GTY But No Inventory

Have been keeping an eye on an upcoming sailing on Anthem of the Seas. Noticed there was one DO stateroom available, but also the GTY. The day I jumped and bought in with the X GTY there were no more balconies in the inventory. It's been like this a few days now and no assignment. Has anyone had this before? I'm thinking maybe they upgrade D+ or Pinnacle and then slip us in somewhere? Or maybe they're shrouding available inventory to get suckers like me to book? Curious on thoughts/experiences out there.

They may upgrade someone already in a balcony with higher status or paid a higher rate - that cabin will then open up for you - or you could get the upgrade - its a crap shoot - but as previously stated - you will get at least what you paid for even if its the lowest category

And as far as timing with an assignment, it can occur anytime up until pier check in. And as posted by sfaaa you weren't suckered into anything. We've booked guarantees before and have always gotten at least what we booked and sometimes higher.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Does royal anticipate some TA will release cabins they had on hold?

Maybe, if about 60 days out. We need a TA to confirm at what point do cabins go back into inventory with the new 90 days out final payment deadline.

Edited by Biker19

• 4 months later...
Have been keeping an eye on an upcoming sailing on Anthem of the Seas. Noticed there was one DO stateroom available, but also the GTY. The day I jumped and bought in with the X GTY there were no more balconies in the inventory. It's been like this a few days now and no assignment. Has anyone had this before? I'm thinking maybe they upgrade D+ or Pinnacle and then slip us in somewhere? Or maybe they're shrouding available inventory to get suckers like me to book? Curious on thoughts/experiences out there.

So I am curious what happen to you and what cabin type you were assigned? We have the same circumstance as you did.

Thanks

Not true! This person in the post below got DOWNGRADED. He did negotiate a free cruise though...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2411397

A bit of context helps, he didn't get downgraded - he chose to take a free cruise (when his GTY didn't come through). The cruise was oversold - that could happen even if you had a booked (non GTY) cabin.

Edited by Biker19

Not true! This person in the post below got DOWNGRADED. He did negotiate a free cruise though...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2411397

This is an EXTREMELY RARE situation. I think the second time I've heard of it here on CC. 99.9999% of the time you'll get at least a balcony. Don't let this disturb you.

I just booked my first GTY and have been assigned my room. Is it still possible I could be assigned a higher category?

If you bought in the US, you can ask to be put back into the guarantee pool and hope that you get assigned a better category, or you can switch your room around within the same category (moving from, say, a midship DO to one of the forward DOs). You can't ask them to switch you from one category to another one though, and if you purchased in the UK I believe that you can't change anything at all once you're assigned.

There is always the minute chance that they could end up bumping you higher if it turns out they need the inventory, but like all upgrades it's best not to count on that.