Opinion on taxis

rkkunk

We were going to take a taxi to the port from Dania Beach. The hotel was trying to tell us if we get stuck in traffic, the fare could be as much as $80.00.! Any thoughts. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Non issue....really..taxis are usually the fastest and cheapest way...depending on the port. For Miami or Ft. Laud...no worries! If you have to go more than 10 miles...a shuttle is usually the best bet. It really depends on your ports!

We were going to take a taxi to the port from Dania Beach. The hotel was trying to tell us if we get stuck in traffic, the fare could be as much as $80.00.! Any thoughts. Has anyone had this happen to them?

We've taken a taxi multiple times from Dania Beach, and the cost was about $25.

I didn't think that you could use Uber at Port Everglades. Some security issue.

We ended up just using the shuttle at the hotel. They took 3 ladies to the airport and then dropped us off at the ship. It is crazy crowded as the Coast Guard is doing an inspection. Almost noon and they are still not boarding.

While I can't speak for other hotels, we've used the shuttle service from the Fairfield Inn in Dania Beach to the pier many times with no issues. The cost was $7 or $8 per person (can't remember exactly), we signed up for a specific departure time and were on our way without a hitch and arrived at the pier in about 15 minutes.

Uber was actually suspended from FLL airport last year due to disputes and it is a contentious issue here in south Florida. They have resumed service, but the app is blocked from the airport (cannot contact within the airport zone) and they add a $4.50 airport fee and a security fee (@ $1.75)... Florida taxis are involved in several lawsuits down here, especially how it relates to pickups at port and airports. But it is still a great option, however they try to make it less uber convenient. From hotels, uber has no issues.

I stayed at the Spring Hill Suites in Dania Beach and they had a free airport shuttle and free shuttle to port (charge for return from port).

I decided to take an uber and it was $9 and some change. So pretty cheap and quick.

Please take an uber. Much cheaper, reliable and safer.

We love using Uber but I'm not sure it's any safer than a taxi.

Uber was actually suspended from FLL airport last year due to disputes and it is a contentious issue here in south Florida. They have resumed service, but the app is blocked from the airport (cannot contact within the airport zone) and they add a $4.50 airport fee and a security fee (@ $1.75)... Florida taxis are involved in several lawsuits down here, especially how it relates to pickups at port and airports. But it is still a great option, however they try to make it less uber convenient. From hotels, uber has no issues.

I suppose they could block access through the airport's WIFI but not from cell data access. I also don't think it is legal.

Yes, through their (FLL) wifi it was blocked... I know last fall they (uber) had pulled out of Broward then they came to an agreement... I guess all is ok now. I live down here so admittedly have not taken uber from the airport since last August... But from hotels and other venues it works great! But some don't trust/like uber (they said they feel weird getting into a strangers car) in which case I would say use shuttle (I too generally don't like the taxi drivers down here in Florida).

Can you get uber from or to the FLL airport? How do you get one from a small hotel?

To use Uber, you need to use their app on your smartphone. You can't just call them. The process is actually much more efficient than calling for a taxi, but if you are not tech savvy, then you may not feel comfortable using Uber. If you want to learn about Uber, everything you need is at uber.com.

With taxi's you don't know the total until you reach the destination. The meter will run if stuck in traffic, cabbie takes a longer route than necessary.

Uber you will know the price ahead of time.

Last time going from MIA to FLL area hotel was $80.00 last year.

We used uber from the airport and few weeks ago, along with 4-5 others we were with. It was no issue what so ever.

Were you able to call them? I don't have a smart phone. Just an old flip phone. I do have an iPad, and might be able to get the uber app on it, if I could use that at the airport.

When taking a taxi from FLL hotels to Port Everglades, do you continue to watch the meter tick up as you wait in line to get into the port dropoff area? We will be sailing out on the Harmony of the Seas which will involve 6000 passengers so I expect some wait to get to the dropoff spot.

+1 for Über. I will never take a taxi again. When every municipality across the globe is laboring to constrain Über, you know they have built a better mousetrap. The greased palms of corrupt politicians ends when Über comes to town. Hence all the road blocks for them.

No doubt in my mind that Über is safer. New cars vs. 20 year old beat up cop cars. AC that works and is used. Never have to stop for gas while on a fare. Drivers who bathe and get rest vs. well those who don't. Oh, and when your ride is over, you get to rate the driver. Too many bad ratings and they lose their job with Über.

Can you all tell that I am a fan of Über?