What is Alpha, Alpha, Alpha??

BearySweet2Cruise

Whilst on a bridge tour on the Serenade last week we heard the call "KILO, KILO, KILO", but no one would tell us what it meant.

The security officer only said that it was a drill for a new code--anyone out there hear about this one?

Someone lost their 2.2lbs x 3 retirement contraband package...

Whilst on a bridge tour on the Serenade last week we heard the call "KILO, KILO, KILO", but no one would tell us what it meant.

The security officer only said that it was a drill for a new code--anyone out there hear about this one?

Wow, Tom, an ELEVEN year old thread! :eek: (Tell Bonnie that I say "hi")

I think that "Kilo, Kilo, Kilo" is a drug alert code. ;) :D

Edited by Merion_Mom

Wow, Tom, an ELEVEN year old thread! :eek: (Tell Bonnie that I say "hi")

I think that "Kilo, Kilo, Kilo" is a drug alert code. ;) :D

Bonnie sez "hi" right back at'cha! How's everything going with y'all?

We think that KILO KILO KILO means "emergency stop", but we're not sure...

The emergency signals are as follows:

Alpha-Alpha-Alpha+Location is a medical emergency, as previously indicated.

Bravo-Bravo-Bravo is not just for fires. It is "fire, damage, oil spill and any other hazard to the ship, guests, and crew". A location MAY or MAY NOT be broadcast with the Bravo.

Charlie-Charlie-Charlie is a security incident.

Oscar-Oscar-Oscar+(Port or Starboard Side) is a person overboard.

Source: official incident flowcharts posted outside the bridge on Explorer of the Seas.

The emergency signals are as follows:

Alpha-Alpha-Alpha+Location is a medical emergency, as previously indicated.

Bravo-Bravo-Bravo is not just for fires. It is "fire, damage, oil spill and any other hazard to the ship, guests, and crew". A location MAY or MAY NOT be broadcast with the Bravo.

Charlie-Charlie-Charlie is a security incident.

Oscar-Oscar-Oscar+(Port or Starboard Side) is a person overboard.

Source: official incident flowcharts posted outside the bridge on Explorer of the Seas.

Do you realize that this thread is ELEVEN YEARS OLD?

And that Tom resurrected it just to ask about this "new" code, Kilo, Kilo, Kilo?

:eek:

And that Tom resurrected it just to ask about this "new" code, Kilo, Kilo, Kilo?

Yes (well, almost 10.5 years ;))...does it matter how old the thread is? That often seems to be a point of contention amongst CC members...some members complain about others (mostly newbies) starting a new thread to discuss something that's been beaten to death many times, and others complain about resurrecting old threads... :rolleyes: Can't please everyone.

I didn't see a reply in the thread that covered the main codes comprehensively (particularly correcting the misinformation/implication about "bravo" only being for fires), so I thought I'd reply. :)

Have not heard of or seen a chart for "kilo", though.

On Rhapsody last Aug along with bravo, bravo, bravo and the location at between 12 and 1.30 am all the lights flashed on and off (including in our cabin). I was terrified- phoned to wake my girls (22yr and 18yr) in their cabin down the hall and made Dh go get them and bring

them to our cabin (with life jackets in hand)- they and DH wanted to kill me saying no way was it fire- but I had read the codes on here- 2hrs later the caption came on loud speaker to say we had a fire in the galley area - (later I heard that it was dishwasher that had caused it) and it was now out and all crew could stand down. Family amazed I knew ;) - Yes I know collecting the girls and life jacket thing was over kill- but I do the same again lol

Edited by fragilek

All crew members must have first aid training and some fire training but some are trained in fire fighting in depth.

In fact, the majority of the crew are only required to have attended the "Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities" training, as mandated by the IMO through the STCW code, which is only 4 hours long, and covers "elementary first aid" and "basic fire fighting". Not much could be covered on either topic alone in that amount of time.

Some crew, depending on their emergency duty assignment receive additional, onboard training in either first aid or fire fighting, but this is generally less than 50 per ship. The deck and engine departments, at all levels, must meet higher training requirements for first aid, firefighting, and lifesaving.

The "code" messages are more for limiting the response of first responders than not panicking the passengers. If there is a medical emergency, you don't need the fire teams, or the lifeboat teams, so it is more efficient to announce, "code alpha", so that just the medical and security teams respond. Unlike during the passenger muster drill on embarkation, in a real emergency, once the signal sounds (the familiar 7 short and one long blast), every crew member reports to their emergency station, and everyone has one.

