How Many Euros & Dollars??

I am going to be visiting ... Germany on my upcoming cruise.

Germany is still a cash paradise, and will remain so at least for years. Contrary to Sweden, where you can rarely pay with cash, we Germans are mostly afraid of using non-cash types of payment due to our experiences in the past century with surveillance state conditions.

If you line up at a cash register or a ticket machine in Germany, you might also be looked at by groaning impatient other people - like me for example - behind you, since many of us think that cash payment ist going much faster.

If you want to pay bigger amounts, hotel bills for example, it shouldn't be a problem to use credit cards though, just be prepared to make a signature or give you PIN, german issued credit cards do offer both types.

So, in case of Germany, bring cash, and keep your cards in your pocket. How much you need? Some examples in Euro:

- public local transport ticket in town per person oneway 2 to 4

- public local transport ticket in town per person day ticket 5 to 6

- entrance fees for sights / museums 10 to 15 (find it out on their website)

- coffee / soft drink 2 to 5

- snack 5 to 10

- fast food restaurant menu 6 to 8

- restaurant per person 10 to 30 (increasing with number of stars of course)

I read that 80% of transactions in the world are still in cash so it will be a long time before it disappears.

Could someone from Northern Europe tell me how you deal with eating out with friends if you split the bill? The main time we really need cash at home is then. Restaurants usually won't split bills and it is a nuisance if one person cards it and then you have to transfer into their bank account. Cash is simply easier.

I read that 80% of transactions in the world are still in cash so it will be a long time before it disappears.

Could someone from Northern Europe tell me how you deal with eating out with friends if you split the bill?

The main time we really need cash at home is then. Restaurants usually won't split bills and

it is a nuisance if one person cards it and then you have to transfer into their bank account. Cash is simply easier.

I don't know but I guess most younger people will use Swish but I think it only works if you have a Swedish bank account.

Edited by Desdichado62

I find this difficult to believe. I would love to see where you found this info, to see if there is a qualifier, like cash is used 80% of the time....in the third world, or for transactions under a certain amount.

UK restaurants will split the bill putting so much on each card ( credit or debit ). Out last month in a group of 8 this was divided up and told restaurant to put so much on each card and one couple paid cash. This also allows for differental amounts, if somebody is not drinking and is the designated driver.

Contactless cards now will take £30 transactions so will also work. Never known anywhere not split like this in UK. It is easier than collecting in cash from a large group and having lots of cash to bank and shrapnel as it would not divide easily. If its £30-35 pp so £70 a couple, nobody now tends to carry that kind of cash, especially as many places are very suspicious of the £50 note, as so many dodgy ones, normal people do not use/ carry. A hotel for instance would be concerned at a bill settled for £250 with 5 x£50 notes.

Don't hold your breath for a Chip and PIN Chase card. After all, Chase is one of the big US banks who batted down Europe's insistence that US begin issuing cards with PIN numbers.

Instead, see if you qualify for a credit card issued by Credit Unions. Begin by checking the ones where the members are likely to be traveling overseas (e.g. Pentagon Credit Union, Navy Federal Credit Union, etc.) Based on what I'm reading online, true PIN cards are available through several of those credit unions. We've had a true PIN card for at least a year. However, the reality is that we have used our PIN only once since we received it -- in Stockholm at the VASA museum ticket machine. (Manned ticket sales were available for those who do not have a PIN with their credit card.)

Over the past few years, new regulations have gone into effect Merchants are now prohibited by mc/visa from rejecting chip and signature cards for lack of a pin at automated terminals. From my experience, although not in the Netherlands, I have not had a chip and signature card rejected for lack of a pin for the past two years. Don't worry. Your card today will almost srely work.

Edited by MATHA531

I find this difficult to believe. I would love to see where you found this info, to see if there is a qualifier, like cash is used 80% of the time....in the third world, or for transactions under a certain amount.

I cannot remember but it certainly included the third world as it was a global figure. I will chase it up for my own curiosity.

