Good lord, another tipping question.

PghCruiseGrrrl

I would like to start off by asking the moderators to please feel free to remove this thread if it turns nasty. I am not trying to start a flame throwing war, I genuinely want to know and make sure I'm not insulting crew members.

I want to fairly compensate crew members for doing a superb job. I have been in the service industry myself and know how hard it is. I always keep my auto tips on, but like to tip some crew members that have made my experience memorable above and beyond that. I would like to compare what I think is appropriate with what other travelers think is appropriate on how much extra you should tip for a job well done. I know this is personal to each individual, I'm just worried that sometimes just giving someone a $5 might be almost insulting to them because, lets face it, they work their butts off and $5 isn't a lot.

I don't want this to turn into a debate about if they get paid enough, if you should leave auto tip on, if you are expected to tip extra, do I know there is already gratuity attached to my drink purchase, or anything like that. I just want to hear from the other people like me that leave auto tip on and like to give a little extra to special crewmembers. I feel this is a (mostly) anonymous environment, but also understand this is very personal so please don't flame me for asking and tell me it is none of my business, just don't respond.

I usually give $20 to my room steward, $20 to my waiter, $10 to my under waiter, $10-20 to the waiter if I eat in a specialty restaurant, and $5-20 for any bartenders or bar backs that helped me on a regular basis. Actually I only gave $20 to a bartender once. He was a great guy named Marlon in Crooners on the Regal that as soon as he saw us sitting down would hold up 2 fingers. If we nodded he would almost immediately bring over 2 extra dirty Grey Goose martinis. If we were staying to watch the piano player he always made sure we never ran empty. Lovely man. Most other bartenders get $5-10.

Feeling very scared now :(

I would like to start off by asking the moderators to please feel free to remove this thread if it turns nasty. I am not trying to start a flame throwing war, I genuinely want to know and make sure I'm not insulting crew members.

I want to fairly compensate crew members for doing a superb job. I have been in the service industry myself and know how hard it is. I always keep my auto tips on, but like to tip some crew members that have made my experience memorable above and beyond that. I would like to compare what I think is appropriate with what other travelers think is appropriate on how much extra you should tip for a job well done. I know this is personal to each individual, I'm just worried that sometimes just giving someone a $5 might be almost insulting to them because, lets face it, they work their butts off and $5 isn't a lot.

I don't want this to turn into a debate about if they get paid enough, if you should leave auto tip on, if you are expected to tip extra, do I know there is already gratuity attached to my drink purchase, or anything like that. I just want to hear from the other people like me that leave auto tip on and like to give a little extra to special crewmembers. I feel this is a (mostly) anonymous environment, but also understand this is very personal so please don't flame me for asking and tell me it is none of my business, just don't respond.

I usually give $20 to my room steward, $20 to my waiter, $10 to my under waiter, $10-20 to the waiter if I eat in a specialty restaurant, and $5-20 for any bartenders or bar backs that helped me on a regular basis. Actually I only gave $20 to a bartender once. He was a great guy named Marlon in Crooners on the Regal that as soon as he saw us sitting down would hold up 2 fingers. If we nodded he would almost immediately bring over 2 extra dirty Grey Goose martinis. If we were staying to watch the piano player he always made sure we never ran empty. Lovely man. Most other bartenders get $5-10.

Feeling very scared now :(

Let me start by saying I'm an Aussie and this whole tipping thing is a bit strange and confusing to us (now I've been flamed many times for saying that), we don't have auto tips on ships here, they make it clear that it's included in the fare.

We do generally tip extra, and it's more or less in line with your figures. I also make sure that good staff get bought to the attention of management and not just in the survey when the cruise is over, a little note addressed to the Maitre'd or head of Hotel, while still on board.

I wonder if that's the same Marlon we had last year on Diamond, if so he was fantastic.

As I have always said (I think) Give what you want or don't give anything at all. I have "tipped" additional amounts of $0 to $100 a person. Obviously, the $ 100 is more exception than rule.

We have cruise friends who give $ 2 additional every drink they order and $ 10 a day to steward, assistant, waiter... Other cruise friends give the automatic tip amount only. To each his own.

