Harvest Caye - Food and Drinks

I assume you mean the Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP) not "D" dining package. It will work the same as ordering drinks on the ship.

There will be free food.

There will likely be a la carte food. All remains to be seen when the final details are released later this year.

Edited by BirdTravels

I read a news article (Miami Herald, I think?) that said food will be a la carte and guests can return to the ship for complimentary food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I read a news article (Miami Herald, I think?) that said food will be a la carte and guests can return to the ship for complimentary food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That will be a bummer. I hope they have some food/drinks options.

Bird Travels, where did you see the UBP will work the same as on the ship and there will be free food. From everything I've read so far it does not say anything about free food or drink. Plenty about all the a la carte options including Margaritaville.

We're going there on the Jade in December and we're only there until 1 p.m.!

Talk about a short time for a beach day! I guess there will be no BBQ lunch??

Harriet

That was what I was hoping. I guess time will tell. As it gets closer to opening we should get more information.

FDR thinks his money grab will increase the bottom line for NCL. I think that remains to be seen. Anyone look at the price of NCL shares lately? Not exactly booming. I feel it will take a while because people have booked 1-2 years in advance and before the majority of changes he's instituted but I feel in the next year bookings will be below his desired level. I'm willing to bet Great Stirrup Cay will no longer have the free buffet after reopening in Oct.

Bird Travels, where did you see the UBP will work the same as on the ship and there will be free food. From everything I've read so far it does not say anything about free food or drink. Plenty about all the a la carte options including Margaritaville.

I was told this as well when I booked my cruise directly with NCL.

FDR thinks his money grab will increase the bottom line for NCL. I think that remains to be seen. Anyone look at the price of NCL shares lately? Not exactly booming. I feel it will take a while because people have booked 1-2 years in advance and before the majority of changes he's instituted but I feel in the next year bookings will be below his desired level. I'm willing to bet Great Stirrup Cay will no longer have the free buffet after reopening in Oct.

Tale a look at the entire stock market. Nothing is "booming" right now. The markets have been going sideways since fall of '14.

It is not a "private" island. It is a joint venture with the locals, the government and NCL. Everything I've read in the last six months indicate it will be like any other port, pay as you go. Since it is a dock port, you can go to the ship for all the "free" food and drink you want. Otherwise, the vendors both gifts, food and drink will cost just like any other port.

• 7 months later...

Yup, we were there 29th Dec. You pay for food and drinks on the island (with the exception of water which can be found in cooler thingies around the place). For 'free' food you are invited to return to the ship - which can be a bit of a hike if you're at the other end of the beach. (Frankly, if you're on a budget I'd build myself a packed-lunch from the onboard breakfast buffet which is huge).

You CAN use your ship card in many restaurants and bars but not all (ask first). The charge will appear on your cruise bill. There are some local vendors who do not take the ship card. Things like clamshell rental on the beach can be charged to your ship account also.

On a related note, the island is actually superb - IF - you recognize that it is basically a giant resort hotel where the rooms pull up in the morning and leave in the evening. Do not expect a deep immersion in the culture of Belize. We were there with 3000 other people and it did not feel crowded at all, overall the best of its type that we've experienced anywhere.

Judging by the "YeeHaws" from the Ziplines and what looked like extended Parasail rides I'd say the 'excursions' were pretty good too. ENJOY IT!

Edited by Notnewtoit

• 9 months later...
It is not a "private" island. It is a joint venture with the locals, the government and NCL. Everything I've read in the last six months indicate it will be like any other port, pay as you go. Since it is a dock port, you can go to the ship for all the "free" food and drink you want. Otherwise, the vendors both gifts, food and drink will cost just like any other port.

It is a private island NCL owns and paid 50 million to develop it. They did hire locals to work there, but it is 100% owned and operated by NCL.