Parents in suite, minor kids in connecting or across the hall perks??

I completely understand about it being unfair for non-suite guests to get the perks (particularly the lounge) but its also not fair for a suite guest to have to forgo their perks just to be with family. We will be traveling with family later this year and fully expect to eat in MDR together - it would be nice if one night we can all go to CK but if not, its fine. We certainly wouldn't expect it every night. As for theater seats, we usually sit in the open seating area, but will all get in line together using the suite access priority line. Its hard for me to enter alone and have to save 4 extra seats waiting for them. And boarding we want the family photo together at the entrance and disembarking we all need to get in transportation to the airport together.

The problem is we have 2 grown kids with spouses/partners. Royal Caribbean does not offer a suite that 6 adults can share. Pullout couch is fine for minors but not 2 adults. I wish there was an option where all 6 of us could be suite guests (other than paying for 3 separate suites) but until then, we will continue as is.

I completely understand about it being unfair for non-suite guests to get the perks (particularly the lounge) but its also not fair for a suite guest to have to forgo their perks just to be with family. We will be traveling with family later this year and fully expect to eat in MDR together - it would be nice if one night we can all go to CK but if not, its fine. We certainly wouldn't expect it every night. As for theater seats, we usually sit in the open seating area, but will all get in line together using the suite access priority line. Its hard for me to enter alone and have to save 4 extra seats waiting for them. And boarding we want the family photo together at the entrance and disembarking we all need to get in transportation to the airport together.

The problem is we have 2 grown kids with spouses/partners. Royal Caribbean does not offer a suite that 6 adults can share. Pullout couch is fine for minors but not 2 adults. I wish there was an option where all 6 of us could be suite guests (other than paying for 3 separate suites) but until then, we will continue as is.

Simple solution - book your adult kids in THEIR OWN SUITES! Problem instantly solved! Seriously folks, you get the privileges that are attached to the cabin that YOU pay for. Adult children do not get to ride the coat-tails of the suite residing Mommy and Daddy. So either you all stay at the suite level, or the suite level folks give up those perks if sitting with your adult kids is important to you.

Where did this topic take a turn from "minor" to "adult" children? Clearly the OP said, "minor" children.

So would your opinion be different if the kids were 16 & 17, 10 & 11, or 5 & 6?

I don't think anybody would disagree with adult children NOT getting suite benefits. But a 5 & 6 years old can't accompany their suite parents? Please!!!

I completely understand about it being unfair for non-suite guests to get the perks (particularly the lounge) but its also not fair for a suite guest to have to forgo their perks just to be with family.......The problem is we have 2 grown kids with spouses/partners. Royal Caribbean does not offer a suite that 6 adults can share. Pullout couch is fine for minors but not 2 adults. I wish there was an option where all 6 of us could be suite guests (other than paying for 3 separate suites) but until then, we will continue as is.

Simple solution - book your adult kids in THEIR OWN SUITES! Problem instantly solved! Seriously folks, you get the privileges that are attached to the cabin that YOU pay for. Adult children do not get to ride the coat-tails of the suite residing Mommy and Daddy. So either you all stay at the suite level, or the suite level folks give up those perks if sitting with your adult kids is important to you.

Well, cello56, you provide a simple solution, but ATLgirl15 sees it as too costly to do as it would seem from their post....and there in lies the problem....but ATLgirl15 wants some of the benefits to be enjoyed by the adult children and spouses. From what others have said, CK does allow suite guests to have guests for dinner with them, at times.....but the lounge itself should be for suite guests only. Seems simple.....and seems like a choice they make when they make the cabin bookings.

I understand the issue about minor children getting to be with their parents, but if I had paid for a suite and the perks that come with it, I would be peeved if people got the same perks but did not have to pay.

Its a good thing RCI doesn't take in to consideration whether you will be peeved or not. They can allow who ever they want to have what ever privilege they want to extend to them.

They only perk a minor, or adult child, would definitely not receive by staying in a non suite room while the parents are in a suite is the double points

I understand the issue about minor children getting to be with their parents, but if I had paid for a suite and the perks that come with it, I would be peeved if people got the same perks but did not have to pay.

Its a good thing RCI doesn't take in to consideration whether you will be peeved or not. They can allow who ever they want to have what ever privilege they want to extend to them.

They only perk a minor, or adult child, would definitely not receive by staying in a non suite room while the parents are in a suite is the double points

Well, MommaBear55 -- Like you I never have an issue with minor children being with their parents, but ADULT children need to bear the responsibility that comes with adulthood. The privileges of a suite, as an adult, go to those in the appropriate cabin categories for which they have paid for. Yes, Geoffy805, Royal Concierges can make exceptions and probably too often do....and that sets up the expectation that it will always happen. Then a concierge comes along and obeys the rules, and is seen as 'mean' or 'unfair'.

Edited by Paulette3028

We are traveling with my Sister and Niece and we made point to book them in a suite with us so they got all the "suite" benefits. The connecting rooms was not a solution unless they are connecting suites

OP - the problem with your scenario is that I don't think you can book 2 minors in the same room. So one of the parents will be in the non suite room and non suite benefits.

Where did this topic take a turn from "minor" to "adult" children? Clearly the OP said, "minor" children.

So would your opinion be different if the kids were 16 & 17, 10 & 11, or 5 & 6?

