Would you take your 7 month old on a cruise

Lol. I wouldn't. I have two kids that traveled young but never as infants. Can't imagine why someone would want to do that to themselves and the child. They certainly won't be having a good time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think it depends on the child. It would have been ok for us with kid #1 and kid #3. I would have been a nervous wreck with kid #2 who was a huge climber and way faster than his parents!! Lol! And once kid #2 started crying he didn't stop plus he spit up constantly. Ugh.

It would be nice if grandma and grandpa could come along and spend time with the baby as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Viv0828

This past January we cruised with our 2 daughters, husbands both grand babies - 9 months and 15 months, and both sets of in laws. The babies had fruit waiting for them at dinner and split Mac and cheese and chicken nuggets just about every night. The oldest had milk in the carton and Mom took two extras when they left. The youngest was still on formula and breast milk. They never had a problem with food, something was always available that they could enjoy. They went to port with us in a body carrier and took naps on loungers in the shade. They daughters had ajorning rooms and could have one adult for both sleeping babies (that included grandparents as sitters too)

Everyone had a great time! The oldest had been to Germany the year before when she was 8 months, again no problems!

Bottom line, it's up to you.

My first cruise as an adult, my youngest turned 10 months onboard and his older sister was 21 months (getting close to 2).

it was by far the easiest and most relaxing of the many trips we took with them in those early years.

We were on what is a small ship by today's standards (Disney Wonder) and did not even take a stroller (the older one hated riding, and the little one was easy enough to carry onboard). My son was breastfed and never ate any babyfood other than rice or oat cereal--just adult foods cut small--so it was easy to feed him and we could relax, always be near the room. and have someone else cook and clean while we just enjoyed one another.

I guess I am another of the minority here who are surprised by all the NOs.

Edited by NHDisneylover

You know what - this is about asking everyone's opinion, and I had no problem reading your opinion, until you felt the need to attack others as your closing remarks.

That said, I don't think a single person said (nor implied) that pediatricians are the savior of all illnesses. Some, including myself, indicated that limited access to health care, when you're in the middle of the ocean, is one reason to be hesitant about bringing an infant along.

Glad things worked out for you, but I'm sure you recognize that Pedialyte is not the savior of all illnesses, either. And with an infant who can not verbally express what they're feeling, some people would prefer not to venture too far from the availability of full emergency care, even if, statistically, it is unlikely you'll need it. That, too, is a valid opinion.

Hi I didn't mean to "attack others" I was merely advising her not to get discouraged because the majority of the answers were shouty "NO's" with little to no reasoning. That's all. Really didn't mean to be rude. :D And pedialyte treats dehydration caused by nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The most common "problem" traveling internationally....

Edited by missholly24

We've been cruising with and without our kids for 20 years. The youngest was 6 months old (he's now 12) his first cruise and we were stuck at sea 2 extra days due to a hurricane . No worries. The dining room staff offered to start pureeing food if anyone ran out. I brought everything with us including our own pack and play. We had no issues. I over-packed everything so we were well stocked. All three kids love to travel and especially cruise.

I wouldn't. We are waiting until our daughter is 3. I roped the in-laws into looking after her this year while we go on the Allure. Next year, we are doing a big family trip for her "maiden voyage."

I'm not going to say don't do it- just that I won't do it. I wanted to wait until she was old enough to enjoy it.

Hi,

Me and my wife plan to take our daughter on a cruise this summer. She will be 7 months at the time we take the cruise.

I've gotten mixed reactions from friends and family. Do you guys think shes to young to go on a cruise? I'm not worried about the amount we have to pay for 3rd passenger. I'm more worried about safety and heath.

Thanks

Stan

I would be very careful in choosing both the ship and the itinerary. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the rules regarding the number of sea days. If there are more than 3 consecutive, then a child must be 12 months old on day of boarding. This is firm. Make very sure that you are comfortable with the facilities on board, look at the activities and consider what you'd be able to enjoy and what you might resent missing out on, and then make a decision that is comfortable for you. If baby can't swim, then you may not either, that type of thing.

There will be other passengers who frown upon you and there will be passengers and crew who make a lovely fuss of your daughter.