Any amount is appreciated by the crew. Enjoy your cruises and don't sweat the small stuff.

You sound like you are being very generous (not too generous if that is what you might be worried about). We tip $1/drink in addition to the 18% auto tip in a bar. If we have had an exceptional bartender we would give $5 tips throughout the week that would generally amount to $20. We never have the same waiter twice so we do not tip extra there. We tip our steward throughout the week for extra things he does for us and it added up to probably $30-$35. We generally tip an additional $10-$20 in a specialty restaurant because the service is always so good.

No flames from me. You are asking a legitimate question.

Let me start by saying I'm an Aussie and this whole tipping thing is a bit strange and confusing to us (now I've been flamed many times for saying that), we don't have auto tips on ships here, they make it clear that it's included in the fare.

We do generally tip extra, and it's more or less in line with your figures. I also make sure that good staff get bought to the attention of management and not just in the survey when the cruise is over, a little note addressed to the Maitre'd or head of Hotel, while still on board.

I wonder if that's the same Marlon we had last year on Diamond, if so he was fantastic.

I can understand how coming from a non-tipping culture is very confusing. Here in the States it seems everyone wants a tip for just doing their job and not extra and seem to be upset if you don't give them what they think they deserve.

Giving a note to the Maitre'D is a fantastic idea! I'll make sure I do that in the future!

I was on the Regal in December. Marlon was from the Philippines, stood about 5"5' (1.65 meters), big dimples, and loved to talk about his young son.

Edited by PghCruiseGrrrl

I can understand how coming from a non-tipping culture is very confusing. Here in the States it seems everyone wants a tip for just doing their job and not extra and seem to be upset if you don't give them what they think they deserve.

Giving a note to the Maitre'D is a fantastic idea! I'll make sure I do that in the future!

I was on the Regal in December. Marlon was from the Philippines, stood about 5"5' (1.65 meters), big dimples, and loved to talk about his young son.

Could be the same bloke.

Love the way Princess handle it here one reason (among many including that they charge in Aus$) they're my first choice cruise line. Last cruise gave one crew a tip, his response (you don't need to we get more for sailing in Australia and you don't think we are slaves you have bought with tips).

It amazes me some of the people who do get tipped in the USA, and some who don't, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. But I try to do the right thing when in a tipping culture.

From the opening post:

I want to fairly compensate crew members for doing a superb job. I have been in the service industry myself and know how hard it is.

...and from the original poster's first response in post #6

Here in the States it seems everyone wants a tip for just doing their job and not extra and seem to be upset if you don't give them what they think they deserve.

The leopard always shows her true spots. Along with a lot of nerve suggesting she is only looking for facts and that anyone who might disagree with her should not be permitted to respond on the thread...and then dropping such a toxic opinion into the mix.

The tipping system is a very complicated system. I’m not going go into how it all works. When you give your server, room steward, favorite bartender a tip at the end of your cruise they are supposed to turn that tip into the tip pool, they could be terminated if it’s not turned in, at least that’s how it was explained to me. We always tip our room steward a little extra.

From the opening post:

The leopard always shows her true spots. Along with a lot of nerve suggesting she is only looking for facts and that anyone who might disagree with her should not be permitted to respond on the thread...and then dropping such a toxic opinion into the mix.

No contradiction there, says wants to reward for doing a superb job objects to people wanting tips for just doing there job.

But of course the tipping police think everyone deserves a big tip no matter how well they do their job.

I'm very sorry you feel that way. I was actually quoting from experience about people who don't go above and beyond still expecting a tip. I worked in a coffee shop at one point in my life where some of the other employees would badmouth people who didn't leave them at least a dollar for just pouring a mass batch brewed coffee into a cup and handing it over. I was appalled by their behavior, but it made me very sensitive to tipping.

I also didn't mean to make anyone feel like they couldn't give their opinion. I just thought we have had enough debates on whether or not to tip extra and all that other stuff.

Thank you all for the very respectful posts and I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.