I don't think anybody would disagree with adult children NOT getting suite benefits. But a 5 & 6 years old can't accompany their suite parents? Please!!!

I don't think you can book a cabin for a 5 and 6 year old so it's kind of a moot point. But for discussion sake What should the cutoff be to receive suite perks if not booked in a suite?

I understand that suite guests can have non suite guests come to dinner in CK at the discretion of the staff.

I am aware that Royal makes many rules and then bends them like Gumby and I am only one person. I am also entitled to my feelings. I would not want to have to pay something that others get for free.

My question is how can your minor children have their own room?

Royal allows minors in their own stateroom if they are across the hall or right next to the responsible adult's stateroom.

My question is how can your minor children have their own room?

Our reservation is booked as me and my husband in the suite and my minor children in the room across the hall. It's been so long since I booked I can't remember the reasoning behind booking it that way but my kids are too young to stay by themselves so I am staying with my daughter in the suite and my son is staying with my husband in the room across the hall unless my son wants to sleep in the sofa bed in the suite. I have to book two rooms because of my husband's snoring. He has a Cpap machine but I can't even sleep with that noise. It drives me crazy. I won't get an ounce of sleep if he is in my room hence the need for two rooms. Also I have a son and a daughter and we all need our own bed at this point. They are too big to put in the sofa bed together.

Edited by ramanda

So glad to hear you are a responsible parent! Shocked to hear RCCL allows minors in a room alone! I would hope their is some kind of age limit! A newborn and 3 year old should never be allowed to have their own room! And let's face it, if it is allowed, there are parents that would do it. A ship is not like having your child in the room next to you at home!

I am sitting here shaking my head in stunned disbelief.

I don't think you can book a cabin for a 5 and 6 year old so it's kind of a moot point. But for discussion sake What should the cutoff be to receive suite perks if not booked in a suite?

You can book a 5 and 6 year old in their own cabin. In fact we have our 2 and 4 year old grand-daughters booked in a connecting cabin to their parents.

However, connecting was my request they could have been booked next door or across the hall. I'm thinking a little to young for that. However, I would put my 9 & 7 year old grandkids next door or across the hall with no concerns.

Just to make an arbitrary decision I would think 17 and under should be able to accompany suite parents. But certainly under 13 should be allowed.

However, it's not my ship so I guess I don't get to make the rules.

I guess I am bucking everyone else here but we have a grand balcony suite and a central park view room linked with ours for our kids on Allure on August 14. When I booked the cruise I specifically asked this question and I would not have booked the suite if my minor children did not get the same perks that we are. I had Royal Carribbean send me an email confirming this also.

I have also confirmed this. We have mostly royal family suites booked but on some that weren't available we did the grand suite balcony + adjacent balcony combo and we were assured by our RCCL TA our minor children would get the same sky class cards, perks etc. Hmm, I will inquire again now and perhaps get something in writing as the majority have me wondering.

I booked my children and grandchildren in a Royal Family Suite which can sleep 6 to 8 people.

I guess I am bucking everyone else here but we have a grand balcony suite and a central park view room linked with ours for our kids on Allure on August 14. When I booked the cruise I specifically asked this question and I would not have booked the suite if my minor children did not get the same perks that we are. I had Royal Carribbean send me an email confirming this also.

Well, you took a very wise step in having Royal send you an email confirming what you are expecting with the cabins you booked.

Well, you took a very wise step in having Royal send you an email confirming what you are expecting with the cabins you booked.

I am surprised Royal put it in writing but do agree it was a very smart move to do by the guest.

Are people really arguing minor kids can not get some of the same privileges as their parents if they are in a non suite room?

The majority of perks are geared towards adults and not something a young child/adult would want. Honestly, what kid is overly anxious to change out of a bathing suite to hang out in a lounge with mostly adults, as a minor they don't consume alcoholic beverages (no loss to paying suite guests there), would rather eat the limited food options in the suite lounge (mid day snacks and CK) vs the other options on a ship or would rather sit on the suite sun deck vs being in or near the pool that has activities?

The only issue I see is one less seat in the SL. Here on CC people make such a big deal about the SL and perks. When you are on the ship it's hardly ever full.

Are people really arguing minor kids can not get some of the same privileges as their parents if they are in a non suite room?

I totally agree.

This subject always sends people into a Hizzy Fit for some reason.

And argue to the death to keep anyone out who may be deemed to fit to belong there.

And why?

The majority of perks are geared towards adults and not something a young child/adult would want. Honestly, what kid is overly anxious to change out of a bathing suite to hang out in a lounge with mostly adults, as a minor they don't consume alcoholic beverages (no loss to paying suite guests there), would rather eat the limited food options in the suite lounge (mid day snacks and CK) vs the other options on a ship or would rather sit on the suite sun deck vs being in or near the pool that has activities?

The only issue I see is one less seat in the SL. Here on CC people make such a big deal about the SL and perks. When you are on the ship it's hardly ever full.

Most of the discussion has turned to 'when it is adults in a second cabin' who want the same privileges as their parent who is in a Suite. I have no problem with minor aged children being with their parents....but that is not the same as if a son and his wife/significant other are cruising along with their parents in a separate cabin. The parents are booked in a Suite and the son and DIL are in a balcony cabin, they should not have access to the same perks that the parent has who is in a Suite. Sorry.