Do your research, and if the planning seems too stressful then I think you have your answer [emoji4]

I don't have kids, so I'm not sure if my opinion will mean much, but I would lean on the side of yes....my sisters have ALWAYS traveled w/ their kids, youngest being 5 months old at the time. He was the only baby in the family at that time and it went pretty well (from an outsider/Aunts prospective) He came with to dinner and often fell asleep while there, if he got cranky, one of his parents would leave and walk around with him in the stroller (we were a group then, they wouldn't leave one parent just sitting by themselves lol). The wait staff really caters to kids, most start talking about their own kids back at home and how much they miss them.

Fast forward a couple years and both my sisters have cruised w/ babies that were crawling....and both have said never again!! There's just not a lot of places on a ship that you would want you kid to crawl on a ship and that leaves a crabby kid. So in that aspect, I would imagine that very young like 7 months would be more ideal then a slightly older crawler.

Again, I don't have kids, so I look at my sisters like they're crazy but they take it in stride and try to relax as much as possible. While obviously kids are work, you also don't have the stress of real life to deal with like you do at home on a regular basis. So you will most definitely be back in your cabin WAY earlier then you probably would if it was just the 2 of you....it's going to force you to relax and not be cleaning/doing laundry/paying bills/etc. like you would do when your child is sleeping at home.

I also agree with trying to do a balcony. I know this was a saving grace for my sisters so that the parents could chat with a drink on the balcony without worrying about waking the kids. I'm sure an inside would be fine, but I could see the walls starting to close in after a while :p

Took our 10 month old on a 4 day with 1 sea day, then at 14 months took him on a 7 day.

Both went great.

I say if you are comfortable with it, go for it. there's no easier vacation with a baby. No schelpping; packing, unpacking a car. meal time whenever you want. when it is naptime the cabin is never more than 5 minutes away. etc. It really was a great vacation both times.

I haven't had a chance to read all the other responses yet.

I say yes. I have a three year old about to embark on his 8th cruise. We started him young. The younger they are, the easier they are to manage!! We've used the onboard nurseries many times and have been very happy with the care provided. Later tonight- when my little guy is in bed I will read other responses and add some more helpful comments.

Feel free to check out my reviews found in my signature starting with 2013. We've brought him along every time since then :)

I haven't had a chance to read all the other responses yet.

I say yes. I have a three year old about to embark on his 8th cruise. We started him young. The younger they are, the easier they are to manage!! We've used the onboard nurseries many times and have been very happy with the care provided. Later tonight- when my little guy is in bed I will read other responses and add some more helpful comments.

Feel free to check out my reviews found in my signature starting with 2013. We've brought him along every time since then :)

Your reviews were very helpful in my planning. Thanks! Like you, we live in Florida near the major cruise ports so we did not have to contend with the cost or aggravation of flying. It really was a very easy vacation with a baby.

easy_button.jpg

Your reviews were very helpful in my planning. Thanks! Like you, we live in Florida near the major cruise ports so we did not have to contend with the cost or aggravation of flying. It really was a very easy vacation with a baby.

Glad I could help. There is so little info out there about traveling with young kids I thought it would be nice to help others!

We have flown to 2 cruises with our son.

Once New England & Canada when he was 19 months.

Another time to a California Coastal at 2.5 years old.

All the others have been local, and it does make it easier packing wise :)

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

I am going to address some of the things brought up by others' posts.

Medical- Babies are not as fragile as everyone thinks. The ship doctor can treat most issues that a baby will encounter. I have friends in the medical profession and they have given me their assurance that any general doctor can help any aged person. I have always said that I am more afraid for elderly people as they are on various medications, have frailties, etc.

Parental Enjoyment- Based on some of the other responses I can tell that SOME of the other people do not have kids or don't know how to enjoy their own kids. We have had plenty of fun on cruises with our son. Between the nursery giving us a little "adult" time, to enjoying new experiences from a parent perspective, we've been flexible and made it fun!

IMG_0868_zpsade30423.jpg

Pool- I don't think I would WANT my child in the pool on the cruise ship. Sorry, not sanitary enough for the sensitive skin or other things. We've brought blow up tubs and my son LOVED it. We filled it with the pool-side shower water and he splashed away. It's nice because it doubled as a bathtub in the cabin too.

