Saltwater pools?

travel33

We're going to be on the Magic in June, and was wondering if the pools were saltwater. Our last cruise on the Liberty they were saltwater, and wasn't sure if that was carnival wide or not.

I understand that on the dream the pools are saltwater. It's unfortunate in my opinion.

We're going to be on the Magic in June, and was wondering if the pools were saltwater. Our last cruise on the Liberty they were saltwater, and wasn't sure if that was carnival wide or not.

I believe it is Carnival Wide. The big advantage to having salt water pools is that they are emptied and refilled nightly which really cuts down on shared icky water bugs. If they used chemicals it would not be as environmentally friendly. But on the other hand, a lot of people don't like them.

I'm not sure the water slides use salt water. Didn't have the salt water feel in your skin like the pools do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is my understanding that on the Dream the slides are freshwater.

They are salt water.

The waterslides were fresh water with chemicals but on the last day of the cruise, which coincided with being in Nassau, the water slides were pumping out very strong salt water.

Not sure if they were cleaning out the system or not but that one time, the water slides were hard to use

Salt water is used because it costs money to produce fresh water, and as a PP noted, the pools are drained at least weekly (not many drain them nightly, just the hot tubs).

All salt water pools are chlorinated to the exact same levels as fresh water pools with one exception. If the ship is more than 12 miles from shore, the pool may be operated in "flow through" mode, where sea water is continuously pumped into the pool and the excess overflows back to the sea. In this mode, there is no need for chlorination. However, once back within 12 miles of shore, the pool must be back in recirculation mode, and closed until the chlorine levels are correct, so unless there are several sea days in a row, many ships remain on recirculation/chlorinated mode even at sea.

Salt water is used because it costs money to produce fresh water, and as a PP noted, the pools are drained at least weekly (not many drain them nightly, just the hot tubs).

All salt water pools are chlorinated to the exact same levels as fresh water pools with one exception. If the ship is more than 12 miles from shore, the pool may be operated in "flow through" mode, where sea water is continuously pumped into the pool and the excess overflows back to the sea. In this mode, there is no need for chlorination. However, once back within 12 miles of shore, the pool must be back in recirculation mode, and closed until the chlorine levels are correct, so unless there are several sea days in a row, many ships remain on recirculation/chlorinated mode even at sea.

Said it much better than I could. I knew after a certain distance from shore they could operate as flow through.