Don't even think of trying to share the Cheers program with another cabin...

And CCL doesn't care about Couple A, they are still making money off of them (Cheers isn't designed to work for everyone after all).

Couple B is breaking the rules and probably would break the rules regardless.

Couple C won't exist because if CCL allowed only one adult to purchase the package Cheers sales would drop because most couples would buy just one and share it (in other words they would be Couple B in my example).

Actually Carnival breaks their own rules too. They have a quota to sell, so once on board, you will find them selling individual packages to certain people if you "know" the right answer to the hard sell.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't see people creating medications & pharmacy labels or medical records. I don't think Carnival does either because when I questioned them on this, I was told that they while they realize my son can't drink alcohol, he would still be able to use the package to order sodas so it wouldn't be a waste. And that was before the new add-ons of the specialty coffees etc. However, although it didn't pertain to me so I can't verify, I understand that they also used to allow pregnancy with proof as an exception as well. Now that's something I think people probably could come up with fake proof for. Perhaps Carnival lumped both situations into one medical exception rule and that's where they may have figured there were statistically too many people asking for exceptions. As you said earlier, it's too bad that a few unscrupulous people probably ruined it for those that should truly be exempted.

I'm sorry to hear about your son. It's a rough life that only people dealing with it can truly understand.

I don't think that we are really in disagreement about anything as I think it would be a good thing for them to continue offering exceptions. The only thing CCL could ask for is a letter from a doctor saying patient X cannot drink, no need to provide records or anything else and even if a person didn't actually fake a doctor's note it's relatively easy to convince a doctor to provide such a note. There are two ways of looking at it I guess- 1) people were gaming the system and CCL decided to stop making exceptions or 2) some hearless cretin decided to stop offering the exception. My money is on the first option but I can see the second one also.

Of course they are banking on that, they don't expect everyone to drink 15 drinks a day:). There are probably not that many parties where the cabins can be assigned that it works out to the passenger's benefit which is why CCL doesn't care (and as I said, if one can arrange things that way good for them).

But to reiterate the specific statement that I was addressing in the first post of mine in this thread that you quoted was "I personally think it's wrong that they force each adult in a room to buy the package. Not fair for those that have a spouse that doesn't consume alcohol. Makes no sense if they are monitoring the package use by picture when the room card us swiped." In response to that specific statement I demonstrated why each adult booked into a cabin is required to purchase Cheers because it is in the company's best interest to require it.

Carnival will still make money if you have 15 drinks a day, just not as much.

Same as the carnival games where you spend $5 to try and win a $1 stuffed animal.

Couple C won't exist because if CCL allowed only one adult to purchase the package Cheers sales would drop because most couples would buy just one and share it (in other words they would be Couple B in my example).

I disagree, your conclusion is based on an assumption that nothing else changes. Imagine instead they had two Cheers packages to choose from:

Package 1: Same as it is today, both people need to get

Package 2: Costs the same but only one person in cabin needs to get. Waiting period is increased to once an hour, if you want another drink sooner you must turn in your empty container.

If you were traveling with someone the hypothetical "package 2" is barely changed for the people who want to follow the rules. If they want to break the rules it will be awkward. Is a wife going to sit there while the husband drinks to wait for her drink that she will consume while the husband watches her? Sure some might, but its a tiny tweak that cuts out a lot of abuse.

I personally would consider the package if it was more like package 2. The waiting period wouldn't bother me, and I am the drinker in the family. Since that package does not exist I do not get it.

If they could sell more Cheers packages by adding this simple little tweak its a win win

I disagree, your conclusion is based on an assumption that nothing else changes. Imagine instead they had two Cheers packages to choose from:

Package 2: Costs the same but only one person in cabin needs to get. Waiting period is increased to once an hour, if you want another drink sooner you must turn in your empty container.

If you were traveling with someone the hypothetical "package 2" is barely changed for the people who want to follow the rules. If they want to break the rules it will be awkward. Is a wife going to sit there while the husband drinks to wait for her drink that she will consume while the husband watches her? Sure some might, but its a tiny tweak that cuts out a lot of abuse.

I personally would consider the package if it was more like package 2. The waiting period wouldn't bother me, and I am the drinker in the family. Since that package does not exist I do not get it.

If they could sell more Cheers packages by adding this simple little tweak its a win win

CCL is not going to create such a headache for the onboard crew. Cheers isn't designed to work for everyone, it's only designed to make CCL money.

What a brilliant idea and so easy to implement. Can't believe every cruise line

doesn't start doing this. They can call it the Galatz package in your honor.

I find it hilarious you really think that is an option. The staff is going to have to clock the customers and track the glasses and everybody is going to be thrilled. What a joke.

What a brilliant idea and so easy to implement. Can't believe every cruise line

doesn't start doing this. They can call it the Galatz package in your honor.

I find it hilarious you really think that is an option. The staff is going to have to clock the customers and track the glasses and everybody is going to be thrilled. What a joke.

