Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Have been following your travels, as we are going next year, and wondered if there was any place where you HAD to have currency other than US. Was there?

Happy that you guys have had good times but so sorry for all the rain!

Even though it is hot where you have been I would guess we should pack an umbrella and a waterproof jacket as well...right? Seems like you guys have been wearing shorts and tank tops alot but bring cold weather gear too?

Thanks so much for posting all the pictures and comments for all to enjoy.

Have been following your travels, as we are going next year, and wondered if there was any place where you HAD to have currency other than US. Was there?

Happy that you guys have had good times but so sorry for all the rain!

Even though it is hot where you have been I would guess we should pack an umbrella and a waterproof jacket as well...right? Seems like you guys have been wearing shorts and tank tops alot but bring cold weather gear too?

Thanks so much for posting all the pictures and comments for all to enjoy.

This weather is NOT normal. Our guide in Moorea said the rainy season ends in December. But just as we got in our van, the skies opened again and it has been torrential rain (again).

We did bring an umbrella mainly for Vancouver and San Diego and HAL does have umbrellas in our rooms (I think they are in all rooms??? Not sure)

It is warm in some places but the rain definitely cools things off. I have not worn a pair of shorts yet - chicos, pants and long skirts, but that is what I prefer. Some have been wearing shorts and are fine. I will say that I have been wearing more long sleeved things than I thought I would have - but, again, that is due to the rain.

We had a couple of guides that wanted to be paid in their currency (private tours arranged ahead of time) but the rest all wanted U.S. $

You can use U.S. $ in any port you are in with no problem, but the exchange is not always good. Sometimes it is and if that is the case I will use some U.S. $, but most times it has worked out better to pay in xpf.

If it is on par (which is the easy way to do it, but not the real exchange rate), then using U.S. $ makes sense.

If it is not, you can end up paying extra. Here's an example

e81d137d485661ba13f9357532f56fd2.jpg

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This weather is NOT normal. Our guide in Moorea said the rainy season ends in December. But just as we got in our van, the skies opened again and it has been torrential rain (again).

We did bring an umbrella mainly for Vancouver and San Diego and HAL does have umbrellas in our rooms (I think they are in all rooms??? Not sure)

It is warm in some places but the rain definitely cools things off. I have not worn a pair of shorts yet - chicos, pants and long skirts, but that is what I prefer. Some have been wearing shorts and are fine. I will say that I have been wearing more long sleeved things than I thought I would have - but, again, that is due to the rain.

We had a couple of guides that wanted to be paid in their currency (private tours arranged ahead of time) but the rest all wanted U.S. $

You can use U.S. $ in any port you are in with no problem, but the exchange is not always good. Sometimes it is and if that is the case I will use some U.S. $, but most times it has worked out better to pay in xpf.

If it is on par (which is the easy way to do it, but not the real exchange rate), then using U.S. $ makes sense.

If it is not, you can end up paying extra.

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the helpful information. What one (or more) thing would you like to pass on to the next group of cruisers on this similar cruise? Any helpful info is so appreciated. Enjoy!!

So glad the sun found you and wishing you calm seas now.

Keep the pictures coming.

Shar

I am sorry to report that as soon as we settled on a tour and guide and got in the van, the sun disappeared, the skies opened and it teamed rain. I'd love to post a pic of the Belvedere look out but since we couldn't see a dam thing, there isn't much point.

It is absolutely pouring, fog has poured in and we are back on the ship after being absolutely drenched (again). "Sigh". Grabbing a bite in the LIdo, back later if the internet works.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the helpful information. What one (or more) thing would you like to pass on to the next group of cruisers on this similar cruise? Any helpful info is so appreciated. Enjoy!!

I will add some comments toward the end and hesitate to say too much right now as I am not in the right frame of mind.

I will say that....

As an experienced cruiser, I know the risks of tender ports. I fully confess that I never considered this type of weather that we have encountered. Combine that with the missed ports and this is a very expensive cruise. It's a bucket list cruise and HAL charges accordingly.

If anyone is considering doing this cruise, I would recommend you look very hard at the ship you are doing it on. The saving grace of this cruise has been the decent - good food - very good food, nice menu choices overall, good service on board and the company of CC friends and friends overall.

This cruise would have been a disaster on the wrong ship with poor food and service. JMO.

If this had been our Oceania Riviera cruise, I suspect we would have gotten off in Papeete and flown home.

