Live from the summit

Grandma Rambo

How is customs in the terminal on a Sunday. If we got off with the first "normal" procedure at about 8, claimed the bags then went through customs would it jammed already with all the express off?

Earlier is better and last year when we got off Summit on Sunday, September 20 there were only 3 customs agents working. We got off at 8:15 am and we were okay, but I'm sure it must have started to back up after that.

Earlier is better and last year when we got off Summit on Sunday, September 20 there were only 3 customs agents working. We got off at 8:15 am and we were okay, but I'm sure it must have started to back up after that.

Great thanks. We will aim for getting the first departure available without having to haul our own luggage as it is difficult for me to carry since my frozen shoulder, I don't have full strength so one side is useless in carrying anything of substantial weight. Should this be something we request when we get on or ok to wait for the disembark form they send out?

Great thanks. We will aim for getting the first departure available without having to haul our own luggage as it is difficult for me to carry since my frozen shoulder, I don't have full strength so one side is useless in carrying anything of substantial weight. Should this be something we request when we get on or ok to wait for the disembark form they send out?

They leave the disembarkation form in your stateroom pretty early on in the cruise so there's no need to request beforehand.

I hear you. I had rotator cuff surgery last year. That and the fact that DH and I always overpack....well....there's no hope of us every carrying off our luggage.

Edited by CruisingChick

You are sure making a meal out of this. :eek: There were 7-8 customs/immigration agents when we cruised June of last year. Just plan to get off at 8am, pick up your luggage, go thru immigration, and sit outside for 1/2 hour waiting for your transport. That should give you peace of mind. :rolleyes:

Last September when we were disembarking from a 14 night NE/CA cruise, they started with only two Customs agents so just before we got off the ship, (we were in line close to the gangway) they stopped all disembarking for half an hour until they caught up.

They finally got two more agents by the time we got to them. I can't say that is the norm or if it was a one off. It's totally dependent upon how the Customs Agents feel about working or not and that is not controlled by X.

CruisingChick, thank you for the advice and understanding.

Wine-0, yes I fully admit that I am OCD about plans. Plus never being on X before I am just making sure they are not different since they are different in other things. For example not being able to drop our carryons in the room since they lock the hallway and access to the rooms until 1. That is way new to us as Princess allows us to drop stuff in the room with the caveat that it may not be completed to our specifications. Also never sailing out of Cape Liberty before and the fact that I screwed up and booked an early flight, when I normally adhere to the lines flight times as I know things can go wrong and I like to have a cushion of time so as not to ruin my lovely experience on the ship with the feeling of panic and worry to make it to a flight. Which I was feeling when I found out I goofed...so I am trying to calm my OCD mind that barring things way out of the norm, we will be ok...I know I am not the only cruiser like this and that is what these boards are for...right...to help others.

Wine-0, yes I fully admit that I am OCD about plans. Plus never being on X before I am just making sure they are not different since they are different in other things. For example not being able to drop our carryons in the room since they lock the hallway and access to the rooms until 1. That is way new to us as Princess allows us to drop stuff in the room with the caveat that it may not be completed to our specifications. Also never sailing out of Cape Liberty before and the fact that I screwed up and booked an early flight, when I normally adhere to the lines flight times as I know things can go wrong and I like to have a cushion of time so as not to ruin my lovely experience on the ship with the feeling of panic and worry to make it to a flight. Which I was feeling when I found out I goofed...so I am trying to calm my OCD mind that barring things way out of the norm, we will be ok...I know I am not the only cruiser like this and that is what these boards are for...right...to help others.

I don't think you goofed. A 12:15 flight is a good time. That was the logical flight to book. Your issue is that you are stuck on the idea to taking some shuttle. A taxi would be the best way to get to EWR. If you miss that shuttle you will still make the flight by taking a taxi.

Charles, hmm so you think I shouldn't do the hotel shuttle and just take a taxi? When we got off in Florida the taxi line was outrageous and then once in the taxi it had to sit and wait in the line to be let out with the meter running...have you used a taxi in Cape Liberty...I think I read on another thread that it is roughly $50-60 for the taxi from Cape Liberty to EWR...does that sound about right? Believe they said that included tolls as well..

You are welcome. It's nice to be prepared. I am trying to remember how I ever went anywhere before the internet, Cruise Critic and all those other travel websites. Sometimes it's too much and it's information overload.

You will be fine.

