Money in St Martin

1bets1

I was just browsing images of the market in Marigot. The prices weren't listed in American $. (I couldn't really tell what symbol was used) So how will I know how much I have to pay in dollars? I did read you can use American money. Thanks!

I was just browsing images of the market in Marigot. The prices weren't listed in American $. (I couldn't really tell what symbol was used) So how will I know how much I have to pay in dollars? I did read you can use American money. Thanks!

That is the French side of St Martin and they do the Euro thing. They will tell you what you owe in USD....and give you change in Euro's.

This is the Euro sign € (press alt 0128 on your keyboard)

You will find the Dutch side of St Martin far more USD friendly.

Edited by thinfool

But the issue on the island is the US Dollar to Euro exchange rate. Some of the merchants and restaurants on the French side will offer very good rates, but there are also too many that will screw anyone paying in US Dollars. So know the real current exchange rate (easy to find on the internet) and act accordingly. When we stay on the island (usually in Grand Case on the French Side) we carry both US$ and Euros€. And sometimes it makes sense to use a credit card. One irony is that some restaurants on the French side will offer a great exchange rate for those spending dollars as kind of a marketing gimmick.

Hank

Right now the best exchange rate would be something like this: 1.00 EUR = 1.11130 USD Euro US Dollar But you're not likely to see that as an official rate.

As mentioned, some shops and restaurants might offer as a promotion the exchange at par for cash, 1 € = 1 $. If so, that is great for you, as it would be about an 11% discount.

It's each to check the current rate here.

gary

But the issue on the island is the US Dollar to Euro exchange rate. Some of the merchants and restaurants on the French side will offer very good rates, but there are also too many that will screw anyone paying in US Dollars. So know the real current exchange rate (easy to find on the internet) and act accordingly. When we stay on the island (usually in Grand Case on the French Side) we carry both US$ and Euros€. And sometimes it makes sense to use a credit card. One irony is that some restaurants on the French side will offer a great exchange rate for those spending dollars as kind of a marketing gimmick.

Hank

Thank you. When does it make sense to use a credit card?

Thank you. When does it make sense to use a credit card?

For small purchases I would never use a credit card. We use them for car rentals because we have insurance that comes with them. We don't carry large amounts of cash so if we were going to buy an expensive piece of jewelry we would use a credit card at that time as well.

Many of the restaurants in Grand Case will give 1:1 rates for US/euros if you pay in cash but not if you use a credit card so that's a place where we use cash on the island.

On the market in marigot you can pay in dollars and euros. Most market stands will still do one on one. A dollar for a euro. Just like some of the supermarkets do that (Super U at Howell Centre in Marigot and Simply at Sandy Ground Bridge). But here and there you pay an extra 10%. The other way arround on the Dutch side a euro is always a dollar.

• 3 weeks later...