Tired of all the games with pricing

I just use a site that tracks all cruiselines, all ships, all sailings, that cuts the crap. RCCL isn't much different than your Kohl's, or grocery store. Every week they have 'sales' and new sales flyers, but in the end, milk is still the same price, as is eggs, and bacon.

You must have awful stores. We have real sales every week on lots of items, including eggs, milk, bacon and every other staple. As a matter of fact, sales are so common and actual, we buy most of our groceries only at sale prices.

And you must have a different Kohl's, also. Just bought a batch of summer polo shirts for 6.99 each after sale deductions.

I find that RCCL's sales are more like the store that advertises a going-out-of-business sale year after year.

Can't say I pay any attention to the pricing schemes. I pick a cruise, check the pricing, and book if it's a good value. The trouble is 'value' is in the eye of the beholder. You can get caught up and angry if you pay too much attention but in my mind, life is too short for that. I also book as early as I can.

Agreed. I look for a cruise we'll enjoy and if we can pay for it in the allotted time, we book it.

One of our friends are cruise fanatics. Each time they have a cruise they make a Word document, and they check the price every day and document it. They then compare all of the price drops they were able to obtain to the original (agreeable) booking price. Once they shaved $500 off their original price with lots of little price drops.

I decided to do this for the cruise I just booked. I signed up for the Cruise Critic price monitoring but I did this anyways, and good thing I did. With less than 24 hours after booking, the price dropped $160! I did the best price guarantee and got $180 in OBC.

I'm going to keep monitoring prices to see if I can save a little more money...

I used my phone to type this, excuse any typos please!

One of our friends are cruise fanatics. Each time they have a cruise they make a Word document, and they check the price every day and document it. They then compare all of the price drops they were able to obtain to the original (agreeable) booking price. Once they shaved $500 off their original price with lots of little price drops.

I decided to do this for the cruise I just booked. I signed up for the Cruise Critic price monitoring but I did this anyways, and good thing I did. With less than 24 hours after booking, the price dropped $160! I did the best price guarantee and got $180 in OBC.

I'm going to keep monitoring prices to see if I can save a little more money...

Why Word? Seems like Excel would be a better program within the Office family.

We were thankful for finding a 10 night sailing on AOS March 29, 2017 for $774 gty inside cabin with an online TA, our orginal price was $884 with a different TA, they would not price match because they said it was a group rate and they would lose money so we canceled and rebooked we saved $220.

Why Word? Seems like Excel would be a better program within the Office family.

Haha I know what you mean, but it would only be two columns lol and I guess it's just the way the cookie crumbles ;)

There are many other cruise lines to choose from, and some of them are actually very nice!:):):)

I am Loyal to my Wallet. :D

BILL

I'm with you on this, Bill!

Priced out a 5 day to Bermuda on Anthem for

next June in a standard balcony cabin.

The "Bogo Sale" would cost me almost $3k with taxes, port charges and

insurance. No Diamond balcony discount permitted.

$600 a day for 2 people is insane. 😡

I used to be a Loyal Royal, but times change. My last cruise with them was on the Serenade because I booked in May2014 at the beginning of their first BOGOHO sale, which really was a sale for 2 weeks. Since then, Royal's prices have gone crazy and I have found better deals on other lines.If they ever get back to reality, then they might see me again. By the way, they also have to change their stale itineraries.

• 2 weeks later...
I used to be a Loyal Royal, but times change. My last cruise with them was on the Serenade because I booked in May2014 at the beginning of their first BOGOHO sale, which really was a sale for 2 weeks. Since then, Royal's prices have gone crazy and I have found better deals on other lines.If they ever get back to reality, then they might see me again. By the way, they also have to change their stale itineraries.

They are never going to change. RCCL has put you in Jamaica where there is very little to do but visit the RCCL owned stores just off the ship. This is no coincidence.

• 2 months later...

So we are booked on Allure for March 25th. Got a balcony for 3k and pretty happy about that deal for the four of us as it is Spring Break for most people.

I found the price through endless checking and rechecking of prices and finally hit a day where there were actually some discounts.

It is much like planes and I get it from the RCCL point of view. They have a business to run and it is supply and demand. It does seem to me though that the demand is waning and many, like me, were looking elsewhere for vacations. This caused a drop in prices and value oriented shoppers will probably start coming back.

I am excited for the cruise and will type a review. We did Oasis three years ago or so now and loved it.

I understand why prices fluctuate (economy, supply/demand, empty ships, etc...) and I understand marketing. However, instead of checking Royal's site daily, I monitor price changes for my sailings with the website: cruise fish dot net

That website updates daily with price changes and as long as you are not past the final payment due date, you can call Royal and have your price reduced to the current price.

I will say that we saved $200 in our cruise price and got an onboard credit for $50 when the bogo sail just cropped up. I was pretty surprised since I've never gotten a good deal after booking like that! I for sure think it is one of those things that depends on the situation and booking.

I also always take all inclusive land vacations as well! I went to Jamaica at Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall which was gorgeous, amazing food, luxurious and less than some of my cruises! We also just finished up a 7 day in Cancun at all inclusive Hotel Riu Palace Los Americas and it was so amazing and perfect. We did a bunch of excursions in Cancun as well and it priced out pretty close to our cruises in hump balcony cabins. So you can have an awesome all inclusive land vacay as well. Cruising is nice but both is better!