Captain Van Eerten and his team are very professional and doing their utmost to show us a good time. His proactive mood to contact the home office and obtain a bid of Future cruise credit and Obc is most appreciated.

OK - glass is not 1/2 full, but with the extra time we had to spend on the ship I am pretty sure most people had already eaten up that obc if not more and I think I would have liked to have seen a higher amount.

I think in the future I will be reluctant to book so many tender ports as well, if the cruise has a premium price tag attached to it.

JMO though. As someone said earlier, even Pollyanna would have a hard time being cheerful today.

Going back again (if uploads work) I am behind in my On Locations and menus,

So here are the On Locations and menus for yesterday - our day in Papeete...

a032325fa2f38ba67e9acba15b2dad0d.jpg

2936cf520c13bfbd2fe580ea817969c6.jpg

903df19f02c093a196f44f2d6533198d.jpg

6e60a0ce87fea214707a48b3d645acbf.jpg

446e7765f67081c6204fc65bd7bd26bf.jpg

We were up at 5:45 this morning to get our tour from an early tender. We were in the buses by 7:15. After a beautiful red sunrise, we had an idea the weather would deteriorate. By 10:30 the skies opened, but we had seen quite a lot of this gorgeous island. The weather has been atrocious since Hawaii, and we were just saying we would not do the cruise again, although we love returning to Hawaii.

733671bb3438efd14dd5551a9d3eb179.jpg

5ed1458fc18a5156f3353d073a7c139a.jpg

View of Opunohu Bay from the Belvedere:

8ccda87cd7f933430a3d82fd3d4706fa.jpg

Kazu it is truly sad that you all missed the Islands that you did and the awful weather.

It is hard to realize, and we are so fortunate that on our cruise (the same as yours) in Dec.'14 & Jan.'15 we had beautiful weather and got to all the Islands It is nice that HAL did give you some compensation.

Here's wishing you a better cruise (weather wise) and better ports to dock at from now to Vancouver.

Helen

We were up at 5:45 this morning to get our tour from an early tender. We were in the buses by 7:15. After a beautiful red sunrise, we had an idea the weather would deteriorate. By 10:30 the skies opened, but we had seen quite a lot of this gorgeous island. The weather has been atrocious since Hawaii, and we were just saying we would not do the cruise again, although we love returning to Hawaii.

Kazu it is truly sad that you all missed the Islands that you did and the awful weather.

It is hard to realize, and we are so fortunate that on our cruise (the same as yours) in Dec.'14 & Jan.'15 we had beautiful weather and got to all the Islands It is nice that HAL did give you some compensation.

Here's wishing you a better cruise (weather wise) and better ports to dock at from now to Vancouver.

Helen

Thank so much Helen.

We have two ports left - Nuka HIva and then San Diego. I don't count my disembarkation port (Vancouver) as a port ...but we are staying a couple of days.

Hoping for good weather in Nuka Hiva and nice weather and smooth seas for our trip back to San Diego. We really NEED it. Weather sounds a tad stormy on the way to Nuka Hiva (big surprise) and the clocks start the forward March tonight.

Tonight it is just 1/2 hour. I know there are more forward times coming so we can catch up.

Thanks for posting the view Ann :). By leaving early you did well, since you had sun most of the time. I know it was a very early morning, but you did very well from the scenic view point there ;)

Sorry, I don't know why my post appeared twice. My iPad is doing strange things!

The ship's internet probably had a hiccup.:D Nice photos, Ann.

Now if this makes you feel better - we have gone from sunny, hot and 31 to cloudy, showers and 15. I just hope it warms up again by the time you get home.:)

I can certainly understand all your tremendous disappointment about the weather and missed ports. However, after surviving 16 hours of a hurricane with 90 foot waves and 100 mph winds around Cape Horn in December 2010, count your blessings that nothing has been life threatening. We thought from minute to minute that we were going to die, because we thought the ship would break apart from the pounding it was taking.

Also, last July, my dream trip of the Norwegian fjords (including a complimentary upgrade to the Pinnacle Suite) was as bad as weather can get. Rain, drizzle, snow, clouds and a temperature that never went above 58 Fahrenheit.

We all know the risk of weather when we book that special cruise. Such high hopes - some times dashed.

Your cup really is over half full.

Count me as another who would not book a premium price cruise that consists mainly of tender ports again. It is just too much money to pay for day after day of heavy rain, missed ports and cancelled excursions. I accept that the weather is an unpredictable factor but the cruise gods have not been kind to us at all.

