All Things Avalon

FuelScience

I'm back after a break...life got in the way of cruising for a while.  We really enjoyed our Mekong cruise a few years ago.  I just booked Aug 2024 The Danube from Germany to the Black Sea with 2 Nights in Prague & 2 Nights in Transylvania.  Going to add a few days in Prague so I can show her around before we embark.  I got her to watch "Operation Daybreak" while she was here visiting recently so I have her excited about seeing some of t

My travel companion on this trip will be my daughter.  I'm taking her to celebrate her graduating from nursing school.  I've so excited and wish it was sooner but since I'm planning on making this a "royal" experience for her I need time to save and pay for everything.  Going to add a few days in Prague so I can show her around before we embark.  I got her to watch "Operation Daybreak" while she was here visiting recently so I have her excited about seeing some of the historic places there.

Looking forward to researching and planning. 

If anyone has done this cruise I would love to hear from you.

We did that cruise last fall, including the 2 extensions.  It was wonderful.  I didn't do a full trip report but there is a list of highlights in this thread.  I'm happy to answer any questions you had.  You will love it!

Edited by ljandgb

The Deluxe rooms are smaller and not much view. If you are booking down there, try to get a cabin as far forward as possible.  

Keep in mind that the Deluxe cabins, at 179 sq feet, are still larger than Viking’s Veranda cabins, which are only 170, and especially larger than Viking’s French balcony cabins (139 sq feet.) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kenster said:

The Deluxe rooms are smaller and not much view. If you are booking down there, try to get a cabin as far forward as possible.  

Keep in mind that the Deluxe cabins, at 179 sq feet, are still larger than Viking’s Veranda cabins, which are only 170, and especially larger than Viking’s French balcony cabins (139 sq feet.) 

Awesome, thanks!

8 hours ago, CruiseMark said:

How bad are the “Deluxe rooms” (the cheap ones below the water line) on the Panorama?  Some of the videos mention noise, shaking, etc.  I’d much prefer a Panorama Suite, but may have to go the cheap route.

We are booked those again! We were close to midship rather than forward as some suggest and was not affected by noise, shaking, etc. In fact, it was just a few steps to the espresso machine for early morning coffee. That Danube cruise was in November so enjoying the outdoor spaces was not an option, but nevertheless we were able to spend time in the lounge when not docked. Our next cruise will be in August on the Rhine and we hope to spend our cruising time on deck!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CruiseMark said:

How bad are the “Deluxe rooms” (the cheap ones below the water line) on the Panorama?  Some of the videos mention noise, shaking, etc.  I’d much prefer a Panorama Suite, but may have to go the cheap route.

We were in an "aquarium" room the first time we went on Avalon.  It was small, but quite adequate and you get more light than you would think from the windows. If you are tall enough you can look out.

The second time we sailed in a panorama room. 

I will tell you we honestly did not think it was that much better!  (certainly not for the $1000 or more price difference) Half the time you are tied up to another ship and can't see anything anyway.  

We will not pay the extra again, and will stay down below.  We only slept and showered in the room - all the rest of the time is on excursions or dining or in the lounge or decks. 

You will enjoy whichever you choose!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hmcrn said:

We were in an "aquarium" room the first time we went on Avalon.  It was small, but quite adequate and you get more light than you would think from the windows. If you are tall enough you can look out.

I will tell you we honestly did not think it was that much better!  (certainly not for the $1000 or more price difference) Half the time you are tied up to another ship and can't see anything anyway.  

We will not pay the extra again, and will stay down below.  We only slept and showered in the room - all the rest of the time is on excursions or dining or in the lounge or decks. 

Good friend who turned me on to Avalon in the first place has cruised in every category offered on several Avalon ships.  She feels the same, just doesn't matter to them, so save your money for things that are important to you.  We tend to spend a great deal of time in our cabin on a cruise, we like to 'lay around' reading or plunking on our computers, gazing out the window or even napping.  So I'm super-careful to pick cabins that are spacious and comfortable enough for two people.  

6 hours ago, hmcrn said:

That is my experience as well.  The lower rooms are more than adequate - especially if you are travelling with other people - as you tend to spend more time in the lounge with them. 

