Disappointing Cruise on Vision

We cruised on Vision last week (21 May).

This was our first cruise as Diamond Plus, so we are pretty experienced RCCL cruisers and up to now, have enjoyed the product.

We stayed in a GS (8012) which was nicely presented. We were worried about noise from above and one night it was pretty bad, but bearable otherwise.

As we were 'given' Select Beverage Packages on booking, I upgraded to Premium on board for $10 per day and my DW who doesn't drink alcohol, 'downgraded' to Royal Replenish. The bar tender told us we would get a refund for my wife, I thought he was wrong and he was!. no refund (but as I didn't get expect one, I wasn't too bothered.

We have 2 main gripes about the cruise. We found the food in the MDR, on the whole to be bland and uninspiring. The atmosphere was not enjoyable. Waiters seemed to be rushing about frantically, making the experience uncomfortable.

Second complaint was the entertainment. We thought it was dire!

One one night, the theatre show was a guy on a BMX bike, doing wheelies!

Another night it was the ubiquitous male and female acrobats. I just find 40 minutes of lifting a lady, one way and then another, whilst it may be clever, totally mind numbing.

That then takes us on to the other night with 2 different acrobats , this time cracking whips.

There were 2 shows with the singers and dancers, which were just so-so.

It has taken us a long time to achieve Diamond Plus, I hope this cruise is not indicative of where RCCL are going but the whole cruise felt they were penny pinching!

We also found the entertainment to be lacking on our Vision cruise last month. They tend to book acts where no talking is needed due to the many European languages of the passengers.

My wife and I were also on this voyage, and travelled with close family friends. Our opinion is completely opposite to that of the poster.

We haven't cruised with Royal Caribean for several years, but friends invited us to travel with them on this voyage.

We arrived at the check in at around 11am and were on board by 11.15 - very simple, efficient and polite check in.

Rooms were ready at 1pm. Our cabin was clean and serviced very well by a very personable young man, who dealt with our simple requests without hesitation.

We were allocated second sitting traditional dining, and given a centrally positioned table for four. The service received by our two waiters was extremely professional, and we were never rushed or made to feel uncomfortable in any way. In fact, we were surprised with their professionalism and friendliness. Our wine waiter was equally efficient, wine always waiting for us and replenished regularly. We never had empty glasses. We would rate the service in the restaurant at the top of the list of the many cruises we have experienced. We have no complaints about the food. Always hot, and cooked to our specification. Every meal was checked for satisfaction by our waiters. Our travelling companions who, incidentally are Diamond plus, agreed that the service and food was outstanding but RC standards.

The food and service in the Windjammer was equally friendly and efficient. The staff clearing tables were plentiful and very helpful and friendly, always willing to fetch or refill drinks.

In fact. all the staff we encountered were very friendly.

Our companions received a 210 points block at the repeaters party. We considered the party was well organised, greeted by many officers, and the singing by the Captain an excellent experience.

The seas were very kind to us all week, and like the Captain said, it was like sailing on the Adriatic lake.

We found the young Czech man in the Diamond lounge to be very personable and knowledgeable.

We were invited to a Bridge tour. Again an excellent experience and we were surprised to see the Captain personally spend an hour explaining the Bridge operations to our group.

We attended two short shows in the centrum and again surprised and pleased to see the Captain taking part and leading his team. His singing gained rapturous applause.

We didn't stay for too long at the Beatles show, and didn't attend any other shows.

As I said the weather was superb and no problems with sun beds.

We would rate this cruise as extremely good value for money and with a ships Master who really cared about his passengers to the extent that he personally said goodbye to 2000 odd guests as they departed the ship!

Oh dear. Were onboard next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont worry - you'll be fine.

Interesting there are two very divergent opinions (and equally valid) of the exact same sailing.

Just goes to show one man's trash is another man's treasure.

We were onboard the Vision on the same 21st May sailing and agree on the poor quality of 'entertainment' - except for the talented young man Freddy in the Schooner bar piano on most nights till late and Capt. Marek's entertaining in the Centrum on the Rocking With the Officers evening. Such a showman :)

The other musicians & singers were poor, we thought. Theatre shows we skipped.. incl. the quizzes. Disappointing as we had a great sailing aboard Splendour in November in the same area. Aearial shows were short and simple. In the end we did not bother with any shows, just enjoyed cocktails in Schooner with Freddy.

MDR waiters were rushed off their feet, we noted, but maybe the set dining downstairs was calmer than MyTime? (since much better experience posted earlier) Food was on the poor side too, my special meals were nothing to be excited about - in fact the chef in the MDR was less than helpful, unimaginative and sent out food that I could barely eat. How about uncooked apple slices in brownish cornflour-thickened juice flavoured with cinnamon for dessert. My companion's regular menu courses were ok though.

I found the Windjammer much better place, the supervisor there and the chef he referred me to were much more helpful and the range of food available for me by mix & match was better than what MDR was offering. Did miss desserts/puddings though.

But the one thing I need to say. Capt Marek and most of his staff/crew were great. Service in the Schooner, pool bar, housekeeping etc was top. Weather was heavenly and only on one day we had to wait for a sun lounger.