So, for a fire, the first report is generally to the bridge, via a smoke or heat detector, who will then send the security personnel to check it out. That person reports back to the bridge, and the bridge officer will call "code bravo", and only the fire teams, security team, on-scene command team, and technical fast response teams (typical ship organization) will respond. If the on-scene commander decides the emergency can be handled by those personnel, that's the end of it. Only if he/she feels the situation warrants mustering the passengers and clearing areas of the ship will it escalate to the passenger muster alarm (which is actually the signal for "fire and general emergency", not abandon ship).

Sulu, AKA George Takei, is a cruiser. He has been the star guest on several Star Trek theme cruises (cruisetrek dot com). On the earlier cruises (Charlie has been doing these for at least 15 years), George brought his mom. I heard she was a hoot! Would have loved to meet her.

Sulu, AKA George Takei, is a cruiser. He has been the star guest on several Star Trek theme cruises (cruisetrek dot com). On the earlier cruises (Charlie has been doing these for at least 15 years), George brought his mom. I heard she was a hoot! Would have loved to meet her.

We met George and his partner on a cruise in Hawaii. Very nice man. Was showing us

the puka bead necklaces they made in a class on the ship.

Edited by island lady

Cute, this thread is a little bit of history reading from 2005. ;)

Kilo, Kilo, Kilo was called on our last cruise this month on Enchantment. We asked the

crew member what it meant. He told us it was a crew member training code for a

sinking ship.

DH and I told him we thought it was code for a drug bust. ;) :p

Edited by island lady

Vessel emergency codes

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition to distress signals like Mayday and pan-pan, most vessels, especially passenger ships, use some emergency signals to alert the crew on board, and in some cases, also the passengers. These can be in form of blasts on alarm bells, sounding the ship's whistle or code names paged over the PA system.

Mr Skylight paged over the PA system is an alert for the crew on board and means there is a minor emergency somewhere.[1][2]

Mr Mob means man overboard.[3] Man overboard can also be signaled with three prolonged blasts on the ship's whistle and general alarm bell (Morse code "Oscar").[4]

Code Blue usually means a medical emergency.

Assemble at Muster Stations, seven or more short blasts on the ship's whistle and general alarm, followed by one long blast.[4]

Fire and emergency, continuous ringing of the general alarm bell for ten seconds and a continuous sounding of the ship's whistle for ten seconds.[4]

Red Parties, Red Parties, Red Parties, used by Disney Cruise Line over the PA system to alert the crew of a fire or possible fire on board the ship. The message is immediately followed by information about where the fire is.

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo, used by many cruise lines to alert crew to a fire or other serious incident on board without alarming passengers.[5]

Alpha, Alpha, Alpha is the code for Medical Emergency aboard Royal Caribbean ships.

Alpha Team, Alpha Team, Alpha Team is the code for a fire emergency aboard Carnival Cruse Line ships.

Star Code, Star Code, Star Code is a code for Medical Emergency aboard Celebrity ships.

Oscar, Oscar, Oscar is the code for Man Overboard aboard Royal Caribbean ships.

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie is the code for a security threat aboard Royal Caribbean ships.

Echo, Echo, Echo is the code for a possible collision with another ship or the shore aboard Royal Caribbean ships. On board some cruise lines this means danger of high winds while at port. It alerts the crew responsible for the gangway, thrusters etc... to get into position and be ready for new maneuvers.

Notes and references[edit]

Jump up ^

Does that really matter, since the content of the thread is still accurate and relevant? The security codes (like Alpha, Bravo, Oscar) haven't changed, and it's probably interesting to some people who didn't know, even if the thread is old.

Does that really matter, since the content of the thread is still accurate and relevant? The security codes (like Alpha, Bravo, Oscar) haven't changed, and it's probably interesting to some people who didn't know, even if the thread is old.

Exactly. I am excited about my upcoming cruise in 6 days, was "crusing" the message boards and saw this thread which I found completely relevant and interesting. Especially because the NOS called and OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR the other day.

Sometimes passengers have to respond to these signals as well. At about the time this thread was originally created, I once had to respond to what they called a "Code Brown" at Adventure Ocean Aquanauts. :eek: