Royal vs Carnival differences

I have been sailing Carnival for 13 years now and enjoy it. I've only sailed Carnival and sail more for itinerary than the ship. We've booked our first RC cruise, Adventure of the Seas, for March of next year because of itinerary.

I'm trying to research what the real differences are between the 2 lines. I've read about 30 threads talking about this, but I keep seeing the same thing over and over - opinions. 20 people say RC has better food and another 20 say Carnival has better food...things like that. What I'm looking for are definitive differences.

I'll start with a few I've found

1. Carnival has Guys for Free, RC has JR for a cost. (free vs cost)

2. Carnival has comedy clubs and RC only has 1 or 2 comedy shows per cruise

3. Carnival does "showtime" in the dinning room where RC does not.

4. Carnival allows you to bring on one 12 pack of soda per person, RC does not allow any.

Thanks in advance for all the help filling out this list.

4. Carnival allows you to bring on one 12 pack of soda per person, RC does not allow any.

Not necessarily true. While its technically against their rules, most people have no problem taking a reasonable amount of soda on a RC ship.

Royal has no equivalent to FTTF and Early Saver.

Royal has no daily limit on drinks from the unlimited beverage packages, nor do they require all guests in a stateroom to buy the same (or any) package.

Royal still has "showtime" in the dining room, though that may vary by ship. Sometimes I see it once per cruise, sometimes twice.

5. Carnival steakhouses will serve you a USDA Prime cut included in the 35.00 pp charge. Royal charges you 18-20 dollars extra on top of the 35.00 charge for "something special". The jury is still out on how "special" those steaks are.

Edited by ryano

this pretty much sums it up: If you want to be treated like a King (or Queen) choose Royal, if you want to be treated like a CLOWN, go with Carnival.

Another Royal Caribbean cheerleader that clearly has their head in the sand

Edited by ryano

Another Royal Caribbean cheerleader that clearly has their head in the sand

haha!!! suppose i'm in a trolling mood this afternoon. guess i'm getting caught up in the "spirited" presidential races going on right now lol

Edited by Illmaxict

this pretty much sums it up: If you want to be treated like a King (or Queen) choose Royal, if you want to be treated like a CLOWN, go with Carnival.

See this is the exact kind of comments I was trying to avoid by asking for definitive differences and not opinions.

Standard (nonsuite) category cabins Carnival tends to be equivalent or larger to Royal.

Carnival pricing on internet and specialty dining are much easier on wallet than Royal.

I think Royal's ships are much easier to get around, better passenger flow, less crowding, and generally look much more sophisticated and maintained to a better standard than Carnival.

Entertainment on Royal is varied better; more shows, more live music, more entertainment overall.

I'm one of the handful here that think Carnival food is better almost across the board. They have more options included in the fare, more late night options, and I find the taste and quality above Royal.

To me Carnival is an excellent value up to a cost that is 70% of that of Royal's. If the price goes beyond that, I feel Royal is worth the price difference as the whole experience is just a bit more...upscale; refined, soothing <?>. It is hard to quantify but it is a combination of the average guest, the ship itself, and the less rowdy demeanor of cruise director staff.

Sort of how a Chevy Impala and Lexus ES350 do pretty much exactly the same thing; but one is just "nicer".

This is a combination of objective and subjective assessments. I'm booked for another Carnival cruise because Royal's pricing has iced me out; but I'd prefer Royal.

I have been sailing Carnival for 13 years now and enjoy it. I've only sailed Carnival and sail more for itinerary than the ship. We've booked our first RC cruise, Adventure of the Seas, for March of next year because of itinerary.

I'm trying to research what the real differences are between the 2 lines. I've read about 30 threads talking about this, but I keep seeing the same thing over and over - opinions. 20 people say RC has better food and another 20 say Carnival has better food...things like that. What I'm looking for are definitive differences.

We are just the opposite of you. We have been sailing Royal for many years and just recently tried Carnival because we liked the Journeys itinerary and did a b2b (21 days) in Jan/Feb.

I agree with your comments and add the following which are my observations only and hope they help:

1. We love the Breakfast Brunch that Carnival has on seadays from 8:30 to 1:00. It is a sit down brunch in the MDR and you select from a very nice menu. My favorite is steak and eggs for breakfast.

2. Carnival has a more relaxed dress code and shorts are allowed in the MDR for dinner and on Royal they are not. Carnival does have formal nights which some dress and some don't.

3. Carnival just went to a new American Table Menu. I'm not sure how I feel about no table clothes (except on formal night) in the MDR.

4. The TV channels on Carnival are the best. They have direct TV and you are able to get ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and FOX, movie channels to name a few. It is by far the best selection we have had on a cruise ship. On Royal you are limited to FOX and CNN and some movie channels and that's it. It was actually nice to be able to get news and weather.

5. Food is subjective and we've found it to be good on both, but prefer Royal for dinner. We liked the buffet (better selections), Guys Burgers and the Cantina (burritos, tacos, etc) on Carnival and the service was excellent on the Carnival Pride.

6. On the Carnival Pride we had the singing Maitre'D Ken and he was fabulous. Every night he would sing a Frank Sinatra song and of course there was always some entertainment by the entire staff.

Edited by psupa

Seriously what's the point he is not going to like RC. If he already read all those threads he know, heck he has the list already!

Let me preview the review like the 100's others Carnival cruisers going on RC.

no guy, no guy... JR burgers suck, JR burgers suck... Comedy show sucks.. no waterslides, no waterslides...not as much fun...rooms are smaller...pizza suck....can't bring soda on... did I mention you DON'T have Guy burgers for FREE...etc, etc. OP poster will have an OK time, but go back to Carnival.

