Circle (Curtis Stone) magazine

smellycruzer

I've just about had it with Curtis Stone. I used to enjoy receiving and reading the Captain's Circle magazine but the latest editions have essentially been promotional material for Curtis. It is not doing anything to persuade me to book yet another cruise (although needless to say I will!). There are so many other interesting topics that could be covered in that magazine. Is anyone else tired of hearing about Curtis or is it just me?

We just got it and threw it in the garbage.

Having experienced SHARE, I am of the belief that Princess is promoting so much because it's not going too well. The food was just too out there to be experienced again and again. It was usually empty, and it was being pushed even out on the pool deck. I would bet they don't end up rolling out to the other ships, and that would be a good thing.

While we had people sitting on either side of us in Share who said it was the best meal they had on the Emerald Princess, I tend to agree with you. My husband still talks about it. Unfortunately, it's not in a positive way.

I think we need a new thread. "People that hate Share without ever trying it."

Would people that have eaten at 'Share' and didn't particularly care for it be allowed to post in such a thread?

A predominant theme of Cruise Critic forums over the last few years has been the reduction in quality in Main Dining Room food and service on all non-luxury cruise lines. I'm not disagreeing: the economic downturn + keeping cabin fares low required cost cuts somewhere, and foodstuffs and labor are the biggest variables available. So now the cruise lines want to rebut this perception -- what can they do? Announce "our Main Dining Room doesn't suck any more"? -- wouldn't work. So they are all signing up "celebrity chefs" to give them some cachet. There aren't that many to go around. I don't know who Curtis Stone is, but he is what Princess got. Complaining won't do any good, until his contract is over.

Well, just a thought... I will be happy then try it at least once.

Don't forget that Sabatini's and Crown Grill costs have just gone up.

Everyone has a choice, you can partake or not... but to keep complaining ad nauseam about SHARE, the Royal, the Regal, etc. Is nonsense. If you can't deal with it, there may or not be another cruise line in your future, but then again, you'd find something to complain about...

Is anything ever good enough for you guys?

I'm very hopeful that, one day, cruising will be an option no longer available to all the petty complaining cruisers.... that should be fun!

To be honest, I'm so thankful for the auto cruise... not as much as I'd like. However, things do change fast, given my experience. One day, you're on top of the world, the next... So, when you do complain, please give that a thought. You could lose everything in one day and then those complaints would mean what? Enjoy and appreciate what you have, life is too short

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

To those of you who threw the CC magazine in the trash because of the cover, you missed out on some decent articles about cruising and cruise destinations. Of 35 pages, the Curtis Stone article took up just 4. Maybe that is 4 too many for some but the other 31 pages had some nice features on Dubrovnik, the Panama Canal, Venice and some of the upcoming cruise itineraries. I really like the changes to the magazine and yeah, am hoping for a different cover in the future. But I do like that most of the focus is on the destinations and cruise experiences.

I've just about had it with Curtis Stone. I used to enjoy receiving and reading the Captain's Circle magazine but the latest editions have essentially been promotional material for Curtis. It is not doing anything to persuade me to book yet another cruise (although needless to say I will!). There are so many other interesting topics that could be covered in that magazine. Is anyone else tired of hearing about Curtis or is it just me?

No, not just you. I'm sick of hearing about him and sick from the Curtis Stone food on offer in the Main Dining Room. He's not just all over the Circle magazine, you only need to open the Princess website.

Edited by wishfulone

When I read the menu and there's nothing on the menu that appeals to me, I won't eat there. It's the same for any restaurant I go to. There's plenty that I avoid and then I have my favorites because I like what's on the menu.

There are plenty of places that I haven't eaten because there is nothing appealing on the menu, but I don't trash the place or its chef. I've read a few good reviews, but it seems the majority of reviews are from people that have no intention of trying it.

To those of you who threw the CC magazine in the trash because of the cover, you missed out on some decent articles about cruising and cruise destinations. Of 35 pages, the Curtis Stone article took up just 4. Maybe that is 4 too many for some but the other 31 pages had some nice features on Dubrovnik, the Panama Canal, Venice and some of the upcoming cruise itineraries. I really like the changes to the magazine and yeah, am hoping for a different cover in the future. But I do like that most of the focus is on the destinations and cruise experiences.

Then put the destinations on the front cover, not the chef. For me, I do not cruise for the food or chef, I cruise for the sites, ambiance, people. I like the food, but it isn't the reason why I book. There's always that disappointment when someone says that such-and-such is the greatest. You try it and wonder what was so great about it! Like all things, don't get your expectations up too high. I learned that after cruise #2 many years ago.