We were comped a "better" room on our 2nd cruise, and didn't feel we enjoyed it any more than the aquarium class cabins.  We have only updated twice since...  In China - when I was set on a sailing date, as well as direction (wanted to start in Beijing)...  we got the last cabin, and it was a junior suite.  And - our cruise coming in early next month - Vietnam & Cambodia.  I do *not* do well in the heat, so figure if I need to head back to our air conditioned cabin, I can at least see the outside.  The cost difference wasn't that much when we booked - so it was an easy decision.

The cruise coming up with be our 17th river cruise, so have cruised with an aquarium class cabin more than a dozen times - and never regretted it.

Fran

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, franski said:

And - our cruise coming in early next month - Vietnam & Cambodia.  I do *not* do well in the heat, so figure if I need to head back to our air conditioned cabin, I can at least see the outside.  The cost difference wasn't that much when we booked - so it was an easy decision.

I sailed with Avalon on the Irrawaddy, on a ship that is almost identical to that used on the Mekong. There are no aquarium class cabins; all 18 passenger cabins are panoramas. The only difference is that they charge more for the higher deck. I must admit that I enjoyed the panorama cabin; I would sometimes open the window all the way and just relax on the love seat and enjoy the breeze. I liked being just above the water level; you can hear the water swish by. However, I don't think that I would pay a lot more for a panorama when aquarium class exists.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:55 PM, gnome12 said:

I sailed with Avalon on the Irrawaddy, on a ship that is almost identical to that used on the Mekong. There are no aquarium class cabins; all 18 passenger cabins are panoramas. The only difference is that they charge more for the higher deck. I must admit that I enjoyed the panorama cabin; I would sometimes open the window all the way and just relax on the love seat and enjoy the breeze. I liked being just above the water level; you can hear the water swish by. However, I don't think that I would pay a lot more for a panorama when aquarium class exists.

We were set for that cruise in 2019 but they cancelled them due to the ethnic cleansing.  I would love to go one day.

A small group of older ladies will be on the Avalon Tulip Time cruise in April.  Several in the group have a few issues with lots of steps, etc.  AMA waterways had slow walker group excursions but I have not found any info regarding slow walker tours on Avalon....Anyone have any info?

50 minutes ago, rahrah1950 said:

A small group of older ladies will be on the Avalon Tulip Time cruise in April.  Several in the group have a few issues with lots of steps, etc.  AMA waterways had slow walker group excursions but I have not found any info regarding slow walker tours on Avalon....Anyone have any info?

Our last cruise, Christmas Markets on the Danube last December, did have a slow walking group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rahrah1950 said:

Yes, they have slow, moderate, and energetic categories within each tour.  When you attend the port talk for the next day, the CD will tell you to stop by their desk to pick up the color corresponding to which group you would like.  They have multiple guides to correspond to each energy level.  Have a wonderful time!

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Rebel54 did you really mean ‘ethnic cleansing’?

During that time there was a lot of unrest and certain groups of people were being targeted and killed because of their ethnicity and beliefs.  Ethnic cleansing, genocide...either word is horrible.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:11 PM, Canal archive said:

Thank you I did wonder it’s one of the reasons my DH won’t travel to the East any more. I’m just pleased I have squeezed in Singapore and Malaya albeit some years ago.

I hadn't done a lot of research on the area back then and didn't really know the history.  It made sense why all cruises were halted once I did some digging.  All very sad.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 4:08 AM, Canal archive said:

Rebel54 did you really mean ‘ethnic cleansing’?

On 1/26/2023 at 5:40 PM, Rebel54 said:

During that time there was a lot of unrest and certain groups of people were being targeted and killed because of their ethnicity and beliefs.  Ethnic cleansing, genocide...either word is horrible.

check out https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2019/12/06/peace-and-war-in-myanmar/

• Like 2

I’ve made the final payment for my Avalon Tulip Time starting 4/29 on the Tranquility II. I signed up for the extra day in Amsterdam at the beginning so I don’t actually board the ship until Apr 30. I was able to log into the MyAvalon page and look at the included and optional excursions. I signed up for the Aalsmeer Flower auction. I have already been to Zaanse Schans so I don’t need to do that. The only optional I am considering is the tour to Muiderslot castle. Has anyone done this and do you recommend it? I think this is in the afternoon on the same day as the flower auction, so I may not be up to it, but I’m thinking about it. Any thoughts?