The real Joke is when you add up all the man hours to check luggage, check carry ons at the ports, move liquor deliveries to the day of debarkation, cancel water carry ons, cancel bottle soda carry on, create a silly restrictive on board liquor program that is so easy to get around, all while people in the know know how to bring on their own booze, create a water purchase / storage/ deliver process (that tastes disgusting due to the crappy brand), all just to treat the passengers like children, who used to have the freedom to make drinks in their cabins, moreso with the rollOut of ample affordable balcony rooms, you really have to question WHI has a grasp and the upper hand of things.

Edited by Je Souhaite

It also assumes that everyone will break the rules.

I was on another line that did allow different people to purchase different packages. My favourite drinks are water, tea & coffee. I don't drink soft drinks or milkshakes etc. Occasionally I drink alcohol, but maybe 1 a night. My companion does drink, they bought the package I didn't. It never once occurred to me to try and 'cheat', I bought all my own drinks.

I think that a lot of CCers must have a very poor view of their fellow cruisers if they think they will all automatically cheat if allowed to purchase packages individually.

I believe those who cheat, will find a way to game the system no matter what rules are brought in by carnival.

I was on another line that did allow different people to purchase different packages. My favourite drinks are water, tea & coffee. I don't drink soft drinks or milkshakes etc. Occasionally I drink alcohol, but maybe 1 a night. My companion does drink, they bought the package I didn't. It never once occurred to me to try and 'cheat', I bought all my own drinks.

I think that a lot of CCers must have a very poor view of their fellow cruisers if they think they will all automatically cheat if allowed to purchase packages individually.

I believe those who cheat, will find a way to game the system no matter what rules are brought in by carnival.

You need to only look at the post above yours to see what the culture is like. I don't think everyone would cheat and I doubt that CCL believes that either, but they probably expect that enough would that it would significantly impact the profits of the package.

How do you figure? There already is a 5 minute limit so clearly the computer is set up for it. It would take no time at all for the server to see the appropriate pop up and follow the correct promps

If there is a 15 drink limit per day, what difference does it make if one person has 15 drinks or 15 people have 1 drink. If the limit is hit they stop you from getting more unless you pay separate. If there is no limit then I can understand.

Exactly!

It's a bit naive to think the way to abuse the system is to use someone else's card.

But as long as CCL wants to play the game of forcing everyone in a cabin to purchase the plan, we will continue to book the drinkers in one room(s), and the non drinkers in the other(s). Perfectly legal, breaks no rules, and even the cheerleaders have nothing to say.

And when I want to buy someone else a drink, I will make my way to the bar and get it. I have bought a program for 15, and intend in buying 15.

Each day.

How do you just "switch" people to the other cabin then? Once on board (after pre-paying for Cheers)....for instance, to have the keys work for the right people for the right door, etc? :confused:

Somehow people seem to think getting around the "everyone over 21 in a cabin must purchase the package" in this way is more honest & rule abiding than those that simply buy the package and share a drink or two with someone who didn't buy it.

My poiint was that however you slice it CCL would be out the same amount of $$ and though you can switch cabins once onboard, you're still cheating them out of that $$.

I get what you are saying and all I can figure is that since Carnival has not specifically said you cannot book like that, purchase Cheers, then switch cabins then it is not really breaking the rules.

I am sure that Carnival has figured out the cabin switching thing and figure it is acceptable as not everyone can do that. At some point in time, they might not let you do the switching if you purchase Cheers or they might make the other person purchase it after the switch. But until then, it must be OK.

One hour wait between drinks??? I can't even hell no that enough! That would NEVER fly! Or bring up a dirty glass? So why couldn't you just grab some random dirty/empty glass to turn in?? C'mon seriously?? Cheers is not as popular as CCL would like because of the everyone must buy rule. I personally hope people continue not to buy it so they are forced to lift that rule or make different tiers (like beer and wine, premium or kitchen sink packages)...

Not everyone, but a percentage of everyone. But they still haven't figured it all out in, what, going on three years now. The tweaks continue. Again, I wonder what all this jumping through hoops has netted them, and at what cost.

One hour wait between drinks??? I can't even hell no that enough! That would NEVER fly! Or bring up a dirty glass? So why couldn't you just grab some random dirty/empty glass to turn in?? C'mon seriously?? Cheers is not as popular as CCL would like because of the everyone must buy rule. I personally hope people continue not to buy it so they are forced to lift that rule or make different tiers (like beer and wine, premium or kitchen sink packages)...

I totally agree. This is one of the very FEW areas where I feel Royal is better than Carnival. There is no drink limit, there is no "everyone in the same cabin over 21 must purchase" requirement and they have several different tiers of packages.