Charles, hmm so you think I shouldn't do the hotel shuttle and just take a taxi? When we got off in Florida the taxi line was outrageous and then once in the taxi it had to sit and wait in the line to be let out with the meter running...have you used a taxi in Cape Liberty...I think I read on another thread that it is roughly $50-60 for the taxi from Cape Liberty to EWR...does that sound about right? Believe they said that included tolls as well..

Since you have the shuttle I think you should take it. I think first non express debark is 8:00. Get in that group. I would guess you will be thru customs waiting for the shuttle about 8:30. If there is some snafu then you have the taxi option as a backup. Several years ago when I was looking into this. I take the train so I could have got off at EWR Rail station or Newark. The fares from both would have been $45 then. It might have gone up. So I went to Newark as the EWR station would have added the Airtran. Tolls were about $2. Make sure to use the taxi dispathcher if you have to take a taxi. I think the rate is capped. Get that from the dispatcher.

Edited by Charles4515

CruisingChick...yes sometimes google is not your friend with all the wealth of info that pops up and you are like ooh I like that and that and want to see and do this and that. haha

Charles, thank you...I will do that, and then ask at the hotel if they offer refunds if we miss their shuttle.

I am feeling much better now thank you kind CC folks for all your expertise and help. :D

Oh bummer. Thanks i was also hoping to get some shopping in later too. Trying to maximize all the time and we have lots planned there. ..guess we will have to go back another time to see all we want to do...what a shame another cruise. .lol

I think it would give her a chuckle. Besides maintenance on one side or another it also depends on the winds and tides.

If Captains Jacks floating bar is docked there this year, that place is very noisy. Last year Breakaway passengers were complaining about the noise from that bar.

If they're at the pier the way they are today BA bow nuzzling Summit's aft, it shouldn't be too bad. Most of the outdoor activity/parties on the BA take place in the aft at the adult section. I haven't experienced Captain Jacks yet....

I was reading that the pirate bar ship does a fire show of some sort at night...wonder if that is something that can be seen from on board the summit top decks...if we have time will wander out onto the deck to see if we can see it...supposed to take place the 2nd night in port it says 8-10pm...

If they're at the pier the way they are today BA bow nuzzling Summit's aft, it shouldn't be too bad. Most of the outdoor activity/parties on the BA take place in the aft at the adult section. I haven't experienced Captain Jacks yet....

Bummer if our cruise docks this way. I was hoping our AQ would have a non Breakaway view from the deck 11 aft balcony.

Bummer if our cruise docks this way. I was hoping our AQ would have a non Breakaway view from the deck 11 aft balcony.

I agree but it could be worse - it could the Summit's aft facing the Breakaway's aft. That area on that ship is SUPER noisy!! At least "our" ship is facing the quieter Breakaway bridge and their forward-facing cabins.

I agree Steve! I took a look at the Bermuda webcam yesterday and saw the aft of the Summit facing the bow of the BA! We finally decided to splurge on the PH for our next trip and I would hate to be out on my balcony looking up at that massive ship!

I'll be checking weekly now to see which way they dock!

I agree Steve! I took a look at the Bermuda webcam yesterday and saw the aft of the Summit facing the bow of the BA! We finally decided to splurge on the PH for our next trip and I would hate to be out on my balcony looking up at that massive ship!

Not to mention you won't be able to wear your birthday suit on the balcony like my next door cabin neighbor on the Constellation did. She booked a B2B including the Bare Necessities Charter. Her suit wasn't wrinkled. :eek::D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Oh bummer. Thanks i was also hoping to get some shopping in later too. Trying to maximize all the time and we have lots planned there. ..guess we will have to go back another time to see all we want to do...what a shame another cruise. .lol

For what it's worth here's what I found out for Clocktower Mall:

April - December (usual hours): All days, 9am - 6pm. Closed on Christmas Day and Good Friday. From May until September, the mall is also open for late night shopping occasionally depending on dockyard activities.

For what it's worth here's what I found out for Clocktower Mall:

April - December (usual hours): All days, 9am - 6pm. Closed on Christmas Day and Good Friday. From May until September, the mall is also open for late night shopping occasionally depending on dockyard activities.

OOOH thanks maybe that means it will be open later than 6 on days the ships are in ports. I mean why miss out on everyone's cash right. I will make sure to check and see if they have later times posted when we go, if not I guess I will have to cut my beach time short and shop..life is hard right...lol:D