Would we go back? Not sure.

We have 2 main gripes about the cruise. We found the food in the MDR, on the whole to be bland and uninspiring. The atmosphere was not enjoyable. Waiters seemed to be rushing about frantically, making the experience uncomfortable.

Second complaint was the entertainment. We thought it was dire!

One one night, the theatre show was a guy on a BMX bike, doing wheelies!

Another night it was the ubiquitous male and female acrobats. I just find 40 minutes of lifting a lady, one way and then another, whilst it may be clever, totally mind numbing.

That then takes us on to the other night with 2 different acrobats , this time cracking whips.

There were 2 shows with the singers and dancers, which were just so-so.

I totally agree with this!

We also found the entertainment to be lacking on our Vision cruise last month. They tend to book acts where no talking is needed due to the many European languages of the passengers.

I agree with the fact they don't book comedians etc because off the language situation.

That said, we have been on many cruises departing from European ports and found that a decent singer etc transcends the language situation.

Save us from BMX bikers.

Also, we all have our own opinions, but I don't think it's acceptable that part of the entertainment is the captain singing.

Let him captain the ship and give us professional entertainers to sing.

My wife and I were also on this voyage, and travelled with close family friends. Our opinion is completely opposite to that of the poster.

We haven't cruised with Royal Caribean for several years, but friends invited us to travel with them on this voyage.

We arrived at the check in at around 11am and were on board by 11.15 - very simple, efficient and polite check in.

Rooms were ready at 1pm. Our cabin was clean and serviced very well by a very personable young man, who dealt with our simple requests without hesitation.

We were allocated second sitting traditional dining, and given a centrally positioned table for four. The service received by our two waiters was extremely professional, and we were never rushed or made to feel uncomfortable in any way. In fact, we were surprised with their professionalism and friendliness. Our wine waiter was equally efficient, wine always waiting for us and replenished regularly. We never had empty glasses. We would rate the service in the restaurant at the top of the list of the many cruises we have experienced. We have no complaints about the food. Always hot, and cooked to our specification. Every meal was checked for satisfaction by our waiters. Our travelling companions who, incidentally are Diamond plus, agreed that the service and food was outstanding but RC standards.

The food and service in the Windjammer was equally friendly and efficient. The staff clearing tables were plentiful and very helpful and friendly, always willing to fetch or refill drinks.

Our companions received a 210 points block at the repeaters party. We considered the party was well organised, greeted by many officers, and the singing by the Captain an excellent experience.

The seas were very kind to us all week, and like the Captain said, it was like sailing on the Adriatic lake.

We found the young Czech man in the Diamond lounge to be very personable and knowledgeable.

We were invited to a Bridge tour. Again an excellent experience and we were surprised to see the Captain personally spend an hour explaining the Bridge operations to our group.

We attended two short shows in the centrum and again surprised and pleased to see the Captain taking part and leading his team. His singing gained rapturous applause.

We didn't stay for too long at the Beatles show, and didn't attend any other shows.

We would rate this cruise as extremely good value for money and with a ships Master who really cared about his passengers to the extent that he personally said goodbye to 2000 odd guests as they departed the ship!

We were also on the vision last week and agree with the post above. We also boarded at 11.30 no queue and in cabin by 1.00, suitcase already there.

This being my 10th cruise we thought our service in the mdr was exceptional and the food choice was good. We had 2nd sitting our server always gave a recommendation which she thought was the best meals and they usually were. She brought us extra prawns with our starters then when prawns were the main she brought steak to make it a surf and turf plus cookies every night with our coffee. This took between 70 to 120 minutes. When there was a delay one night as everyone had ordered the rack of lamb she apologised and explained why.

Our assistant server dressed up either like Bob Marley or Michael Jackson and kept us entertained with his stories or dancing.

However I did hear from another couple who had to swap tables as there servers kept messing up the order and very slow.

The servers went above and beyond telling us which shows to see (she said she watches them in her cabin) the tender or docking process for the following day and all aboard times etc.

We had brunch in the mdr twice with steak and eggs, breakfast and also lunch in the mdr was a fantastic salad bar and always guaranteed a seat [emoji3] why bother with the windjammer.

I do agree about the entertainment it's difficult to please everyone, a good British comedian may not go down so well with the Americans.

Likewise we went to see the quest show which seemed more like a drunken teenagers party game but some people seemed to love it. I think it's just a cost cutting exercise on all cruise lines, previously there was always a professional act in the theatre and lounge but now it's what I call 'home made' entertainment with karaoke, mr and Mrs and the quest. We have previously sailed with princess and their home made entertainment is similar.

Overall we had a great cruise and enjoyed the later port days so no rushing around

Edited by cosytoes

Each to their own.

My wife and I have cruised many times with RCI and have been diamond plus for a number of years so have a good idea of the RCI product.

We were on the same cruise and had a tremendous time.

From check in to disembarkation everything was great.

The Captain our cabin steward the service from both our waiter assistant waiter and wine waiter in the main dining was fantastic we were on traditional second sitting dining at 8.30pm table number 102.

Never had an issue with the food in the main dining room always excellently presented and served hot.Nothing was to much trouble for the waiters.