I wanted to buy Cheers. Traveling with my 72 year old mom who because of health reasons and medications CANNOT drink alcohol, I wasnt allowed. We didnt even bother with a Drs note. Most opinions I read were it likely wouldnt work anyway. Who wants to pay a office visit copay to get a letter that may or may not even work :)

I really hope they lift that requirement by October next year. I wont hold my breath though :)

Edited by ryano

I totally agree. This is one of the very FEW areas where I feel Royal is better than Carnival. There is no drink limit, there is no "everyone in the same cabin over 21 must purchase" requirement and they have several different tiers of packages.

I wanted to buy Cheers. Traveling with my 72 year old mom who because of health reasons and medications CANNOT drink alcohol, I wasnt allowed. We didnt even bother with a Drs note. Most opinions I read were it likely wouldnt work anyway. Who wants to pay a office visit copay to get a letter that may or may not even work :)

I really hope they lift that requirement by October next year. I wont hold my breath though :)

I feel your pain. We have 2 cabins and my daughter's cruise buddy cannot drink alcohol for medical reasons. Those two are in the adjoining cabin. Daughter would love the drink package, especially with the included vitamin waters and such. Still researching just putting my daughter in my cabin instead of the hubby.....

Edited by Jayfo

How do you just "switch" people to the other cabin then? Once on board (after pre-paying for Cheers)....for instance, to have the keys work for the right people for the right door, etc? :confused:

You go to guest services together and ask for a keycard to each others room.

We do this frequently when we have kids booked in a separate room. Often an inside, while we have a balcony or suite. Then they can get into our room to use a 2nd bathroom or the balcony and we can check up on them as well.

Charging privileges remain on the original card. The 2nd card only opens the cabin door.

If there is a 15 drink limit per day, what difference does it make if one person has 15 drinks or 15 people have 1 drink. If the limit is hit they stop you from getting more unless you pay separate. If there is no limit then I can understand.

I assume carnival assume most people won't hit 15 drinks and provided a price point assuming this. if shared to get many if not all people drinking 15 drinks by sharing, then the price for this package would probably double

... that's a Bingo!

How do you figure? There already is a 5 minute limit so clearly the computer is set up for it. It would take no time at all for the server to see the appropriate pop up and follow the correct promps

Who will buy a package where you can have one an hour? Start at noon and you wouldn't hit 15 until 3am. The passenger has to know when they bought the last one so they know when they can get the next. Passengers waiting in line for a drink, finally get the server who makes the drink, scans the card and says sorry you have another seven minutes.

You wait the required hour with your empty glass? Is there a chip in the glass?

You set the empty on the table, go to the bathroom and somebody clears your table, then you have to nab somebodies empty when they are not looking? You return to get a drink and the bartender says you had a beer last time and you are returning a cocktail glass. Passengers asking the bartender to make an exception and give you a drink 11 minutes early. Lots of extra work for the bartender who can't keep up as is.

What do the table service people do? Take your empty, go to the bar and then have to come back without a drink because you didn't time out yet? The server "checks" your empty glass back in so you are good to go when your hour is up. You go to a different bar to get your drink and the bartender says sorry your glass was never returned. You never get a drink for the rest of the cruise?

Most people don't drink one an hour at a steady pace. You may want a beer you finish in 20 minutes then want another and then maybe not have one for two hours. Nobody sips a cocktail for an hour. That would be like one sip every 10 minutes.

Crazy plan.

Couple A buys two drink packages and each of them consume an average of 6 drinks per day on the cruise.

Couple B buys one drink package and shares it, and each of them consume an average of 6 drinks per day on the cruise.

Question- under which scenario does CCL make the most profit?

And that is why every adult in the cabin needs to purchase Cheers.:)

Lol. Carnival of course makes money in all scenarios. Specifically in the scenario I mentioned in which only person A in the couple drinks alcohol while person B does not yet has to purchase a package that will not be used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Dh is a heavy drinker I am a lightweight and we will probably get the package. If I am limited to 15 drinks a day, I see me taste testing and pouring out several drinks a day to Make sure I hit the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lol. Carnival of course makes money in all scenarios. Specifically in the scenario I mentioned in which only person A in the couple drinks alcohol while person B does not yet has to purchase a package that will not be used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yes CCL makes money but they make more money when all the adults in a cabin have to buy the package and since that is their goal that is how they have it set up.

Yes CCL makes money but they make more money when all the adults in a cabin have to buy the package and since that is their goal that is how they have it set up.

I wish there was a way to get an accurate count of:

Will buy the package for everyone in the room

Won't ever buy the package for anyone

Would buy individually but not for everyone.

I'm sure you are right in that they think they have it figured out - else they wouldn't be doing it. But I'd be really curious to see accurate numbers. I wonder if they've asked who would be willing to buy for one but not two.

I wonder if they've considered a sharing fee where second passenger pays some money and gets to drink but total package still has a hard 15 per day limit.

They may very well bank on us falling short of the goal but they are still selling 15 drinks/day so surely they are prepared for everyone who buys to use all their drinks?