IMG_3694_zps3d77e8dd.jpg

Dining Room- We found the dining room to be amazing with our son. They paid more attention to him, than us, lol. They had fruit ready for him every day (once he was on solids) so he wouldn't sit at the table waiting for something to do.

IMG_5097_zps60e3444b.jpg

it is doable. This coming from someone who has done it!!

My son was on special hydrolyzed formula. We had to bring a week's worth of liquid formula on our cruise with us. We did it and we survived. I have always paid for the diapers to be delivered to our room. Here's package we got for $35 back in October on the Jewel of the Seas.

IMG_3163_zpsjknajztw.jpg

Please don't hesitate to ask me. I consider myself to be well versed in traveling with a kid. We've been on 3 different cruise lines with a kid so I know what ones are better than others.

Here's my parting picture!

IMG_3705_zps54836675.jpg

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

Yes, I would, and we did.

Our daughter was 5 months old when she took her first cruise.

Our oldest sons' first cruise was when he was 14 weeks old.

We waited until our twins were 2 years old before we cruised with them.

This is of course such a personal decision, but we did not cruise when our kids were babes. They stayed with Grandparents. We took them when they were around 6 or so. I love my kids to death, but I don't expect fellow cruise passengers to feel the same and I didn't want to spend a lot of time in the cabin for naps or the possibility of melt downs. And there is no way I would ever bring a stroller on a cruise ship. But I have no issue with those who chose to cruise with babes. It just wasn't something I felt comfortable doing.

Yes, I would, and we did.

Our daughter was 5 months old when she took her first cruise.

Our oldest sons' first cruise was when he was 14 weeks old.

We waited until our twins were 2 years old before we cruised with them.

Well, that wouldn't even be allowed on Royal Caribbean, as they require infants to be at least 6 months old at sailing time.

I just took my 7 month old and 2 year old on a cruise this February. It was my first cruise. I started regretting the decision as soon as we booked. It was amazing!! I still can't get over how smoothly everything went. I think it's the most relaxing a vacation can get traveling with kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I say do it! We just got back from a 9 day vacation to Hawaii (from the east coast) with our 8 month old. Was it a different type of vacation? Absolutely, but we still loved it and she did really well and had a great time. It's not too bad with only one child.

Since you asked, I say no because of the young age of the child. They aren't going to have any memories of this. Also, because of technology, you can easily stay in touch daily with the grandparents or nanny taking care of your baby back home.

That being said, I'm sure you would make the right decision for you! :)

Well, that wouldn't even be allowed on Royal Caribbean, as they require infants to be at least 6 months old at sailing time.

That's a relatively new requirement in the last few years.

I will say Yes. It does depend on you and your kids though. Will you be running around until 2am dancing in the disco, no. (Well, at least not together, one could go). Will you have fun, and get to relax, absolutely. If your kid is super fussy, cries a lot, does not handle changes in things. Then you might want to think it over. I think a lot of that happens when you make rigid schedules to start with. Our daughter never kept to a strict schedule, and was not a big crier, so we never worried about it.

We've taken our daughter on many cruises, through all ages. Her first was at 3 months (Disney allows kids at 3 months). To be honest, it's easier when they're babies then when they're toddlers. So many people say they wait until they're like 3, but it was easier as an infant. She mostly slept, you could take her around in a small stroller or the like. You can still go to things, just realize if they cry to take them out. Really that doesn't change for a long time anyway. I've seen 8yo with temper tantrums that get taken out.

I also don't get the "they won't remember it". Well guess what, YOU will remember it. YOU will have great memories of a vacation with your infant, of getting to do things with them at that age, that others I guess never will have and missed.

As for land vacations, you still need diapers, food, naps, etc. That doesn't change because you're at a hotel instead of on a cruise ship. It's actually easier on a cruise ship, as you're almost always close to your cabin. If she got tired, we could just take a 2-minute walk and be in our room and let her take a nap. Yes, you'll need to organize and pack extras. If you need to fly, I recommend going in the day before (which you should do anyway) and just going to a supermarket and stocking up there. Pretty easy to do.

So, unless you plan to never go away with your kids, go for it. It looks like you've cruised fairly frequently recently. So think of it as new experiences, but one you get to share with your child, and get the memories of the time with them.