Would you take your 7 month old on a cruise

I was one of those who said no, but it was really neither of the reasons you put forward. I just don't personally think that being somewhere in the middle of the ocean is the right choice with an infant. We had a "good" baby, too, but babies are unpredictable, and they can't really explain to you how their feeling. For that reason, and the relatively limited medical facilities on a ship, I would not have taken our son, when he was an infant.

Of course, more than likely, things would have been fine, but I prefered the security of knowing that we could get to our pediatric clinic or a hospital easily, if anything came up.

Only took our son to the emergency room once, while he was little, but it was because he was fine one moment and barely able to breathe the next. We thought he was choking on something, but turned out to be croup. Still amazed to this day at how sudden the onset of symptoms was, but if that happened while at sea, we would have really been (even more) panicked. But, like I said, that only happened once, so if we had taken him on a cruise, chances are nothing like that would have happened at the same time we were traveling. So I'm not condemning the idea of someone taking an infant on a cruise - just saying why it was not for us.

Croup would have been very easily managed at sea. The medical facility is equipped for most minor to moderate problems. Breathing treatments and steroids and you have a new easy breathing baby. I'm both a mom of a son who gets croup yearly (its very very scary) and a nurse.

Edited by missholly24

• 3 months later...
Sure..if you don't mind annoying people

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In all honesty, I find drunk obnoxious adults significantly more annoying than crying baby. At least infants can be easily carried away. Not so much with a drunk.

If you don't want to be annoyed at all. Just stay home.

Croup would have been very easily managed at sea. The medical facility is equipped for most minor to moderate problems. Breathing treatments and steroids and you have a new easy breathing baby. I'm both a mom of a son who gets croup yearly (its very very scary) and a nurse.

There are different kinds of croup. My son had the instant onset in the afternoon type where he actually stop breathing. Did it at home, thought "that didn't just happen" called dr office took him in, did it at peds office while Dr was examining him. Did it in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. He was getting treatments the whole time from dr office to days later in the hospital. Generally croup is minor but sometimes it is not. We almost lost the little guy in my sig picture that day.

The issue is they will most likely have pediatric sized equipment, for some things but not neonatal sized or RXd

Hi,

Me and my wife plan to take our daughter on a cruise this summer. She will be 7 months at the time we take the cruise.

I've gotten mixed reactions from friends and family. Do you guys think shes to young to go on a cruise? I'm not worried about the amount we have to pay for 3rd passenger. I'm more worried about safety and heath.

Thanks

Stan

Safety and health issues aside...

What about your poor neighbors who have to endure a child's crying in the middle of the night?

Nooooo, don't say that...don't you know their kids are adorable?

7 month olds are super easy to deal with. They aren't toddlers or young kids that can be a handful. Most 7 month olds are not even crawling or babbling. They tend to sleep through a lot. Now, if you just hate the sight of kids that's a different story, and more your problem than anyone elses, but a 7 month old won't be an issue for many.

7 month olds are super easy to deal with. They aren't toddlers or young kids that can be a handful. Most 7 month olds are not even crawling or babbling. They tend to sleep through a lot. Now, if you just hate the sight of kids that's a different story, and more your problem than anyone elses, but a 7 month old won't be an issue for many.

Very good response! So many variables come in to play here. With a little research you can increase the potential for a good cruise with a baby.

I was quite surprised by so many against the idea. As this poster said most babies at 7 months are not even moving about yet. I think every baby is different and have seen MANY young babies on cruises over the 13 I've been on. Most have been just fine and usually are sleeping or ina stroller not bothering anyone. Have I seen some cry of course, but I have been around many more loud mouthed either drunk or just plain rude people that have disrupted my cruise.

The key is to know going in your cruise style will need to be altered a little bit. Yes you may need to leave the dining room if your baby has a meltdown by chance(same for the showroom). Yes you will need to be back in the cabin earlier and at different times during the day for naps. Yes your "sun" time will be changed etc etc. You may need to rotate with whoever is traveling with you. But that doesn't mean you won't have a fun relaxing cruise. And ultimately that is the key. If making these changes is fine with you, by all means book the cruise.

A few tips that others already stated: Check for ships that have nurseries. Take a few nights to pay the low hourly fee and go to dinner on your own or possibly a show. Bring a mini medical kit with plenty of the baby essentials(ibuporfen, tylenol, diaper rash cream,gas drops, baby orajel, etc). Then have another bag with all the other items you need. Diapers and wipes pack an extra few days worth. Baby wash/shampoo etc

Check the Family cruising section of this board and you'll see MANY who cruise with babies and have a great time.

Personally, I don't see a big problem with doing it and my sister did it with her 11 month old and had a great cruise. Take all these responses lightly(even mine lol). Just be sure to research before you go.

I say no. We did not take a vacation away from home until our oldest was 18 months. We flew to Florida to stay at my parents second home there. He was a mess on the plane - the bottle did not help his ears one bit and he screamed bloody murder. He didn't sleep well and ended up in the bed with us every night. We were exhausted. I was never so glad to get home.

