What is the chance?

CJHAN

So what is the chance that we get an Oasis class chip in Galveston? is the channel to shallow? Is the ship to wide? Galveston almost always sails full and the price is always a bit higher then in Florida. Chance for tons of money to be made by RCCL. :D

So what is the chance that we get an Oasis class chip in Galveston? is the channel to shallow? Is the ship to wide? Galveston almost always sails full and the price is always a bit higher then in Florida. Chance for tons of money to be made by RCCL. :D

There is an Oasis class ship going to Miami. I wouldn't bet on one going to Galveston.

I could be wrong though.

I could have sworn Liberty sailings out of Galveston are by far the cheapest 7 night cruises Royal offers. Am I crazy in thinking that?? Only reason I prefer Florida is because airfare to Houston is stupidly over priced, plus it's an hour at least from the port.

But yeah, no chance for an Oasis class.

Edited by Powersboyee2

I could have sworn Liberty sailings out of Galveston are by far the cheapest 7 night cruises Royal offers. Am I crazy in thinking that?? Only reason I prefer Florida is because airfare to Houston is stupidly over priced, plus it's an hour at least from the port.

That's been my observation too.

Don't know where you got the idea Liberty costs more than ships in FLL or Miami, but not true. You said yourself "almost always sails full". How would Royal make money with more capacity? Cut prices below what Liberty is now?

I'll leave the price debate to the other experts. Given the tanker traffic to Galveston, Texas City, and Houston, even Oasis' draft and beam are small in comparison. The channel is deep and wide enough for Oasis class. However, given Galveston's fog issues (I know, I sit at anchor outside there all the time waiting for the port to open), I don't foresee RCI placing that large a single capacity ship there. It would make more sense fiscally, if the demand was there, to run two smaller ships, that would have different departure days, so that weather issues would likely only affect one or the other, not the one large ship.

Years back, we had dinner with the Staff Captain and he said Galveston couldn't hold a Freedom class ship. Well.....things change. :)

I defer to cheng but I would think the turning basin in Galveston is too small for Oasis. And the terminal - holy cow, no way. Also - Galveston is limited for ports and not sure there would be enough ports to hold an Oasis class ship from there.

I boat in Galveston Bay weekly. I'm pretty sure there's no cruise ship that is too big for the Houston Ship Channel. I'm also sure the ports could handle the largest cruise ship as well (Galveston and Houston).

I think the limiting factor is being able to fill the ship to capacity to optimize profits.

It would be awesome to see that city-block moving through the bay...

I boat in Galveston Bay weekly. I'm pretty sure there's no cruise ship that is too big for the Houston Ship Channel. I'm also sure the ports could handle the largest cruise ship as well (Galveston and Houston).

I think the limiting factor is being able to fill the ship to capacity to optimize profits.

It would be awesome to see that city-block moving through the bay...

I think they would also need a terminal and significant traffic flow improvements in order to handle the increased passenger load.

Edited by clarea

I cruised out of Galveston one time and hated that shuttle ride from the airport to the cruise terminal. The traffic was terrible and it took way too long on a bus without a bathroom. I'm not saying I won't cruise out of Galveston again but the ride from the airport is a deterrent for me.

Edited by Artemus

There is an Oasis class ship going to Miami. I wouldn't bet on one going to Galveston.

I could be wrong though.

Which one? I know Oasis is going to PC, and Harmony is joining Allure in FLL, so is this where Oasis IV is slated?

Which one? I know Oasis is going to PC, and Harmony is joining Allure in FLL, so is this where Oasis IV is slated?

It hasn't been confirmed yet. I read an article (perhaps out of the Herald?) stating that the port authority had agreed to expand the port and RCI will build a new terminal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Im finding that with only a few exception the Galveston 7 days are just as expensive and in many cases more, that is until you move up to the oasis class ship.

Im finding that with only a few exception the Galveston 7 days are just as expensive and in many cases more, that is until you move up to the oasis class ship.

don't know what you are comparing to as the others in the same class are either 6 or 8 night