The secret to not getting sick from a cruise is...

secret(s)/

Nah Basic simple Management Practices as well Basic Staff training. Yes the HotMan 's (Hotel manager) JOB.:confused:

Aboard it is apalling that even I have seen numerous times staff coming out of W.C. Stalls and not washing nor even rinsing.:mad:

Having HOT Water and lye Soap works as well kills 99.99999999999999999% of germs.

Having SLOP Sinks awith Foot Pedals so noone has to touch the Faucets and get contaminated would surely be wise.:cool:

Toucing Elevator Buttons with your Knuckles too.

The Regal and Royal Princess have sinks in their buffets as well. Royal Caribbean did a better job, though, by installing 6 instead of just 2. As others pointed out, though, a lady wiped her nose and could have gone right up to some tongs for more food. At least this is a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just wondering how bad the lines got waiting to get into the windjammer if there's only 6 sinks per entrance -- especially during peak times such as breakfast on a port day?

There are six on the port side entrance to the Windjammer, and six on the starboard side entrance. It really didn't create a traffic problem at all.

Wow 15lb's, that is nearly 7kg! That would freak me out if I gained that much.

Maybe all those new dining options on Quantum class can be a little dangerous - I'll have to keep that in mind.

Hope you manage to lose it all OK. :)

Thats actually about the norm for me. When I vacation I go all out with the food and drink and hardly exercise. When home it's complete opposite, I still enjoy my drinks but watch what I eat and exercise typically 5-6 days a week, so about half of it drops of fairly quick when I get to my normal routine.

Thats actually about the norm for me. When I vacation I go all out with the food and drink and hardly exercise. When home it's complete opposite, I still enjoy my drinks but watch what I eat and exercise typically 5-6 days a week, so about half of it drops of fairly quick when I get to my normal routine.

You must really go all out as you say - I'm a max of 2-3kg gain on 12-14 night cruises & the day after getting home I typically lose a kilo straight away, so I think part of the gain is water weight - probably due to the higher salt content of the food on board.

In 2013 we did 3 cruises almost B2B totalling 40 days & I only gained 1 kilo! I was amazed, but I also found knowing I was on the ship for so long changed my attitude to eating compared to shorter cruises, so maybe I ate less than normal on a daily basis.

I think regardless of how much anyone puts on it's important for long term health to get it off again within a month or so of being home.

I have met people who basically say they never fully lose each weight gain & slowly their weight creeps up year after year, & they lament that they let it get to the point that they are now too large to even get around comfortably.

Norovirus is a huge concern on cruise ships as are other viral and bacterial infections. Many people will get sick and some will die from acquiring it.

Infections propagate more quickly in part because of sick people coming in contact with others in close confinements like elevators, crowded theaters and buffet lines, coughing and sneezing on other people and fomites which transmit viruses. Food is also a common way to transmit infectious organisms.

Washing hands and using sanitation gel helps to combat the spread of infectious organisms by reducing them. Period. There may be a debate about which of the two methods is more effective but there is no debate that they both reduce the number of germs on hands and surfaces.

There is also no evolutionary resistance of microbes to alcohol gel as someone intimated previously. The evolutionary resistance and rise of 'superbugs' has to do with antibiotics which works in a completely different manner to kill germs. You can easily look this up. Alcohol based products if properly used is like a lava flow that leaves little to nothing in its wake for germs to propagate until you touch something dirty again.

It's like many other things where a little scientific knowledge goes a long way. Those who understand and take precautions tend to have a lower incidence of infection and sickness. Those who don't, tend to be at higher risk for getting something like norovirus and dying, especially if their immune system is subpar to begin with.

Edited by AntiMatter

I was just telling my husband yesterday, on the way home from a cruise, they should set up some kind of a hand washing station outside of the buffet! Had no idea they are doing this on Anthem. I believe a lot of people use the hand sanitizer instead of washing, and it does not kill Norovirus. :eek: I always stop in the ladies room to wash my hands before eating and hate the way they push the sanitizer on everyone. False sense of security, although I guess it's better than nothing.

Thanks for posting!

I think an actual hand washing station makes more sense as opposed to the alcohol based hand cleaners. The problem is that most people do not, properly, wash their hands to begin with. As one who cooks, I wash my hands frequently with hot water and a good soap several times while cooking. Like others on this board, I have never gotten sick onboard.

I have gotten sick more from flying than any other time. That makes me wonder, quietly, how many people flying in from all over the place are actually bringing in the Norovirus from other sources. It is, after all, more common in other crowded places more frequently than cruise ships. They are just not required to report it like the cruise industry. This cruise ships are the ones taking the bad publicity.

Edited by LarryL

We were getting sick on nearly every cruise because there was always someone at our table who claimed that their sniffles were allergies or that they were at the tail end of a cold.

Ever since we started getting a table for 2, after a particularly bad upper respiratory infection contracted on a cruise in 2012, we have not been sick since.

Since lack of hand washing means bacteria and viruses on them, we need to not touch our faces, because that's how the germ enters our systems. I'm a kind of ocd hand washer, but started paying attention to how often I touched my face. I was astounded to realize that I am constantly rubbing my eyes, touching my chin or forehead etc.

if we could pay attention and keep our hands away, we'd all be healthier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Working in the service business, I'm well aware of how disgusting the public can be. I'm very cautious on cruises, and haven't been sick once.

I find bringing your own hand sanitizer and using it after you collect your items from the buffet also helps. Just because people have used the hand sanitizer as they walked into the buffet doesn't mean they haven't sniffled on their hands (or worse) before they grab the giant serving spoons to grab their food.

I also bring anti-bac wipes and wipe down the whole cabin prior to us settling into it.

...also drinking lots of vodka helps ;).