Exterior cabins vs cabins with balconies

Skafos Phileo

Hi! As I'm getting ready to book a regular balcony cabin on Carnival Sunshine (which are 185 sq ft not counting the balcony), I noticed there are some exterior cabins which have 220 sq feet & are $500 cheaper. Any thoughts on giving up the balcony for 35 square feet more of space in the cabin, as well as saving $500?

Edited by Skafos Phileo

I would rather have the 500 dollars than a balcony, but I just never got the whole balcony lovers club. Maybe it is because I have a huge one at home and could not stand that little box like area on the ship.

My husband has some mobility issues so we really enjoy a balcony - but we probably use ours more than most folks. This way he can be out enjoying the sea even if he doesn't feel like going up on deck. We sit out there and read a lot. With the balcony he can do as much or as little as he feels up to.

IF we were younger and he was healthier and we thought we'd be spending lots of time out on loungers by the pool or bar hopping then I'd take the ocean view cabin and save the $500

I think balconies are good if you just have to have private time in your cabin. If it were 500 more I would stick with an ocean view. There are plenty of places you can go for quiet time. We spend a lot of quiet time on the 3rd floor deck right under the lifeboats outside of guest services or excursion deck. There are chairs out there and it is comparable to having a very large balcony because it is often empty (at least when we cruise). Other times when we want to socialize we go outside on lido or to serenity if there is one.

I have had balconies and ocean view and although I loved the balcony it was not worth the extra expense to me. And we spend a lot of time in our room.

We always have me , my husband and my son in the same room and 185 sq ft is plenty of space. If you are feeling closed in , there are so many places you can go to on the ship. Have fun either way.

Hi! As I'm getting ready to book a regular balcony cabin on Carnival Sunshine (which are 185 sq ft not counting the balcony), I noticed there are some exterior cabins which have 220 sq feet & are $500 cheaper. Any thoughts on giving up the balcony for 35 square feet more of space in the cabin, as well as saving $500?

I'm sorry, not following this, as some posters are saying you have an ocean view. You clearly state you are getting a regular balcony. What is an exterior cabin? For us, we would not sail without a balcony. Coffee, juice, and pastries every morning delivered to our cabin, priceless

How much are you going to use the balcony?? I would save $500 easily.

I'm a little confused....we have never paid $500 more for a balcony over the price of OV cabin??:confused::confused: With that said the extra $100 pp or less that we have paid for our balcony has always been well worth it to us! Nothing like sitting in your own quiet privacy relaxing/reading/watching the ocean/the sun rise and/or set...to us it's what a cruise is all about!!

For me it's access to fresh air

DW and I consider ourselves Forever Afters. We love to sit on our aft balcony and read, talk, enjoy room service. Sitting there, watching the wake flow towards the horizon, listening to the rhythm of the engines, the sound of the ocean passing by. So relaxing, stress-relieving...so soothing...zzzzzz....

We always go with a balcony simply because there is nothing like enjoying breakfast in my bathrobe on the balcony before I start the day. It really is so peaceful, it's my guilty pleasure. It's also nice when we travel with groups and get connecting balcony cabins, we usually order milk and cookies and night after the shows and just sit out their and talk.

If the ship we are booking has the larger OV we always book it, subject to price. The bigger room is really nice. Our upcoming cruise on Freedom we went with the 220 sq. ft. OV

Not a big balcony fan.

We've had an OV on the Splendor 3 times and love the extra room inside the cabin. If we want to go outside, we just go up to any of the open decks.

There is a lot of things I could buy for $500. A balcony isn't one of them.

We have sailed in all kinds of cabins over the years but my husband said he wouldn't sail if he didn't have a balcony. He likes to sit on it and read when he's had enough sun and while I'm out on deck getting my triple dose of vitamin sunshine.

Rest of my family love a bigger Oceanview. For me, I love the balcony. I want to sit outside and just hang out, steps from anything I might need in my cabin. I have dragged all my stuff to sit on deck and it wasn't fun. Take a hat, book, sometimes a pen and paper, drink, towel just too much to drag along. On the balcony if I forget something I just step inside. Much better.

Rest of my family love a bigger Oceanview. For me, I love the balcony. I want to sit outside and just hang out, steps from anything I might need in my cabin. I have dragged all my stuff to sit on deck and it wasn't fun. Take a hat, book, sometimes a pen and paper, drink, towel just too much to drag along. On the balcony if I forget something I just step inside. Much better.

I totally agree :D

We also like to sit out on the balcony after we come back from our evening out and about on the ship to watch the moonlight on the sea or to try to pick out the constellations. Even if the weather isn't so nice we enjoy a bit of watching the "angry sea" :)

So there you have it....you have the one camp of "balcony lovers" and wouldn't cruise without it. the other camp is "room doesn't matter"....it all depends on what is important to you....to each their own

Exactly!!

Everyone has their own preferences.

For me, with the cost of flights from Calgary to Miami (2500 return for the two of us) I can't justify an inside cabin. Can't see paying more for a 9 HOUR flight than a 7 DAY cruise!!!

But to each their own.

Totally agree with both camps here. Traveled in both and I love both for different reasons. For my current needs (not struggling with mobility, prefer being out on deck than small balcony, hubby's habits, traveling with friends) we've been booking OVs lately.

That being said, if the conditions were right for it, and we traveled alone (we have lately been traveling with groups of friends, which keep us out of our cabin for the majority of the time) we would definitely consider a balcony. That being said, that decision would weigh heavily on the time of year we were cruising. That's a plus of OV rooms, no matter the weather outside, its just what you like inside! :)

I feel like the balcony is an extra room. We have elementary school age kids so we are usually back in our room around 10ish. But that doesn't mean we are ready to go to bed. Love to sit out of the balcony with wine until I am ready to turn in. Can't do that with an OV.

In the morning, I am the first one up. Room service coffee and iPad in my PJs on the balcony without disturbing anyone else.

And fresh air. We have been prone to sea sickness in the past. A balcony breeze helps.

I took my husband on his first cruise to Alaska. We got a balcony to enjoy the scenery. We can never go back.

I can see why people do it though. We can drive to most ports. If we had to fly it would certainly raise the price of the vacation. But I would still get a balcony.