Formal Night Questions

Hi Everyone, this is my first time posting on Cruise Critic and I'd really like some advice on a dilemma I'm having. My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon in 3 weeks on RCCL's Freedom of the Seas (7 days, Western Caribbean). We have both been on one cruise each before, but it's been years and neither of us can really remember details about them.

We plan to eat in the main dining room every night (except one which we'll spend at Chops) because we just think it's more special and higher quality. My stress is about the "formal nights". Basically all of the forums I've read have come across as "oh it's fine if you don't want to dress formal! You can just eat in the buffet". And that's not going to work for us. Neither of us owns any "formal wear". He does not have a suit, I don't have any fancy gowns or typical cocktail dresses. I really do not want to have to buy clothes for this cruise, as our budget is already tight. But I'm worried that nice khakis and a button down (him) and a nice dress (me) won't be good enough for formal night. What should we do? I don't have an issue with formal night, I think it's a lovely idea, I just don't think our clothes are very "formal". :confused:

Do your best and enjoy your cruise. I will wear Khakis and a button up shirt and not worry about what others freak out about. It isn't like you are wearing a bathing suit and flip flops.

Everyone has their own opinions and there are some folks that swear you should dress up and then there are others that feel you should be able to come almost naked. Khakis and button up shirt seems like a good compromise!

Don't let anyone bully you into buy clothes that you may not be able to afford or even want. That isn't what cruising is about.

Just my 2¢. Let the flames fly!

Hi Everyone, this is my first time posting on Cruise Critic and I'd really like some advice on a dilemma I'm having. My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon in 3 weeks on RCCL's Freedom of the Seas (7 days, Western Caribbean). We have both been on one cruise each before, but it's been years and neither of us can really remember details about them.

We plan to eat in the main dining room every night (except one which we'll spend at Chops) because we just think it's more special and higher quality. My stress is about the "formal nights". Basically all of the forums I've read have come across as "oh it's fine if you don't want to dress formal! You can just eat in the buffet". And that's not going to work for us. Neither of us owns any "formal wear". He does not have a suit, I don't have any fancy gowns or typical cocktail dresses. I really do not want to have to buy clothes for this cruise, as our budget is already tight. But I'm worried that nice khakis and a button down (him) and a nice dress (me) won't be good enough for formal night. What should we do? I don't have an issue with formal night, I think it's a lovely idea, I just don't think our clothes are very "formal". :confused:

Just off Grandeur of the Seas. 2 formal nights on our 10 day cruise. I saw 3 people in gowns. I wore dress pants and a blouse (girl) and I was with 11 family members. My dad worse dress pants, shoes, and a button down. My uncle whos nicest pair of clothing is probably new underwear ;), wore khaki pants and a button up short polo. We did not feel out of place at all. It was actually more of the norm it seemed.

Sounds wonderful, and I have to say I am sorry you are losing a moment's peace over this as I'm sure you have enough stress right now! You can jazz up your dress with sparkly costume jewelry or a fabulous statement necklace if you wish - you probably have some nice things already, just dig them out. ;) Your husband to be will be fine in what he has planned to wear.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and enjoy your cruise. :)

Do not buy special clothes for this cruise....period. IMHO, a little different than others, just look a little nicer on the "Formal Nights" and you will be more than happy, adequate and will enjoy your cruise even more.

PS I have no idea what RC has not dropped the "formal night" name from the dress code, as it has always been a suggested dress style.

You'll be okay. Folks here will express opinions anywhere from suggesting that you should stay away from the main dining room, if you don't dress as suggested to those who try to say that hardly anyone dresses up any more, and it doesn't matter what you wear.

Neither of those extremes is true. Lots of people enjoy the formal nights, and you will see suits, tuxes, cocktail dresses, and formal gowns. You'll also see some others dressed very similar to what you describe for yourself.

If you want to dine in the MDR, I would suggest saving whatever your "nicest" outfits are for the formal nights, but don't feel like you have to be totally formal or dine elsewhere. That is not necessary.

By the way, I also find that the Windjammer buffet can be very nice for dinner on occasion, so don't think of dining there as some sort of punishment. It's not necessary to skip the MDR, just because you don't have formal attire, but dinner time in the Windjammer tends to be very laid back and enjoyable (at least to me), and the food selection is pretty good, as well.

Enjoy the food and don't worry. You will see it all from tuxes to kilts to jeans for guys and formats to cocktail dresses, to pant suit outfits to sundresses for the ladies. It'll be ok. I wish I had believed that before my first cruise...I would have saved myself a lot of unnecessary concern. I know you'll have a blast!!

If you don't want to dress fancy, don't worry about it. If you want to get something dressy, there are good clearance sales everywhere. Are you having a formal or casual wedding? Like could you wear something from that?

If you think you will be stressed about it, Goodwill or Salvation Army or another thrift shop might have a $2 sport coat for your new husband. Retro or something. Plus the cost of cleaning.

I haven't been on RCCL yet but Caribbean cruises are usually much less formal. If you have a filmy scarf to put with a sundress, you will look great.

Moreover, you could wear the same thing for both formal nights because people don't remember, and if they do, you won't likely see them again anyway.

Best wishes and congratulation on your upcoming wedding. Enjoy your life together.

Formal wear is optional and not required, and quite honestly, it's hardly the majority in formal wear.

You do NOT have to go spend money on formal wear if you do not want to.

Just dress neat and clean and you will have no issues and see many dressed just like you.

Enjoy the meal and service you have paid for.

Don't stress about it.

It is refreshing to read responses to this thread. It wasn't too long ago that folks were told by some on these boards that if they didn't dress up they should not go to the MDR and should use room service or go to the buffet. I am glad that these bullies no longer try to force their standards of dress upon others. And for what it is worth, I wear a dress shirt, jacket, tie, dark slacks, and dress shoes on so-called formal nights, but it is my choice and not that of others. To everyone I would say, enjoy your cruise and enjoy your vacation and do not obsess about dress codes/dress suggestions.

I normally wear a gown because formal nights are the only times I get to get that dressed up. I love dressing up, but it isn't for everyone. When I see others not in formal wear, I don't think any less of them. Formal wear isn't required so don't feel like you have to dress up fancy. Like others have said just wear something nice from what you already have and enjoy your cruise.

Congrats on your up coming wedding.

It is refreshing to read responses to this thread. It wasn't too long ago that folks were told by some on these boards that if they didn't dress up they should not go to the MDR and should use room service or go to the buffet. I am glad that these bullies no longer try to force their standards of dress upon others. And for what it is worth, I wear a dress shirt, jacket, tie, dark slacks, and dress shoes on so-called formal nights, but it is my choice and not that of others. To everyone I would say, enjoy your cruise and enjoy your vacation and do not obsess about dress codes/dress suggestions.

As I was reading these responses, I couldn't help but think "boy I'm glad she didn't post this on the other message boards! She would have been skewered!"

I love Cruise Critic! :)

After working in a law office for so many years, when I retired I got rid of all my fancy clothes. DH was in construction all his working life so never had fancy clothes. On our last cruise, he wore black Dockers and a button short sleeve shirt, and I wore a simple summery-type skirt and blouse. We looked like about 95% of everyone else on formal night. Go and enjoy yourselves and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!