Tipping extra is a personal decision. IMHO, there's no minimum, maximum or average amount. It depends on one's expectations and personal experience. You can have two people on the same ship at the same time with polar opposite experiences. Sometimes I tip extra, sometimes I don't.

Whether or not the OP's statements are or aren't contradictory could be debated endlessly. My point is that in the opening post it was stated that this thread is not to be about one's position on the fairness of tipping schemes but then the OP drops her own opinion into the discussion: her statement that "everyone wants a tip...and seems to be upset if you don't give them what they think they deserve" is strictly her opinion with at most only her personal anecdotal observation as a possible basis in fact.

Why on earth couldn't the question asked simply be a concise two or three lines from paragraphs 2 and 4 of post #1? The thread title and other "warnings" to the readers of this board can only result in the OP reaping what she has sown. Clearly unfamiliar with the phrase "self-fulfilling prophecy"

Edited by fishywood

"I also didn't mean to make anyone feel like they couldn't give their opinion. I just thought we have had enough debates on whether or not to tip extra and all that other stuff".

If you thought we had enough debates on tipping, then why on earth did you start a tipping thread:confused:

Did you really need CC peeps to tell you what to do with your money ?

BTW,if giving someone five bucks insults them ,well then they did not need your five bucks to begin with!

Edited by Reader0108598

No flaming from me, However when we were on the Island Princess, 2 yrs ago through the Panama Canal, we had the best service ever. We had 3 mini's in a row, and our cabin attendant was wonderful and our dining room peeps went above and beyond. The 6 of us talked it over and we gave the waiter 10.00 a day extra (15 days) per couple, and the bus person 5.00 a day extra and then cabin attendant 10.00 a day, on top of the pre paids! They deserved it and we would do it again if we had that kind of service!

On land or sea, if we get wonderful service, we tip!

No flaming from me, However when we were on the Island Princess, 2 yrs ago through the Panama Canal, we had the best service ever. We had 3 mini's in a row, and our cabin attendant was wonderful and our dining room peeps went above and beyond. The 6 of us talked it over and we gave the waiter 10.00 a day extra (15 days) per couple, and the bus person 5.00 a day extra and then cabin attendant 10.00 a day, on top of the pre paids! They deserved it and we would do it again if we had that kind of service!

On land or sea, if we get wonderful service, we tip!

Thank you! That is so awesome you had that wonderful service!

Whether or not the OP's statements are or aren't contradictory could be debated endlessly. My point is that in the opening post it was stated that this thread is not to be about one's position on the fairness of tipping schemes but then the OP drops her own opinion into the discussion: her statement that "everyone wants a tip...and seems to be upset if you don't give them what they think they deserve" is strictly her opinion with at most only her personal anecdotal observation as a possible basis in fact.

Why on earth couldn't the question asked simply be a concise two or three lines from paragraphs 2 and 4 of post #1? The thread title and other "warnings" to the readers of this board can only result in the OP reaping what she has sown. Clearly unfamiliar with the phrase "self-fulfilling prophecy"

Thank you! You are correct. I do have the problem of using a hundred words when one will do :o

The tipping system is a very complicated system. I’m not going go into how it all works. When you give your server, room steward, favorite bartender a tip at the end of your cruise they are supposed to turn that tip into the tip pool, they could be terminated if it’s not turned in, at least that’s how it was explained to me. We always tip our room steward a little extra.

From what I understand, if you keep on the autotips and give extra to your waitstaff or cabin steward, they can keep the extra (in addition to their share of the pool) after the list (which passengers remove or keep on the autograts) is checked. It's only if you had removed the autotips, that the money goes into the pool. I don't know how the bartender tips work as I don't buy drinks on board.

An additional way to reward any crew member is to go to the passenger services desk and ask for a "consummate host" card. You need the (first) name of the crew member, country, and work station (pool deck, IC, whatever) and you can write a nice note on it. These go into the personnel file. Just don't do what my hubby did on our last cruise and fill out one card for a list of crew members. Fortunately, I took it to the desk, got more cards, and fill out one for each person.

I would like to start off by asking the moderators to please feel free to remove this thread if it turns nasty.