When he was 3 we left him and the dog with his grandparents for a week and went on a cruise by ourselves. I was pregnant and it was the last chance to get away alone. He had a great time and when we arrived to pick him up he didn't want to come home, but the dog hopped in the car!. My Mom said she would feed and bathe him and bring him home at bedtime. He got a shock when he woke up the next morning in his own room and wanted to go back to Grandmas.

After the youngest was born we took a hiatus from vacations. When the youngest was 3 it was back to Florida to stay at my parents and this time everyone had a great time. The kids loved the beach and we took them to Sea World and Disney World. From then on every year we took a cruise or foreign trip by ourselves and a second vacation with the kids. The kids developed a really close bond with their grandparents and we were able to keep our relationship healthy as a couple and as a family.

The other thing not mentioned is that if you have a crying baby in the cabin next door, I will be an unhappy camper. Please, if you do take your baby, think about others and take the baby up on deck or to an unoccupied venue when they are crying and can't be consoled. Your neighbors will appreciate it.

. He was a mess on the plane - the bottle did not help his ears one bit and he screamed bloody murder. He didn't sleep well and ended up in the bed with us every night. We were exhausted. I was never so glad to get home.

The other thing not mentioned is that if you have a crying baby in the cabin next door, I will be an unhappy camper. Please, if you do take your baby, think about others and take the baby up on deck or to an unoccupied venue when they are crying and can't be consoled. Your neighbors will appreciate it.

Delightful

Very good response! So many variables come in to play here. With a little research you can increase the potential for a good cruise with a baby.

I was quite surprised by so many against the idea. As this poster said most babies at 7 months are not even moving about yet. I think every baby is different and have seen MANY young babies on cruises over the 13 I've been on. Most have been just fine and usually are sleeping or ina stroller not bothering anyone. Have I seen some cry of course, but I have been around many more loud mouthed either drunk or just plain rude people that have disrupted my cruise.

The key is to know going in your cruise style will need to be altered a little bit. Yes you may need to leave the dining room if your baby has a meltdown by chance(same for the showroom). Yes you will need to be back in the cabin earlier and at different times during the day for naps. Yes your "sun" time will be changed etc etc. You may need to rotate with whoever is traveling with you. But that doesn't mean you won't have a fun relaxing cruise. And ultimately that is the key. If making these changes is fine with you, by all means book the cruise.

A few tips that others already stated: Check for ships that have nurseries. Take a few nights to pay the low hourly fee and go to dinner on your own or possibly a show. Bring a mini medical kit with plenty of the baby essentials(ibuporfen, tylenol, diaper rash cream,gas drops, baby orajel, etc). Then have another bag with all the other items you need. Diapers and wipes pack an extra few days worth. Baby wash/shampoo etc

Check the Family cruising section of this board and you'll see MANY who cruise with babies and have a great time.

Personally, I don't see a big problem with doing it and my sister did it with her 11 month old and had a great cruise. Take all these responses lightly(even mine lol). Just be sure to research before you go.

We took my kids to Disney when they were 4.5 years old and 8 months old. I joke that in a lot of ways that was our easiest trip. The baby wasn't crawling yet and was a very easy baby and very content to nap in her stroller. We then didn't go back until they were 7 and 3, which was a good trip. Personally I would take a baby on a cruise or big trip before a toddler. We just got back from Disney last week, our kids are 12 and 8, and boy am I glad we never took a toddler.

We waited until our kids were older to do a cruise and they could both enjoy the kids club and staying out late. They were 10 and 6 and then went this past February and we are going again in December. I love that they can stay out late, and even sleep in a little.

Hi,

Me and my wife plan to take our daughter on a cruise this summer. She will be 7 months at the time we take the cruise.

I've gotten mixed reactions from friends and family. Do you guys think shes to young to go on a cruise? I'm not worried about the amount we have to pay for 3rd passenger. I'm more worried about safety and heath.

Thanks

Stan

We took our family in December, our grandson was 17 months. THAT was too young in my opinion. He didn't really care for all the people, and constant "going" of his parents. Dinner was too late, early sitting... If we had to do it over, NO he would have stayed home....

Edited by TigerLady

I say no. We did not take a vacation away from home until our oldest was 18 months. We flew to Florida to stay at my parents second home there. He was a mess on the plane - the bottle did not help his ears one bit and he screamed bloody murder. He didn't sleep well and ended up in the bed with us every night. We were exhausted. I was never so glad to get home.

Every kid is different. Just flew for the first time with our baby. He was 17 months old on his first flight from FL to Maryland. Not ONE PEEP. Looked out the window, went to sleep right after take off both flights, was up for about the last 30 minutes of each flight and just played with his books. Not a sound. Incredible. I was expecting the worst.

Each kid travels different.

Depends on how much alone time you want with your wife and how much you want to do on your cruise. I would not take a child younger than 12. You will spend all your time taking care of the baby and not enjoying the cruise. What about excursions, shows, etc. You will not be able to do any of the late night stuff. I don't know if your ship has a baby sitting service for babies, but you won't want to leave him there for hours on end. That means you can't do a lot of things you may want to do.

In my opinion, a cruise is not good for young children or babies. And think about the dining rooms...does your baby cry a lot, will it disturb other diners?