Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Update for those wondering. We are caught in the middle of a cyclone. There is no escape most likely. Only to go to the best ports at the best possible times. The ship desperately needs stores. They are running out of things. I suspect they were supposed to load up at Rarotonga and it could not be done. But I don't know for sure.

Definitely with the inability to tender and needing to use stabilizers the ship has been using more fuel so they definitely need to bunker and load up.

Well, we decided to get off today rain or not and decided to get off before the sun came out as we knew the tenders would be swamped. We always said that on day 2 we would get to Bloody Mary's and we after a bit of browsing, we did. The shuttle rides can be an adventure and provide a bit of a tour on their own.

The men did investigate the infamous men's washroom but apparently it is not a good idea to post those on the CC boards - LOL.

I did get some pics and I will upload them shortly and try not to duplicate Kathi's (Scrapnana's). Thanks Kathi for posting them too :). Great pics.

Here are a few more from yesterday.

e6fa57b9e8209a794a9db5f623701ed3.jpg

f852891bea22935015ca0c4f98c1c45c.jpg

d0b8f3080e7d17d3d99e9554804b2503.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Papeete is really a great overnight!

I hope it is not raining, because the waterfront walk across from where you dock is very nice!

If the weather is good, it almost feels velvety: warm, soft breeze, dark and a romantic, winding walkway. Make sure you say Bon Soir to the few locals who might be fishing off the seawall.

thanks Silver, whether the weather is nice or not we will do the waterfront walk for sure.

We shall indeed bid the locals Bon Soir.

We all received a letter tonight addressing our issues. The interesting part is quoted below...

"I've been in contact with our home office and as a special gesture of goodwill we are pleased to provide each of you with a Future Cruise Credit equal to 15% of the base cruise fare you paid for the 30-day sailing which began April 2, 2016. The terms and conditions of this credit are noted on the back of this letter. Additionally, we are pleased to provide an onboard credit of $100 per person for your enjoyment on this sailing. This will be posted tonight on your shipboard account."

All in all, much better than a glass of champagne!

A special 49th Anniversary wish to our good friends Georgina & Gerry (gigianne) April 22, 2016.

Last year we celebrated their 48th Anniversary while on the Oosterdam together.

Georgina, I’m sure you remember your special day in Noumea. Here are a few of pictures of that special day.

Hope you and Gerry have another Special Anniversary.

Your welcoming committee:

P1220373_zpsd8ldviwm.jpg

Your Dining Table:

P1220586_zpsu5jjealm.jpg

The feast:

P1220604_zpsemmmgqyk.jpg

The banquet table:

P1220614_zpseggugmiz.jpg

Hi Jacqui

Been reading your posts every day and really enjoying your reports. I'm sure even the poor weather is not "dampening" your enthusiasm.. Your photos have been beautiful and the videos have been really entertaining. Love watching them. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Your photo with Patrick was priceless.

Give Georgina and Gerry a happy anniversary from me. Glen's pictures brought back the day we shared with them last year.

Keeping fingers crossed weather improves for all of you. Know you had a great roll call.

Ruth Ann

We all received a letter tonight addressing our issues. The interesting part is quoted below...

All in all, much better than a glass of champagne!

Agreed, much better than a glass of that swill they pass out.

Giving the future cruise credit and current OBC were the fair thing to do, under the circumstances. In the amounts listed, I don't even consider it overly generous. You missed a lot of port time, and had too many days on board that were less than enjoyable.

Yes, I realize HAL wasn't to blame, but this was no Caribbean cruise with the per diems charged on such. This was a dream of a lifetime cruise for many.

Thanks for reporting on the offer.

What's happening to you happened to me 4 years ago on a cruise from Brisbane to Papeete. Weather during cyclone season can be nuts. The ship I was on gave us a $1000 pp credit toward a future cruise. It didn't matter of one had the cheapest cabin or the most expensive (which was around 8X more).

Some were extremely happy and some were obviously not.

How nice to see the anniversary wishes for Gigianne. We will be dining with them tonight in the Pinnacle and before the Pinnacle dinner, there will be a renewal of vow ceremony. It will be in Hawaiian! It should be a very nice moment. Rumour has it that someone may be videotaping - LOL. We are in Papeete and I do see a glimmer of sun trying to peak out through the clouds. Here's hoping.!!!!

Our On Location and dinner menus from yesterday, day 2 in Bora Bora

d92178f1dec6485f0de517c6619c741f.jpg

83d8e3a47314769679fb2a90962cb83a.jpg

c05239d75801bd25cc95b7781148f2ca.jpg

34f6b08dae2827524d1e001d82be9ac6.jpg

2d276495e18d467306e6e46b5d83975c.jpg

Wind Star has just pulled up beside us..

<Snip

Wind Star has just pulled up beside us..

I think that's the Wind Spirit. Wind Star is off Spain, but the 2 ships are virtually identical. And Happy Anniversary, Gigianne.

Roy

Hooray for all the tooting leaving Bora Bora!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Golly -- can't believe that you are having more bad weather and that your itinerary has to be changed a little. Hope your tour in Moorea won't be affected with the change.

Great pictures!!

You are absolutely correct. Apologies!

I was listening to the disembarkation and misheard. Apologies.

Looks like a new cruise is starting here for another group of passengers on that ship.

Scrapnana, we didn't receive a letter - was there a letter of complaint sent to the Captain about "our issues"? Maybe ours just hasn't arrived yet!

They were in all the mailboxes last night Ann.

I think it was a proactive move by the captain.

All the guests got one from what I could see.

Here's the letter for you...

4637633d3052a391068b51b497addda2.jpg

And the terms and conditions on the reverse.

78c8357438716baa4b06f5404a5166f3.jpg

Feel free to download it to your iPad. It applies to everyone on board.

If the pics are not clear enough, I can do another and email it to you if you need it.

AND THE SUN IS OUT!!!! HURRAH!!!!!

Edited by kazu

Yea for the sun!!

It is so good that your captain stepped up and got some compensation for everyone for the missed ports and messed up itinerary.

Back in 2010 Hurricane Paula changed our western Caribbean cruise into an eastern Caribbean cruise. We didn't get anything -- not even a free glass of cheap sparkling wine.

d0b8f3080e7d17d3d99e9554804b2503.jpg

Enjoying your photos....but especially appreciate this photo showing the logistics of how to get in and out of the boat.....

Was it as easy as it looks....are there steps down in the water....or was there a struggle getting up on the first step....??

When you reached the motu....any problems stepping up onto the dock...??

Thanks....it looks like it was a fun excursion....:)

Thanks, Kazu and Scrapnana, I found it. It pays to read all the words...!! Glad I didn't recycle it.

So nice to be able to walk off the ship this morning in the sunshine. We had a nice tour to a garden and a marae, now after lunch, we're going to go into Papeete.

Another "thank you" to everyone who is contributing. I have a very important question -- have you gotten to someplace where they sell pearls? >small sigh< :)

I am happy to report that Kazu got Tahitian pearls today in Papeete. I found a lovely wholesale/retail store that would even set the chosen pearls for you. I believe a couple of other roll call members (at least) have made purchases - 1 in Bora Bora and the other on board from Kainoa, our On Location guide. His aunt has a Pearl store and her is selling them on board. I may be visiting him on sea days. LOL.

By the way, Kainoa is a licensed minister and he will be performing gigianne's vow renewal ceremony tonight.