Early in October, I learned that both my children will not be with us at Thanksgiving. That's OK - they both have in-laws to see.

I thought of a cruise during the BOGO sale then and checked the Independence for a Promenade Cabin and it priced it at $1473 for 2 people. I thought it looked good and went on. They gave us the last cabin by the stairway, which did not much matter. This could not have been the best cabin on the Promenade, though. It was priced at $2400 something for two people. Both prices are before taxes.

I decided not to book it and just stay home. I was booking late, anyway, and might not have been able to get airfare for that time. But if the cabin was $2400, then say that on every screen.

Having them say there is a sale is what frustrates people because we then expect a sale price.

Edited by KansasK

Early in October, I learned that both my children will not be with us at Thanksgiving. That's OK - they both have in-laws to see.

I thought of a cruise during the BOGO sale then and checked the Independence for a Promenade Cabin and it priced it at $1473 for 2 people. I thought it looked good and went on. They gave us the last cabin by the stairway, which did not much matter. This could not have been the best cabin on the Promenade, though. It was priced at $2400 something for two people. Both prices are before taxes.

I decided not to book it and just stay home. I was booking late, anyway, and might not have been able to get airfare for that time. But if the cabin was $2400, then say that on every screen.

Having them say there is a sale is what frustrates people because we then expect a sale price.

You should look again. Balcony cabin with all fees and even free tips is $1,519. Only two left

Edited by John&LaLa

We have to cruise in November or February each year due to work so I watch the sales closely. When I see the ship we want at the time we want, then I book a year ahead so I get the cabin we want. If the price drops and it usually does at some point, I call RC and get it adjusted or get an OBC. I envy those of you who live in FL, are retired, and can take those last minute deals. Some day......

I have gotten some of my best deals in the soft time between Thanksgiving and the middle of December.

In 2011 we did 10 nights in an aft corner for approx. $1800 for two all in (port fees taxes and grats).

This month we are on a 12 night Anthem trip in a D8 balcony for $2700 for two all in. But to keep in perspective...In March of this year i booked this trip in a Obstructed Balcony for approx. $3600 for two all in. By keeping my eyes open (and using CC) I was able to upgrade from obstructed to unobstructed and save $900. Paid for the Premium drink package I was able to snag for $39pp/pd in March which has now been automatically upgraded to the Deluxe:).

I have also found good rates right after Labor Day. I like to travel at non-peak times where there is a chance of fewer kids (don't flame me - I have two and they are fully cooked so I did my time;)) and these strategies have worked for me. YMMV.

I am diamond on Royal and have a lot of cruises under my belt but have been vacationing on different forms for the last 2 years or so and will continue to do that as the value of cruising is definitely gone. By the time you add it all up, it is simply not a 6,000 vacation, no way, no how.

Just spent a week at an all inclusive in Mexico for way less than half as much. Beautiful beach, great food and service. Just a thought for the board.

I agree. In fact, we just reserved our first cruise since 2013 due to the diminishing value of Royal's product.

They have to pay for all of these new ships somehow, I suppose!

I don't really see much value on being a repeat/loyal Royal customer either. They seem to have made a corporate decision that they are going to place their focus on NEW cruisers at the expense of their existing customers.

Cruising had been our first choice of vacations since 2007, but we now look at land based vacations just as much or more-so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No arguing with OP regarding the sale games, they are a joke. The best thing to do is simply ignore them, price the cruise/ships your interested in, and book if the price is agreeable.

As someone else mentioned the value can still be there.

Did a 35 night B2B on Explorer OTS in April/May for $1667pp and got $875 OBC. :eek:

Just back from an 8 night Pacific Coastal on Explorer OTS for $379pp with $175 OBC. :cool:

Leaving today for a 12 night transatlantic on Jewel OTS for $487pp with $200 OBC. :D

Booked a 14 night transatlantic on Brilliance OTS in April for $699pp with $550 OBC. :)

I seem to have NO problem finding DIRT CHEAP prices almost anytime. :rolleyes:

And it is most certainly NOT from booking early... OR directly with the cruise line... OR during their inane "sales." :o

Edited by teecee60

I agree with the comments on this thread. The sales and promotions are often misleading.

I tend to ignore the promotions and just regularly check prices. Some of the online websites have a simple search function that allows you to check prices for all cruise lines for a given month. I order by cheapest and then scan down the list. Helps me keep track of prices and compare what different brands are offering.

I book if I see a price which is reasonable and meets my criteria. As with any other purchases, I don't book if it is too expensive. So it doesn't matter what price the cruise line is charging at a given time. As a discerning customer, I make the decision.

• 2 months later...

Hey if you really want to see the exaggerated effect of diminished value, pair it up with being in a generation where, you've watched the market change AND you're now cruising with a family of 4 yet you started cruising as a single person, then a married person, and so on, 20 years ago.

20 years ago I aways felt cruising was a fantastic value. Then the cruising market began changing as kids showed up. And now I find myself paying a full cruise fare for the kids which includes a 2 year old that is free just about everywhere else. Now that condo at the beach that we can drive to is the best deal going!

We're cruising this summer, got two cabins since the price of jamming four of us into one cabin was about the same price and with two cabins we get double the TA perks. But it isn't an every year thing by any means any more. If I were still single or married without kids I'm not sure it would be either. I'm just not sure the quality of service, food, etc. is what it once was.