/just saying

There are plenty of places that I haven't eaten because there is nothing appealing on the menu, but I don't trash the place or its chef. I've read a few good reviews, but it seems the majority of reviews are from people that have no intention of trying it.

Neither do I, give me a menu that's appealing. Curtis Stone hasn't given it to me, but maybe others like it. You can't please all the people all of the time, and yes, reading the reviews people aren't willing to fork over the money for something that they may not like. I would be totally *issed forking out money at a restaurant that doesn't appeal to me, and Curtis Stone is one of them.

Pretty basic.

How is it possible to "review" a restaurant if one hasn't eaten in it? I think what you are objecting to is the remarks from people who find, as you yourself say, "nothing appealing on the menu." To suggest something isn't appealing isn't a "review." Maybe we need a dictionary around here.

Edited by shredie

Like! (We really need a like button on here)
[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']Well, just a thought... I will be happy then try it at least once.

Don't forget that Sabatini's and Crown Grill costs have just gone up.

Everyone has a choice, you can partake or not... but to keep complaining ad nauseam about SHARE, the Royal, the Regal, etc. Is nonsense. If you can't deal with it, there may or not be another cruise line in your future, but then again, you'd find something to complain about...

Is anything ever good enough for you guys?

I'm very hopeful that, one day, cruising will be an option no longer available to all the petty complaining cruisers.... that should be fun!

To be honest, I'm so thankful for the auto cruise... not as much as I'd like. However, things do change fast, given my experience. One day, you're on top of the world, the next... So, when you do complain, please give that a thought. You could lose everything in one day and then those complaints would mean what? Enjoy and appreciate what you have, life is too short[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shredie']How is it possible to "review" a restaurant if one hasn't eaten in it? I think what you are objecting to is the remarks from people who find, as you yourself say, "nothing appealing on the menu." To suggest something isn't appealing isn't a "review." Maybe we need a dictionary around here.[/QUOTE]

Let me correct my statement for the, let's say picky. I should have said: I've read a few good reviews regarding Share, but it seems the majority of the remarks in this thread are from people that have no intention of trying it. Feel better?

[quote name='Host Jazzbeau']A predominant theme of Cruise Critic forums over the last few years has been the reduction in quality in Main Dining Room food and service on all non-luxury cruise lines. I'm not disagreeing: the economic downturn + keeping cabin fares low required cost cuts somewhere, and foodstuffs and labor are the biggest variables available. So now the cruise lines want to rebut this perception -- what can they do? Announce "our Main Dining Room doesn't suck any more"? -- wouldn't work. So they are all signing up "celebrity chefs" to give them some cachet. There aren't that many to go around. I don't know who Curtis Stone is, but he is what Princess got. Complaining won't do any good, until his contract is over.[/quote]

Bring in Paula Deen - now we're talking about good food! She cooks with lots of butter! Edited by elliair

[quote name='shredie']How is it possible to "review" a restaurant if one hasn't eaten in it? I think what you are objecting to is the remarks from people who find, as you yourself say, "nothing appealing on the menu." To suggest something isn't appealing isn't a "review." Maybe we need a dictionary around here.[/quote]

Maybe it's really a "review" of the menu. If liver is on the menu at any restaurant, there's only one word for me to describe it "BARF!" Now some people happen to like liver. Okay with me, but it just brings back horrible childhood memories. Also, I'll review the price - it's upfront and IMHO not worth it for me to spend the money on food that I don't like on the menu. Others may find it just fine for them.

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']No thanks! That's just a heart attack waiting to happen! So unhealthy.[/quote]

So is that chocolate melting cake! :p Did you know that lobster and shrimp is very high in cholesterol? :p That Alfredo in the Parmesan basket is unhealthy but I still order it. I'm on vacation!:p

[quote name='shredie']Be careful. Criticizing the Great Curtis Stone on CC will get his fans after you. :p They do seem to be pushing his food awfully hard. [I][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"][B]I wonder if they need to do that because it hasn't been the success they hoped?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/QUOTE]

[I][SIZE="4"]I would say that is a fair assumption.....:):):)

Bob[/SIZE][/I]

[quote name='notentirelynormal']I tossed the magazine too. I was disappointed there wasn't more about cruising, Princess, where I want to go. They must have paid him a pretty penny and now are desperate to get their money back. You would think we were sharing on the Curtis Stone cruise line, not Princess.[/QUOTE]

[B][I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"] DW & I watch a lot of shows on Food Network and one of her favorites is CHOPPED! Which is exactly what Princess needs to do with Curtis Stone! ;)

Just Mike[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]