Park cafe was excellent never to crowded and we had breakfast in there on two occasions as well as an afternoon coffee and snack.

Service and food in the Windjammer was also exemplary.

We never had any problem getting a sun bed in our favoured positions the pool attendants were very good along with the young lady in charge of the towels I believe she was from Argentina and her name was Francesca or something similar who worked tirelessly and always had time for a friendly word and a smile on her face.

In fairness we had a brilliant captain the best ever and you could see he was proud of his staff and ship and they all worked tirelessly for him.

Service in all the bars was first class never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for a beverage even at the busiest times.

I cant comment to much on the entertainment in the theatre as we only attended one show it was The Beatles tribute band and to be honest they were awful the worst we have seen on a ship we along with many others left early.How can they forget there running order???

Others entertainment in the centrum was very good albeit you perhaps need to be there early to get the best seats or indeed a seat at all but this did not spoil it for us.

Would I sail on The Vision again?

In a heartbeat.

We were on the same cruise as you and the OP too - completely agree with what you say, wonderful cruise, great service and food. Voltech in the Diamind Lounge is great and Captain Marek was superb. Top tier party was one of the best. We are back on the Vision at the end of next week and cannot wait.

Sorry to hear that some of you had less than a superb time on the Vision. We sailed her in April and had heard a variety of reports before we sailed. One person we sailed with last year said she would never sail on Vision again even if it were free. So needless to say, we were a little concerned.

By the time we left the ship, we were in love. The ship, although older, was superbly maintained. And the staff was amazing. As another poster stated the captain was phenomenal and you could tell the staff was proud of their ship and captain.

When it comes to entertainment, not everyone is going to enjoy the same things so that's always a bit of a hard one. I agree, watching a BMX biker isn't my thing and the acrobats, while beautiful, don't hold my attention to long either.

Just my 2 cents.

Erika

Oh dear. Were onboard next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry, you'll likely have a great time. Food is subjective. Entertainment is subjective. If your expectations are realistic, you won't be disappointed.

I've never been a fan of "cruise ship entertainment." I'd rather sit, as another poster did, in the Schooner Bar and be entertained there. But that's just me. I don't think, in general, that the entertainment on the small ships is all that great. Sometimes it is, but in general, it's ho hum for me. On Oasis Class though, the entertainment is not to be missed.

As for MDR food, well, I've never gone hungry. But also as a Diamond Plus and a veteran of over 20 RCCL cruises, I know which dishes I like and which I don't. And I'm not all that picky (as my physique would attest too).

But all posters agreed on one thing, the Captain and crew were outstanding. That being the case, I imagine you'll have a fantastic cruise.

That still sounds better than the shadow hand puppet we had on Rhapsody.

Um...what??? :eek:

I am on Rhapsody in July and while entertainment is not my primary focus, shadow puppets? Seems appropriate for Adventure Ocean!

We were also on the vision last week and agree with the post above. We also boarded at 11.30 no queue and in cabin by 1.00, suitcase already there.

This being my 10th cruise we thought our service in the mdr was exceptional and the food choice was good. We had 2nd sitting our server always gave a recommendation which she thought was the best meals and they usually were. She brought us extra prawns with our starters then when prawns were the main she brought steak to make it a surf and turf plus cookies every night with our coffee. This took between 70 to 120 minutes. When there was a delay one night as everyone had ordered the rack of lamb she apologised and explained why.

Our assistant server dressed up either like Bob Marley or Michael Jackson and kept us entertained with his stories or dancing.

However I did hear from another couple who had to swap tables as there servers kept messing up the order and very slow.

The servers went above and beyond telling us which shows to see (she said she watches them in her cabin) the tender or docking process for the following day and all aboard times etc.

We had brunch in the mdr twice with steak and eggs, breakfast and also lunch in the mdr was a fantastic salad bar and always guaranteed a seat [emoji3] why bother with the windjammer.

I do agree about the entertainment it's difficult to please everyone, a good British comedian may not go down so well with the Americans.

Likewise we went to see the quest show which seemed more like a drunken teenagers party game but some people seemed to love it. I think it's just a cost cutting exercise on all cruise lines, previously there was always a professional act in the theatre and lounge but now it's what I call 'home made' entertainment with karaoke, mr and Mrs and the quest. We have previously sailed with princess and their home made entertainment is similar.

Overall we had a great cruise and enjoyed the later port days so no rushing around

Was brunch only on sea day? We are taking this cruise in October.

I don't understand? What does "Diamond +" have anything to do with the perceived poor quality of entertainment on board the Vision? We sailed on the Vision last year and felt the crew was one of the best of ant RCL ship.

It goes to the posters experience level on Royal Caribbean. If you are D+ you are familiar with the product and have cruised on RCCL many times. It's a legitimate comment.

Brunch was also a different menu to the normal breakfast. Very good idea and the dining room always nearly empty at breakfast brunch and lunch.

They also have serve yourself buffet in mdr at breakfast and lunch with same food as windjammer.

Park cafe also good for lunch with toasted sandwiches, salads and cakes. So if you are watching your intake portioned controlled lol