Any thread that begins like this probably has an agenda. I guess it's fun to start tipping fight threads. :rolleyes:

"I also didn't mean to make anyone feel like they couldn't give their opinion. I just thought we have had enough debates on whether or not to tip extra and all that other stuff".

If you thought we had enough debates on tipping, then why on earth did you start a tipping thread:confused:

Did you really need CC peeps to tell you what to do with your money ?

BTW,if giving someone five bucks insults them ,well then they did not need your five bucks to begin with!

Exactly. Just stirring the pot.

Look, tip. Don't tip. We do not care what you do and you shouldn't give a rat's you-know-what what we do. Go start a formal wear thread or something. :p

I usually give $20 to my room steward, $20 to my waiter, $10 to my under waiter, $10-20 to the waiter if I eat in a specialty restaurant

I'm just curious. How come you give the same amount ($20) to a waiter in the specialty restaurant that you give to the one that served you for 7 days? I am not trying to be sarcastic, I really want to know.

From the opening post:

Ok first off let me a make sure my flame thrower is working:D (check).

The flames are not aimed at the OP rather Fishywood. All the OP wanted is an idea how much to tip when it is well deserved. As for saying if you have negative responses just don't say them. The OP was not looking for a debate just an idea of how much to tip. Furthermore this thread was not an "agree/disagree" kind of a thread just looking for an idea. I also agree if people are in a position where they make tips some of those people (NOT ALL) no matter how bad the service they give you, they still expect a 15-20% tip and frankly some just do not even deserve a 1% tip. I may have missed your respond in how much you tip Fishywood but if you did not give one, either give it or move on to another thread that is to your likings.

Flame thrower off now:D. Is it hott in here or is it just me?

Edited by Alaskan Joe

The flames are not aimed at the OP rather Fishywood. All the OP wanted it an idea how much to tip when it is well deserved. As for saying if you have negative responses just don't say them. The OP was not looking for a debate just an idea of how much to tip. Furthermore this thread was not an "agree/disagree" kind of a thread just looking for an idea. I also agree if people are in a position where they make tips some of those people (NOT ALL) no matter how bad the service they give you, they still expect a 15-20% tip and frankly some just do not even deserve a 1% tip. I may have missed your respond in how much you tip Fishywood but if you did not give one either give it or move on to another thread this is to your likings.

Well flamed.

But to some any questioning of the tipping system is sacrilege.

We give the room steward, waiter, and asst waiter, 20, 20, and 10 respectfully extra. I've read here on CC, that all cash tips are turned in to the pot.

I'm glad for this new tip discussion. It'll keep us all busy all summer. What a controversial subject!

I want to fairly compensate crew members for doing a superb job. I have been in the service industry myself and know how hard it is. I always keep my auto tips on, but like to tip some crew members that have made my experience memorable above and beyond that. I would like to compare what I think is appropriate with what other travelers think is appropriate on how much extra you should tip for a job well done.

:(

Princess already figured out what they think is fair and appropriate so need to reinvent the wheel. I expect the crew to do a superb job, cruising is all about great service. I do not tip more then the auto tip on Princess.

The flames are not aimed at the OP rather Fishywood. All the OP wanted is an idea how much to tip when it is well deserved. As for saying if you have negative responses just don't say them. The OP was not looking for a debate just an idea of how much to tip. Furthermore this thread was not an "agree/disagree" kind of a thread just looking for an idea. I also agree if people are in a position where they make tips some of those people (NOT ALL) no matter how bad the service they give you, they still expect a 15-20% tip and frankly some just do not even deserve a 1% tip. I may have missed your respond in how much you tip Fishywood but if you did not give one, either give it or move on to another thread that is to your likings.

You are new here, I see. After awhile, you'll be sick of tipping threads, too. They always end up in a big fight (which OP apparently knows since the FIRST SENTENCE in her post predicted the mods would have to close the thread.) Nothing anyone says is going to change anyone's mind, so what's the point? You can flame me or Fishywood or anyone else you choose to, and all you do is demonstrate the point that tipping threads are pointless. Welcome to Cruise Critic.