Unlike the UK many restaurants here will not split bills. Also it is common in eg coffee shops to see signs saying no cards under eg $10.

Here at the moment companies can pass on the credit card fee. So if you pay cash it can be avoided. Many places regard direct deposit into an account as cash but people will also pay physical cash quite often as not everyone is happy transferring money online.

Unfortunately cash is sought in many countries, including here, as a method to avoid tax. Tradies are notorious for giving cash prices and as there is a massive shortage of tradies here, many get away with it. And naturally they want proper old-fashioned cash.

Do you have chip/pin or chip/signature cards? Our Chase Mileage Plus don't have pins, and when we were in Rotterdam last year we couldn't get train tickets to Amsterdam because the machines required a pin. We stood in a very long line to buy tickets from an agent for over an hour only to realize that at the rate the line was moving we wouldn't make it to Amsterdam until very late. This thread has reminded me that I need to call Chase and see when pin cards will be available.

The current Chase answer is we do not have them and they will tell you that all you need is chip and signature, I then always tell them about ticket machines and self service gasoline pumps. Let's me rant but does not solve the problem.

Over the past few years, new regulations have gone into effect Merchants are now prohibited by mc/visa from rejecting chip and signature cards for lack of a pin at automated terminals. From my experience, although not in the Netherlands, I have not had a chip and signature card rejected for lack of a pin for the past two years. Don't worry. Your card today will almost srely work.

Just not true. Trenitalia ticket machines rejected a card just last month so automated ticket machines continue to be a problem. Did not drive this most recent trip but I suspect attendant free serif service gasoline stations will still refuse cards without pins.

Just not true. Trenitalia ticket machines rejected a card just last month so automated ticket machines continue to be a problem. Did not drive this most recent trip but I suspect attendant free serif service gasoline stations will still refuse cards without pins.[My/quote]]

My card worked sans pin in an automatic Italian ticket machines. Some problems, yes, but fewer and fewer and further between.

Edited by MATHA531

I cannot remember but it certainly included the third world as it was a global figure. I will chase it up for my own curiosity.

Unlike the UK many restaurants here will not split bills. Also it is common in eg coffee shops to see signs saying no cards under eg $10.

Here at the moment companies can pass on the credit card fee. So if you pay cash it can be avoided. Many places regard direct deposit into an account as cash but people will also pay physical cash quite often as not everyone is happy transferring money online.

Unfortunately cash is sought in many countries, including here, as a method to avoid tax. Tradies are notorious for giving cash prices and as there is a massive shortage of tradies here, many get away with it. And naturally they want proper old-fashioned cash.

Hmmm...was just down under for a month last August/September. Used our American credit card (chip/signature)for almost everything. Struggled to spend the cash (200 AUD) in 10 days not on a ship.

Edited by CruiserBruce

This really varies.

Think through what you might need cash for.

For example, private tours where you have to pay in local cash.

And think through small purchases where you might not want to use a credit card or where're they are not taken.

I have been on the same cruises but in different years and how much cash I needed varied based on these factors.

Just do an estimate.

Keith

If you line up at a cash register or a ticket machine in Germany, you might also be looked at by groaning impatient other people - like me for example - behind you, since many of us think that cash payment ist going much faster.

Or by the girl behind the register if you want to pay your 1.30 Euros postcard by card. I will smile at you but internally will be rolling my eyes and think "Oh Americans. You are so cute." With us you can (though boss isn't too happy if we let you) but some stores have a minimum you need to spend if you want to pay by card.

Seeing that our machines sometimes already have trouble with Dutch debit cards (and we are about 30 miles from the border) and sometimes even with German debit cards (Postbank - I dislike you with a passion)... thing is, we know. And we don't mind. We'll put your things aside, tell you where the next ATM is (it's a three minute walk) and wait for you to come back. It's not a big deal for us, just an inconvenience for you. And please don't start to argue that it worked in the store across the road. I know. I am sorry but there is exactly nothing I can do if my register tells me "not a valid card."

