Cuba ports now open for business - Thoughts?

So after over 50 years U.S. cruise ships are sailing to Cuba!

I think it is very exciting because it opens up several new ports in the greater Antillies and allows for peaceful cultural exchange.

I know the first US cruise was by that "other" cruise line but this is a topic that NCL loyalists must have opinions on? Please share your thoughts on this historic event and the future opportunities to party Havana style!

Thanks -

I think it is a great opportunity, I would love to see the island before it gets commercialized. Give it 10 years and it will be just like every other port, a Margaritaville, Senior Frogs, and Hard Rock. I do believe that some protections need to be in place for the citizens thou, but knowing the countries history I doubt that will happen.

It's not like people visiting are the first non-Cubans to visit in years. I think it would be interesting, but wouldn't book a cruise for the sole reason of having a port stop there. I definitely wouldn't be interested in jumping through the hoops these fathom folks are going through.

I'll wait until the Castro brothers are dead before I go. And I hope to see a revitalized Cuba, with a people prospering and able to get niceties like cars, uncensored internet service and the same health care the elites get (that the Hollywood stars see and believe is available to everyone). I don't find poverty and suffering "quaint" and "unspoiled". I find it a crime against humanity.

I know the hope is that engagement will speed up the process of abandoning a century old failed political philosophy, but that only works when the repressive government itself is looking to change (read: China). The leadership in Cuba has no intention of freeing political prisoners, allowing more economic freedom, or providing basic human rights to their people.

Hopefully, with access to the international market, Cuba will generate increased revenues that will provide adequate services and necessities that will improve the lives of the Cuban people.

I agree that to

fully utilize markets Cuba needs to reduce the oppressive policies of their government just as China did.

I visited China and had a wonderful time and the government there is still extremely oppressive. I just wanted to complete a few items on the bucket list rather than waiting for complete political reform which may never happen.

i'll wait until the castro brothers are dead before i go. And i hope to see a revitalized cuba, with a people prospering and able to get niceties like cars, uncensored internet service and the same health care the elites get (that the hollywood stars see and believe is available to everyone). I don't find poverty and suffering "quaint" and "unspoiled". I find it a crime against humanity.

I know the hope is that engagement will speed up the process of abandoning a century old failed political philosophy, but that only works when the repressive government itself is looking to change (read: China). The leadership in cuba has no intention of freeing political prisoners, allowing more economic freedom, or providing basic human rights to their people.

Like :D

Edited by Tarheel_Cruiser

Gotta realize the 700 pax cruise was for humanitarian purposes, people paying for a chance to do charity work in Cuba. I use cruises for vacation, relaxation, not to pay for a chance to change the world. Hope the Carnival people enjoyed their cruise, I'll be waiting for real cruises, could have some port intensive Escapes instead of having to sail around Cuba.

Hopefully, with access to the international market, Cuba will generate increased revenues that will provide adequate services and necessities that will improve the lives of the Cuban people.

I agree that to

fully utilize markets Cuba needs to reduce the oppressive policies of their government just as China did.

I visited China and had a wonderful time and the government there is still extremely oppressive. I just wanted to complete a few items on the bucket list rather than waiting for complete political reform which may never happen.

I don't care how much revenue they generate, they are not going to share it with the people and the country is going to remain in poverty.

Now, would I visit if it were at were a stop, yes, I love seeing new ports, but I doubt I would give them a penny of my money.

Gotta realize the 700 pax cruise was for humanitarian purposes, people paying for a chance to do charity work in Cuba. I use cruises for vacation, relaxation, not to pay for a chance to change the world.
Gotta realize that is not correct. fathom's Dominican cruises offer the option of doing humanitarian work, but the program for Cuba is cultural and educational, not humanitarian. They won't let you spend the whole time in port relaxing on the beach enjoying rum and cigars, but it's not about doing volunteer work to change the world.

A lot of press reports about fathom get this wrong and say that all of their cruises are for humanitarian purposes, but you can check out their website for the real info.

i'll wait until the castro brothers are dead before i go. And i hope to see a revitalized cuba, with a people prospering and able to get niceties like cars, uncensored internet service and the same health care the elites get (that the hollywood stars see and believe is available to everyone). I don't find poverty and suffering "quaint" and "unspoiled". I find it a crime against humanity.

I know the hope is that engagement will speed up the process of abandoning a century old failed political philosophy, but that only works when the repressive government itself is looking to change (read: China). The leadership in cuba has no intention of freeing political prisoners, allowing more economic freedom, or providing basic human rights to their people.

While U.S. tourism most certainly would be a boon for the Cuban economy it is hardly like they are tourist free. Annually, the visitor count for Cuba is over 3,000,000 with the majority of those folks being Canadian.

Their government is the reason for the rampant poverty. I personally, have no desire to go there under the current regime.

While U.S. tourism most certainly would be a boon for the Cuban economy it is hardly like they are tourist free. Annually, the visitor count for Cuba is over 3,000,000 with the majority of those folks being Canadian.