The saving grace has been the amazing Westerdam crew and the fact that we have a number of old CC friends on board, plus we have met several CCers that we had not had the pleasure of knowing before. We have had some good times together and we also have a number of group activities planned for the long sea days on the way back to San Diego. If it had just been the two of us alone ---------.

The offer of an onboard credit and 15% off the base price we paid for this cruise applied to our next cruise was very much appreciated. We recognise that HAL was under no obligation whatsoever to compensate us so it was very generous on their part and a good move from a PR point of view.

Thanks for the pictures! The ones that aren't rain soaked show a beautiful place!

Sapper1, I understand why you feel that way, I think. This is truly a bucket-list cruise for many of us following along. For us, it would be a trip of a lifetime, with no chance to do it again, I think.

IMHO you are all demonstrating a great attitude, given the challenges. Who would expect the South Pacific (where we all thing "sun, warm, gentle breezes") to provide such challenging weather this time?

I can certainly understand all your tremendous disappointment about the weather and missed ports. However, after surviving 16 hours of a hurricane with 90 foot waves and 100 mph winds around Cape Horn in December 2010, count your blessings that nothing has been life threatening. We thought from minute to minute that we were going to die, because we thought the ship would break apart from the pounding it was taking.

Also, last July, my dream trip of the Norwegian fjords (including a complimentary upgrade to the Pinnacle Suite) was as bad as weather can get. Rain, drizzle, snow, clouds and a temperature that never went above 58 Fahrenheit.

We all know the risk of weather when we book that special cruise. Such high hopes - some times dashed.

Your cup really is over half full.

I'm trying to make some sense of this post, as it relates to this thread.:confused: I haven't seen anyone actually complain, only report on the weather conditions. And you are comparing a round-the-horn and Norwegian fjiords cruises to a S. Pacific/Hawaii cruise. Although I get that you had a rough time on both, I can't figure out what it has to do with this cruise. We went through a hurricane once on an Alaska cruise, and missed ports, but I wouldn't even begin to think I should equate that to this thread.

I am sure you meant well, but if you are going to make comparisons it has to be apples to apples, etc.

Having cruised with many of these people I know they are making the very best of a bad situation.

For most of my life, a sea voyage meant going from A to B - probably no stops in between. So missing ports doesn't mean that much to me, as long as there is fun to be had on board. There have been some disappointments on this cruise, a big one for me (call me really silly) has been the lack of orchids in the Lido. Very strange. I thought perhaps they would stock up in Tahiti, but no such luck. Then again, I suppose they couldn't bring "foreign soil"!on board. I hope it is just that someone forgot to order them in San Diego.

Looking forward to an interesting sea day today.

It was a tad rocky last night, but not uncomfortable. Just motion of the ocean, but it was there.

Clocks went forward 1/2 hour.

We are sailing on the way to Nuka Hiva and the sun is OUT. There isn't a grey cloud in the sky that I can see and it is warm and beautiful. Hallelujah!

Too bad we weren't in a port today, but hoping it will be like this tomorrow for Nuka Hiva.

We have a private tour booked and open air is involved so we really need some good weather. Please?????

Before I forget, we brought all kinds of insect repellant because of the Dengue outbreaks on the big Island and elsewhere in Hawaii. Never saw a mosquito. Kept the insect repellant handy in case.

Our guide yesterday told us that that there are areas in Moorea where they have Dengue fever 1, 2 and 3 and Zika virus. I never saw any of that on any of the warnings when I was researching. We never stepped out of the van in those areas, but DH and I did get a mosquito bite so hoping they didn't come into the van and "get" us and it is just a normal one.

So for those of you doing this cruise in the future, make note to wear insect repellant in Moorea.

I have really enjoyed this ongoing review..and am so sorry you all have had bad weather...know it's a disappointment...but I want to thank you too..for making me realize that this cruise has a lot of tender ports...I can do tenders....sometimes..but don't really like to and my mobility gets worse as I get older:D

I probably won't ever do this cruise....but it is one I have really given some thought to doing...I will from now on check tender ports when looking at different cruises....we pretty much do the Caribbean...so I know what is a tender and what is not...this thread has opened my eyes regarding weather and tendering! We did miss Maui on our Hawaiian cruise on the Zaandam a few years back...and have missed Grand Cayman...but over all have been very lucky with tendering.

Hope the weather holds for your next port:):):)