Same goes for RC cruisers on this board, the Majority will try something else and them come back home to RC.

Seems to me, which ever cruise line breaks your cruise virginity will get most of your cruising $$ over the years.

Don't know if you have kids or not but our son enjoyed the flow riders on Royal. The Teen club however seemed to not have a lot going on, often activities that were scheduled got cancelled and by midweek he was not that interested in going back.

Seems to me, which ever cruise line breaks your cruise virginity will get most of your cruising $$ over the years.

Not the case with me at all. At least not yet anyway. It will all depend on how well Carnival Magic stacks up against what Ive been use to on Royal. I sure do like Carnivals prices better. Ive never been able to justify the cost of a 5 year old ship on Royal. Especially one that was just drydocked and a lot of cool amenities added.

Im only loyal to my wallet. I do love the fact that Carnival has put one of their newest ships in my favorite port to sail out of and the prices are good. I love Port Canaveral as its a very easy drive down, I can park at the port for free and its fun to stay in Cocoa Beach overnight before the cruise. Three out of four of my RC cruises has been out of PC

Edited by ryano

We like the food on both, but food can be a personal choice. We did Chef's Table on both. I like being in the galley on Carnival. Probably wouldn't do it if it was another venue. CT on Oasis was better overall for food, presence, and wine pairing.

Recently, we booked Cloud 9 spa balconies on Carnival. We love the location and close proximity to Serenity Deck. Wouldn't do a Carnival ship without a Serenity Deck. Last three Royal cruises and upcoming Allure we have booked suites.

Suite amenities are much better on Royal. We love the suite only sun deck areas, which Carnival doesn't have. Plus, Coastal Kitchen/Suite Lounge on Oasis class is a fantastic venue.

If going on the "cheap" for a "I don't care about the ports" then it's Carnival. I know some people don't care for the Oasis class ships. But we have found we really like them. Funny, but our favorite ships have been the Oasis and Oceania. Talk about two ends of the spectrum.

Edited by jamesr3939

I haven't sailed on Carnival recently but tried it one time on the Glory, it was a great cruise, and a fun time. I had been on the Brilliance in the Spring, Glory in the Fall.

For all the negatives I heard about Carnival, I just didn't see it. I'm not a major fan of show stuff in the dining room every night but did it ruin the dining, no. At the time the food between the two was very similar. No complaints, and I thought the buffet area on Carnival was a little better.

The rep Carnival has had for years, in my opinion, hasn't been justified for a long time. It is not my cruise line of choice but I would never bash them or discourage someone from trying a Carnival cruise.

#1 Carnival does have a wider variety of free non-MDR/non-Lido offerings.

#2: RC has 'Comedy Live' on some ships, though the venue is ridiculously small. Punchliner is bigger but still isn't large enough to accommodate the crowd.

#3 As mentioned, RC does have 'showtime' in the MDR. 2-3 nights a week.

#4 The rules say not allowed, but in reality it is allowed.

- RC doesn't charge me for room service delivery of french fries, Carnival does charge me. (Carnival wins on better room service food choices.)

- I don't know what day of the week it is after entering an elevator on Carnival.

- Loyalty perks on RC are much better. (You have to have 25 days on carnival to get anything more than a bottle of water.)

- On RC I can buy an alcohol beverage package without requiring anyone else in the cabin to purchase it.

- RC has no issues with me taking a CPAP. Carnival check-in took 25 minutes and required the attention of 4 different people. I was stopped again prior to boarding because of it when they scanned my sail & sign. For some reason being flagged for carrying a CPAP required me to present my Passport.

Edited by ewenix

Whoa! Having cruised on both I can attest that is a false statement. Both have pros and cons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I respectfully disagree with this comment. I started cruising on Carnival in 1996 and was a die hard Carnival cruiser every year until I took my first RCCL cruise in 2001. Haven't been back to Carnival. Remained a die hard RCCL cruiser until 2012 when I started cruising Disney. Came back to RCCL last year (2015) and am cruising with them again this year (2016).

So although I started with Carnival they don't get the most of my cruising $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same goes for RC cruisers on this board, the Majority will try something else and them come back home to RC.

Not necessarily. We will cruise other lines depending on cost and itinerary. We tried Carnival for the Journeys cruise itinerary and cost (21 day b2b cruise in a balcony). We have the NCL Breakaway booked for a 14-night for the itinerary, and also have the Anthem and Grandeur booked. I will go where I get the best deal$$. My favorite ship is the "ONE I'M ON NOW" and doesn't matter which line.

In 1982, cruised with NCL, next 4 with them. I went on Princess for a few then tried RCI. I switch between RCI and Princess as I sail for itinerary, longer cruises (no 7 days), pricing is last on my list. I don't go NCL because I want to have a set dining experience.

It isn't a matter of coming home to RCI, has to be an itinerary including places I haven't seen yet. It can be Princess or RCI. Princess gets most of my $$$ as they are pricier than RCI but an itinerary I prefer. In 2017, I'm back to RCI for Australia as their prices were way better than Princess.

Edited by susancruzs

Carnival had a live mini orchestra in their orchestra pit for their shows - our girls loved that as bothplay in orchestras. This made the show seem more like proper theater productions than those on Royal especially when combined with the standard of the shows which were much better on carnival anyway (caveat - I only sailed on the Rhapsody on Royal so they may have the live orchestra for shows in their larger ships - on saying that I have also only been on the equiv size older carnival ships). Best show on Royal was the ten min acrobatic show in the atrium - carnival doesn't have an equivalent Also carnival had 2 showings per evening so you could always make the show- Royal only put there show on once per night for 3 of the 7 nights - our dining made it impossible to then see the show so had to do buffet instead of mdr

Edited by fragilek