Their government is the reason for the rampant poverty. I personally, have no desire to go there under the current regime.

Well said!

The Castro monarchy sucks. I totally get that. But I wonder how many people who say they won't go to Cuba to prop up the Castros would travel to other countries that are no less repressive (China, Russia, Turkey, Muslim countries where women are second class citizens and public executions are held for laughs, 2/3 of Africa etc etc.)

I choose to go anyway and see the world rather to think I can save it.

The Castro monarchy sucks. I totally get that. But I wonder how many people who say they won't go to Cuba to prop up the Castros would travel to other countries that are no less repressive (China, Russia, Turkey, Muslim countries where women are second class citizens and public executions are held for laughs, 2/3 of Africa etc etc.)

Having traveled to communist Russia circa 1988 when the bread lines and kgb black cars were plentiful....I agree....I travel to see the world and I don't kid myself about being able to save it but I will admit that seeing what I saw in 1988 Russia as well as 1978 Egypt and 1976 turkey and 1977 Morocco and 1988 Columbia and 1980 Venezuela one thing I know is that I'm a better person for it and know when I'm being sold a bill of goods.

Having studied political science in college however it makes me sad to think that so few people these days actually understand political "isms" and have never seen them in action nor understand the reality of those "isms"

Come to think of it maybe travel to Cuba should be encouraged so we can see the result of certain "isms"

Once you have seen them in action you never forget it and you know to never drink the kool aid

Edited by luvtheships

I doubt anyone thinks they can save it, they just don't want to support it.

Good point, but China, Russia and Turkey have a lot of great things to see as well. China and Russia are far from being free countries, but they are no longer Communist police states.

I visited Hungary, Czechoslovakia, East Germany and Poland during the 1980s before the collapse of the Warsaw Pact and Soviet Union. What stood out to me then was how pathetic those countries were in prosperity to the West. The autobahn from Bavaria into Dresden still had one of its bridges unprepared since it was bombed out in WWII and we couldn't drive more than 30 MPH on that highway due to the potholes and road surface. In many places like Dresden, Warsaw, Pilsen and more you could see buildings that had not been repaired or rebuilt since WWII. It was an experience to buy anything in a store in the old East. First, you waited in line to look at the display case and ask for a number for the item you wanted. Second, you waited in line to pay for your item, Third, you waited in line to pick up the item. This process took anywhere from 30-45 minutes when in a store in Western Europe it would take no more than 5 minutes.

My sense is that Cuba is mostly a snapshot in history demonstrating the failure of the Communist system. The modern places will be those built to attract tourists that pay in hard currency and not the Cuban people. If you want to see that, go.

When I visit Russia, I recall trying to buy lunch in the hotel "snack bar" located on the 8 th floor of the hotel I believe...

We pointed to the stuff in the window. It was me and my mother and we were good with just a small platter of pickings but what they gave us was ridiculous..

So we point at olives cheeses crackers sausages and the like and what we get back is a plate with exactly

2 olives

2 crackers

2 slices of dried sausage

2 small squares of cheese

They would not or could not give us more. The plate was pitiful but memorable

The 8 th floor snack bar became a fav though for us for the ambiance and local experience and for the full cup of tea the served. Lol

We were of course under tight scrutiny and observation during our group tour but we enjoyed it tremendously. We even waved and said good morning to the hallway matron who tracked our every move

I have to wonder if our room was bugged as well

A memorable overnight train from Moscow to the then named Lenigrad was extremely uncomfortable sleeping on a metal cot in the cabin. Oh breakfast was included. 2 glasses of tea served in glasses at 7 am lol

Good thing I knew to bring my toilet paper from home because the hallway bathroom on the train didn't provide any of course.

Despite all this it ranks up there with Egypt and Tahiti as my all time best travel experience ( our 2012 3 week Med and pre and post cruise jaunt with the kids is currently top of my list as the best of course)

I was a college prof in 1988 when I did Russia and I know for a fact that my students, who were quite concerned about my trip, got the best education ever that year in the Political Geography class I was teaching that semester

Well it was actually a travel and tourism fun elective the school wanted to offer as I was a business prof but with my vast travel experience I was well qualified

I had a student following and many of them registered for the class and it was apparent by the first class that we were bypassing the travel and tourism angle and going the political cultural and sociological demographic angle of the countries of the world!!!!

What a great experience we all had in this class!!!

Edited by luvtheships

How about Viet Nam, where over 1 million people were killed during the time that war raged.

I'll probably never visit there but if given the opportunity I would but only because of its great impact on American history and my childhood in the 60's and 70's

In other words for my knowledge and experience and to see the place that I heard and watched each night at dinner so if I did go I would need to completely disregard Vietnam politics and policy...then and now

Fortunately I have no urge to visit Cuba. I know enough about the jfk/Cuba situations and vividly recall the hijackings to Havana in the 70's

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6