Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Well, if all you are going to do is get a glimpse of Rarotonga....

9660f7bb3c8241265645d24732bc9c8f.jpg

You might as well have a drink

c0bc1c6c35e59400b110467b08138bcf.jpg

Mango frozen Margarita.

Tour of the island has finished and we are heading North.

Will be docking in Raiatea tomorrow night around 9 pm as another ship is there and doesn't leave until then.

Le Cirque is tomorrow night too, but we should be mostly done by the time we dock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If memory serves, one of the tenders got caught on that reef during a HAL cruise last fall. Some of the passengers managed to get out and walk to shore, while others stayed until they were freed.

I can't recall which cruise, but think it may have been the Circle Pacific. Didn't the Captain go out to the tender to check on things?

Sorry you missed one of the prettiest islands down there, but better to leave, and be safe.

If memory serves, one of the tenders got caught on that reef during a HAL cruise last fall. Some of the passengers managed to get out and walk to shore, while others stayed until they were freed.

It was the Amsterdam on the World Cruise in January...this is one of the photos....

59477019_AmsterdamtenderhitsbeachinRarotonga1-27-16.jpg.dfeb60847676b4b1e7f2bde101aac088.jpg

Yes, glad that's not us! Actually, we've had some amazing views of this very craggy island, which we might not have had if we'd been on it. I've had some difficulty getting on line, hope the Internet doesn't disappear again, but I'll try to post a couple of photos.

It was the Amsterdam on the World Cruise in January...this is one of the photos....

Thanks for refreshing my obviously faulty memory.

But I had the substance right! It was better for the Westerdam to move along than to risk a repeat of the Amsterdam's performance!

Hi kazu, enjoying your posts. My question is...is that fabulous looking mango margarita available with the Signature Beverage Package? Please say "yes". [emoji41]

Sorry Southernbelle, I don't have the Signature Beverage Package - just a Beverage card. I think it cost either $6.95 or $7.95 and I think those are both within reach of the Signature Package if I remember the rules correctly? It was very good by the way.

Last night there was a happy hour by "invitation" for those cruisers from the Commonwealth Countries. It was held in the Crow's Nest and was very well attended.

There were lovely munchies, a multitude of servers so there was little delay in serving and it was quite nice.

On board we have Australians,Canadians, South Africans, New Zealanders & people from the United Kingdom.

I forget all the numbers but there are about 80 Australians, 4 New Zealanders, 2 South Africans and around 280+ Canadians I believe.

Well, it is morning here. The sky is grey, the seas are grey but at least it isn't cold. It feels more like a Trans Atlantic than the South Pacific today and yesterday. Hoping the weather takes a turn for the better.

Last night there was a happy hour by "invitation" for those cruisers from the Commonwealth Countries. It was held in the Crow's Nest and was very well attended.

There were lovely munchies, a multitude of servers so there was little delay in serving and it was quite nice.

On board we have Australians,Canadians, South Africans, New Zealanders & people from the United Kingdom.

I forget all the numbers but there are about 80 Australians, 4 New Zealanders, 2 South Africans and around 280+ Canadians I believe.

Well, it is morning here. The sky is grey, the seas are grey but at least it isn't cold. It feels more like a Trans Atlantic than the South Pacific today and yesterday. Hoping the weather takes a turn for the better.

Hey! That would have been a fun party! Not heard of that one before.

Nice that some ships think outside the box! You have a good Captain and Hotel Director, let's give them the credit!

Nice that some ships think outside the box! You have a good Captain and Hotel Director, let's give them the credit!

Absolutely!!! And the invitation was received a couple of days ago, before the port of Rarotonga was a no go.

We've been invited to a Commonwealth Party before on a couple of cruises. It is very nice.

We are doing Le Cirque tonight and missing the Gala night menu. "Sigh". Dress is smart casual though even though it is the Gala the menu.

f54c517f51a86cd1c81c9d940d82707d.jpg

Here is our On Location for today. I planned to go to the Pearl seminar but it was in the Stuyvesant Room. Standing room only and packed. A guy was weaving in front of me and I was afraid for the elbow being banged again, so no Pearl seminar for Kazu.

Here are is our On Location for today...

becd85e266d265bac45d2974f9361b08.jpg

561f4da8cfef3fd8664c09d20e2c3b24.jpg

cb6c46db342ec7827b5b65f85882689c.jpg

They have been serving a lot of buffets on the Lido deck. Even though we couldn't tender yesterday, they did succeed in getting fresh tuna, so today's buffet on the Lido is tuna and Caesar salad and they are both really good :)

8da8c874372126eef06844a685b75ab3.jpg

c1b8c8b074e854df2d2590d22bb79dc7.jpg

bdbd36e421bdef7299d3cc5471970111.jpg

Playing a bit of catch up in the hopes that we will be busy in Raiatea tomorrow and I will have lots of beautiful pictures to show you all. It's NOT looking good. The storm we are in the middle of is not moving away fast enough. There is a narrow passage we have to go through to get to the dock in Raiatea. Captain Van Eerten will not know until around 4:40 p.m. Or so IF we will be able to get through that narrow passage and be able to get into Raiatea. If we can't count on a docked port, there could be a mutiny on board.!!!! Or as on roll call member said to me - "the elegance is starting to fade". Thankfully the ship's food and service has been very good. That is a saving grace. The ship is doing everything it can to show us a good time.

Here are the different beverage and wine packages/activities that are available. As you can see there is lots of diversity.

8e77233f7826e1708fc8cce93beb9d77.jpg

79155e77220fb2a5bd4ef769bb8057e1.jpg

e1044fb3855dde603951383299358eb5.jpg

Oh, no! Not again!

Any "Cruise to Nowhere", or "Flying Dutchman" jokes starting up yet?

Cruise to Nowhere has started already Ruth along "Ship of Fools". LOL.

It's not a "no" yet, so I have my fingers crossed, but I am having a hard time being optimistic. Luck seems to have abandoned us on this cruise. I hope I am very wrong.