What is a big deal for us (as in: the store I work in) is if the card you are trying to use is not signed (or signed with "see I.D."). We actually have a rule not to accept these, ID or not. We have no idea if the ID you are showing might not be fake because we have no idea what US IDs have to look like and what to look for. Maybe, and if boss is not around, if you show your passport we may make an exception but that would highly depend on who is taking the payment and if they have heard of "see I.D." or not.

Also, if our machine does not accept your card, do not start arguing with us. This is "service desert" country, not "the customer is always right" country. And my boss will actually kick you out if you are being rude and there is nothing we can do.

And if you go where my MIL lives, you will be completely out of luck if you want to buy a train ticket as the machine accepts Geldkarten exclusively - no cash, no debit cards (though the "Geldkarte" is part of the debit card... not that normal people ever have money on it - unless you are a smoker I guess because they will work at cigarette vending machines), no credit cards. Of course the ticket machine also doesn't sell return tickets :o neither can you buy tickets on the train.

Hmmm...was just down under for a month last August/September. Used our American credit card (chip/signature)for almost everything. Struggled to spend the cash (200 AUD) in 10 days not on a ship.

Yes you can use your card but you would have been able to use the cash anywhere as well. Where cash is actually demanded is more when you are getting a plumber to fix something urgently. Not what your average tourist needs to worry about.

If you google percentage of cash transactions in the world you will find that many western countries still have a low usage of cards as well as most developing countries.

While you are wondering whether to bring dollars or euros, one way to avoid problems is to book and pay for the transfers before you leave.

I used Tinker Taxi for my trips from Schipol airport to my hotel and back again and then at the end of my cruise from the cruise port to the airport.

https://tinker.travel/en/

This was especially helpful when I got down to the terminal and picked up my bags and found a line snaking right across the building. My estimate is that it would take an hour to get a cab.

I went out the door and my driver was there. In my 3 times using the service I had a Mercedes station wagon, a Mercedes mini-van and a mini-bus as we had 3 big bags, 2 carry-ons and a knapsack and purse.

The price was better than was the regular taxis were offering, $34 euros from the port to the airport vs. 55 euros with a regular cab. Ironically my last driver was an off-duty taxi driver who had just taken his roof top sign off. NOTE: when you book, the time you put down is the time you want to get to your destination, not your departure time. They will adjust your pickup based on expected traffic.

To the OP, I would not suggest any cash other your local currency plus a little for getting to an exchange bank or ATM. Changing dollars to euros in the US is going to mean a lost in conversion with poor rates. Rates for currency trade are much better in countries that deal a lot on various currencies. Never exchange at airports or the exchange kiosks, unless you just want to give away money you did not use on the return leg.

Countries that deal a lot with foreign currency generally have lower margins since they are dealing in a lot of volume. Using credit cards is convenient but two banks make bad exchange rate conversions on each use so you lose 10% or more If there is much intraday fluctuation in the Forex market prices, your bank will use the worst(for you) rate of the day, and the best rate(for the bank) when it is settled after hours. A volatile currency, like the ruble and pound can swing 20% a day even if it closes where it started. You take the 20% hit even if the rate closed at exactly what is opened at. Dollars are strong right now compared to pounds, euros and the ruble but the ruble has been steadily increasing in value so bargains are not quite as good of bargains as a few months ago.

To the OP, I would not suggest any cash other your local currency plus a little for getting to an exchange bank or ATM. Changing dollars to euros in the US is going to mean a lost in conversion with poor rates. Rates for currency trade are much better in countries that deal a lot on various currencies. Never exchange at airports or the exchange kiosks, unless you just want to give away money you did not use on the return leg.

Countries that deal a lot with foreign currency generally have lower margins since they are dealing in a lot of volume. Using credit cards is convenient but two banks make bad exchange rate conversions on each use so you lose 10% or more If there is much intraday fluctuation in the Forex market prices, your bank will use the worst(for you) rate of the day, and the best rate(for the bank) when it is settled after hours. A volatile currency, like the ruble and pound can swing 20% a day even if it closes where it started. You take the 20% hit even if the rate closed at exactly what is opened at. Dollars are strong right now compared to pounds, euros and the ruble but the ruble has been steadily increasing in value so bargains are not quite as good of bargains as a few months ago.

