an upcoming Eurodam itinerary so that she can book it. :cool:

It's possible! [emoji2][emoji2]However, there was a travel advisory from Israel as she stated. Still, it was their tourists who were stalked by the last Istanbul bombers. I'm sure my country would issue the same warning in that case. I just wish she would keep it to one thread. It's not like it's hard to search that topic, even on a tablet!

Roy

Are you checking up on me ?

Yes. Ima 3 star mariner

Im interested in a cruise fromvenicebut its going to Turkey so Im biding my time to see if they willcancelthose stops...if they do Im in ....my my we are curious ......lol

Answers your ?????

Roy

One word: Ephesus.

Yes. Ima 3 star mariner

Im interested in a cruise fromvenicebut its going to Turkey so Im biding my time to see if they willcancelthose stops...if they do Im in ....my my we are curious ......lol

Answers your ?????

I hope you can bring yourself to book this cruise, we did it last year and it was wonderful.

If they don't change the ports to your liking before final payment, you can cancel.

If they go to Turkey and you don't want to get off in Turkey you doncan stay on the ship.

There are other cruise lines doing eastern med cruise itineraries who have canceled their stops in Istanbul.

And no one knows where the next attacks will be so you have risks everywhere you travel and even in Montreal.

Bon chance! m--

You do realize, don't you, that it matters less where the last attack was than the next one.

... and hopefully for all of us, the governments close to the heart of the problem and the cruise lines sailing in those areas are much better at predicting the possibility of attacks than we are on Cruise Critic. ;)

Yes. Ima 3 star mariner

Answers your ?????

Why would you not go to the roll call for the cruise and discuss this with your would be fellow passengers rather than starting multiple threads here?

Roy

I suggest if the OP is really concerned, that a Mediterranean cruise be put on the back burner for this year. Maybe take a look at cruising to other parts of the world where there may or may not be turmoil and go from there.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We plan to be in Greece this fall and willi most likely travel to parts of Turkey. Based on current pricing we fully expect, and are planning on, picking up a last minute 12 or 24 day Med cruise.

There is danger lurking everywhere including close to home. We tend to focus on the stats, past instances rather than the news reports. If we did focus on the latter places like Boston, San Bernadino, Miami, Paris, London, etc would be on our no go list. Not going to happen.

U.S. State Department and Israel Update Travel Warnings to Turkey

Written by Sebastian Modak March 30, 2016

Getty

On March 19, a suicide bombing in a busy shopping area in Istanbul killed five people and injured at least 36.

Share on Facebook.

Tweet it!

Pin It!

Email to a Friend

Five separate terrorist attacks have taken place in the country since the beginning of 2016.

Last week, following the bombings in Brussels, the U.S. State Department issued a travel alert for all of Europe, and yesterday, it issued a revised warning for Turkey. The language is important: According to the State Department, "alerts" are used for "short-term events" and expire once those events pass. They are used in the case of elections, health risks, or temporarily elevated risks of terrorism. "Warnings" are for locations experiencing long-term instability and presenting higher risks for travelers. "We want you to know the risks of traveling to these places and to strongly consider not going to them at all," the State Department says about countries that carry active travel warnings.

The State Department's updated travel warning for Turkey replaces the one issued after March 13, when a car bomb exploded in the capital Ankara, killing 37 people. Kurdistan Freedom Falcons, a Kurdish nationalist group, claimed responsibility. Since the beginning of 2016, nearly 100 people have been killed in five separate attacks carried out by ISIS-linked groups and Kurdish separatists. The new warning specifically urges people not to travel to Turkey's southeastern region, which borders Syria, and to stay away from large crowds and popular tourist destinations around the country.

Additionally, the State Department has ordered the departure of family members of U.S. government personnel from Adana, which hosts a U.S. Consulate office. It has also restricted official trips to Turkey to "mission-critical" travel only.

ADVERTISING

Meanwhile, on Monday the Israeli Counter-Terrorism Bureau raised its travel advisory for Turkey to "level 2," one level away from its highest warning, citing a "high concrete threat." The advisory advises Israeli citizens currently in Turkey to "depart as soon as possible." On March 19, three Israeli tourists were among those killed by a ISIS-linked suicide bomber in Istanbul. According to Reuters, the elevation of Israel's warning comes on the heels of Turkey's own warnings to its citizens, to stay away from crowded areas and exercise extra vigilance. At the same time, Turkish presidential spokesperson Ibrahim Kalid also said, "One should refrain from moves that lead to the suspension of daily lives, in a way which would be welcomed by the terrorists."

RELATED CONTENT

Why Brussels, Why Istanbul, and Why Now

For those who don't know who Sebastian Modak is, he is an assistant digital editor with Conde Nast Traveler. While some of this may be his take on the advisories, they do seem to accurately reflect the content of those advisories. I haven't heard anything from HAL yet about my Turkish stops. However, several other ships are scheduled to go into Istanbul and Ephesus well before my trip. Canada has no nationwide advisory for Turkey except the high degree of caution one. There is an advisory against travel within 10 km of the Syrian border and some advisories against non-essential travel to some other areas around Ankara as well as the Iraq border.

I think that some country's travel advisories are based on politics and CYA as much as anything else.

People will make the right decision based on what is right for them.

We disregard many of the fear mongering comments. They often have little in the way of factual basis and are coloured by emotion or other motives.

Last year people, including some TA's were telling us that all of Greece was being overrun by refugees and/or that the monetary system would collapse and we would be stranded. They seemed to stress violent riots in Athens heightened by general civil disobedience. One step away from Doomsday.

It turned out to be one of our most enjoyable trips ever-so much so that we will probably go back again this fall.

In six weeks of travel we saw a few refugees in Pireaus..about six men. Never had a problem using our credit card, accessing cash from ATM machines. Nor did we ever see one violent demonstration in Athens or even one demonstration.

We have no intention of travelling near the Syrian border.. I suspect most others don't as well and those that do are probably extremely well informed. And not by posts on CC. So really, what is all the fuss about?

We stopped our Conde Nest subsription a few years ago. For us it had become more of an advertising brochure than a magazine and we found that too many of the articles were influenced more by the advertisers than on facts that were of interest to us. we pay as much attention to them as we do to the TA at the end of our street.

Edited by iancal

I agree there can be fear mongering. However, I have to admit that I'm puzzled HAL has not cancelled the ports. It won't change my decision about whether I take the cruise, either way. The travel advisory we have for the bulk of Turkey actually reads almost the same (except for the region specific caution) as it does for Belgium, France and Sri Lanka.

The good news for us. Verandah cabins on the Med run are currently selling for about $110 per diem on Konigspdam and $70 per diem on Oosterdam. (24 days) if one if prepared to book a month out. Hope these are representative of Oct short notice pricing.

A passenger on board ms Prinsendam (in Greece at the moment) just posted this on facebook.

Quote: Moments ago we received word the US State Department recommends travelers to avoid Istanbul, Turkey and some other cities in Turkey so our ship will be changing its itinerary. Disappointing but prefer to be safe. unquote.

A passenger on board ms Prinsendam (in Greece at the moment) just posted this on facebook.

Quote: Moments ago we received word the US State Department recommends travelers to avoid Istanbul, Turkey and some other cities in Turkey so our ship will be changing its itinerary. Disappointing but prefer to be safe. unquote.

I guess Kusadasi is now out too, it's around the corner from Izmir which is a no go for Americans..

One, can you let us know about Kusadasi if the traveller posts a cancellation? I know there has been some debate about Izmir the city and Izmir the state. I suspect it will be cancelled but a confirmation would be helpful