Adding a person to solo reservation - how does it affect the rate?

I have a solo reservation made under the WOW sale and current sale of 60% off 2nd person. (or in my case 30% off the total fare since I'm paying for 2 regardless).

The cruise is almost 2 years from now. If I want to add a second person in the future, will it be considered a cancel and rebook at the new rate when the change is made, or will I be able to keep the rate I have?

(I know that taxes/fees will be extra for the second person and will have to pay the extra deposit)

It would probably be at the current going rate for that cabin. Depending on the price difference between the two and your solo rate, you may be able to book for 2 now with a second person (name, birthdate) that you can change if someone ends up going or be a "no show" if you remain a solo. Otherwise you are at the whim of the market (and I guess the second person's port fees would be the cost of this insurance).

If you add a second person the only thing that will change is the addition of their taxes and port fees. I know this for sure as I recently added a person to a booking I made as a solo. And the rate had gone WAY up from when I booked.

This is what I've experienced as well when I've added people onto previous bookings.

My experience was that they only added the port fees for the second person, not rebooking/repricing the entire thing.

I do advise to add the second person ASAP, even if the name is To Be Determined, because if the muster station for your cabin reaches capacity, they won't let you add another person to your cabin even though one bed is going unused.

If the second person doesn't end up getting added in the end, you can cancel the TBD and get those port fees refunded.

TBD doesn't always work.

Put in a real person. It's just as easy to CHANGE a name as to ADD one.

I have booked many cruises with my daughter knowing that she isn't going to be my cabinmate.

:)