You have introduced a level of stress into vacation planning that simply is not reasonable. How is knowing that the conversion rates are better in countries that deal with lots of different currencies useful information, especially if a cruiser isn't visiting such a country? Surely you're not suggesting a person stay on board the ship when visiting a country with a less than ideal conversion rate. Surely you're not suggesting a person refuse to go places that charge an admission or buy themselves something to drink or, even, buy a souvenir. What, precisely, are you suggesting someone do with the information you've just shared?

Even if we accept everything you've written as true -- and when it comes to credit cards I do not believe you are right -- acting on your advice would significantly reduce the pleasure of travel. I'm more interested in a great cruise experience -- seeing interesting sights and having fascinating experiences -- than optimizing my conversion rates. I doubt I'm the only person on this board who understands that less-than-ideal conversion rates are a cost of travel and must be budgeted for.

In addition, the "facts" you're describing about credit cards simply do not match the information I've received from our credit card companies and from my own experience. You seem to be suggesting that a purchase is charged the instant a transaction is approved by the swipe of the card/use of the chip. Not so. The earliest charges will post to your account is at the end of the day and often will not post until the next day. Doubt what I'm saying? Just look at your online bank statement. The date of many purchases appears one day later than the actual purchase. Furthermore, the bank is not really doing its currency conversions one-by-one on a minute-by-minute basis. Each day, they bundle all the transactions in a given currency and simultaneously do all the conversions. As such, the hour-by-hour fluctuation you refer to doesn't apply.

More significantly, knowing if your charge is going to post at 10:00 AM or 12 midnight isn't useful information in the real world. What are you going to do if you see a souvenir you want to purchase by charge card but you won't know the conversion rate until midnight? Will you come back at midnight to make the purchase? Of course not. The store/vendor will be closed and, even if it were open, your desired item might have been sold/your ship may have left the port/you may spend more in transportation getting back to the store than any conversion savings.

What are you going to do if you see a souvenir at 10:00 AM? You can certainly go online for the latest conversion rate, but so what? I don't buy souvenirs frivolously. I'm still wearing an amber bracelet I bought on a trip a decade ago. I'm still wearing an agnora knit shawl I bought farther back than that. I'm still wearing pearls I bought in China even farther back. Over the years/decades whether I spent or saved some money on an individual transaction is lost in my great memories and the joy I continue to feel from my souvenirs.

Most of us take a larger picture of our travel experience. We want to enjoy the sites, the sights, the experiences without draining our energy over optimizing conversion rates. I get money from local ATM machines and I charge as much of my trip as possible. Beyond, that I don't stress. As I said, less-than-ideal conversion rates are a cost of travel and must be budgeted for.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Most of us take a larger picture of our travel experience. We want to enjoy the sites, the sights, the experiences without draining our energy over optimizing conversion rates. I get money from local ATM machines and I charge as much of my trip as possible. Beyond, that I don't stress. As I said, less-than-ideal conversion rates are a cost of travel and must be budgeted for.

My thoughts exactly. The only thing I worried about on our recent Baltic cruise was getting rid of all my Rubles before we left St. Petersburg so we bought some overpriced souvenirs at the port :)

I think you misunderstood, cards are settled at the end of the day at the worst rate of the day. I deal with conversions every day and if you do not mind losing 10-20% of your money in conversions using cards that is fine but for those who make larger purchases like tours or higher end gifts it becomes substantial. Multiple conversions increase the hit even more.

I keep two currency accounts, one in US dollars and the other in rubles and make note of the current rates, over a year it can be $10k-30k difference.

Those living in non-US dollar denominated countries are familiar with the juggling when prices are quoted in a local currency and conversion is automatically done when you use a card. The only legal tender is the local one, so conversion is automatic on every transaction and against your favor.

If paying for a large purchase, say a $1000 tour for 2, in Europe or Russia, paying in local currency is going to happen no matter how you do it, nothing else is legal, so I was suggesting you can save a lot by being in control of the exchange rate instead of letting banks take a big bite out of your buying power. If that does not matter to you, the advice did not apply to you but saying it is nonsense when it is clearly not, and is accurate does not help those who are more careful with their money.

I think you misunderstood, cards are settled at the end of the day at the worst rate of the day. I deal with conversions every day and if you do not mind losing 10-20% of your money in conversions using cards that is fine but for those who make larger purchases like tours or higher end gifts it becomes substantial. Multiple conversions increase the hit even more.

I keep two currency accounts, one in US dollars and the other in rubles and make note of the current rates, over a year it can be $10k-30k difference.

Those living in non-US dollar denominated countries are familiar with the juggling when prices are quoted in a local currency and conversion is automatically done when you use a card. The only legal tender is the local one, so conversion is automatic on every transaction and against your favor.

If paying for a large purchase, say a $1000 tour for 2, in Europe or Russia, paying in local currency is going to happen no matter how you do it, nothing else is legal, so I was suggesting you can save a lot by being in control of the exchange rate instead of letting banks take a big bite out of your buying power. If that does not matter to you, the advice did not apply to you but saying it is nonsense when it is clearly not, and is accurate does not help those who are more careful with their money.

spbstan, you have a very specific point of view on a lot of travel subjects. (I vividly remember your criticizing people who visited popular -- often crowded tourist sites -- in St Petersburg. You insisted that we were all sheep by going to popular places when we should be spending time meeting people.) You are really intolerant about others' points of view. There are different decisions a person might legitimately make when living full time in Russia in contrast to a person who is visiting a port with a unique currency for a limited number of hours.

In Russia, your warning about the conversion for tours seems particularly irrelevant. Most of us pay for private tours in US dollars. The cost of a tour was quoted in US dollars and that's what we pay. We arrive in St Petersburg loaded up with crisp, new US dollars. There's no conversion.

In other places in Europe, cruisers have the opportunity to stop at an ATM and withdraw the local currency to pay cash for a tour. There's not a tour guide in the world who would refuse to help his/her guests find an ATM so he/she can be paid. Of course, there's a conversion rate, but local ATMs are the best deal we visitors are going to get.

Finally, plenty of cruisers are happy to take advantage of charging for any number of excellent reasons. For example, some people want to charge to avoid ending up with unused unique currency. The best conversion strategy in the world goes up in smoke when someone has leftover unique currency. You can use it in any number of ways: reconverting it into USD (or some other currency), buying more stuff, or donating it charity. The last method at least does someone some good, but the cost of charging as much as possible is often equaled by having excess unique currency in your wallet when the ship sails away.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

spbstan, you have a very specific point of view on a lot of travel subjects. (I vividly remember your criticizing people who visited popular -- often crowded tourist sites -- in St Petersburg. You insisted that we were all sheep by going to popular places when we should be spending time meeting people.) You are really intolerant about others' points of view. There are different decisions a person might legitimately make when living full time in Russia in contrast to a person who is visiting a port with a unique currency for a limited number of hours.

In Russia, your warning about the conversion for tours seems particularly irrelevant. Most of us pay for private tours in US dollars. The cost of a tour was quoted in US dollars and that's what we pay. We arrive in St Petersburg loaded up with crisp, new US dollars. There's no conversion.

In other places in Europe, cruisers have the opportunity to stop at an ATM and withdraw the local currency to pay cash for a tour. There's not a tour guide in the world who would refuse to help his/her guests find an ATM so he/she can be paid. Of course, there's a conversion rate, but local ATMs are the best deal we visitors are going to get.

Finally, plenty of cruisers are happy to take advantage of charging for any number of excellent reasons. For example, some people want to charge to avoid ending up with unused unique currency. The best conversion strategy in the world goes up in smoke when someone has leftover unique currency. You can use it in any number of ways: reconverting it into USD (or some other currency), buying more stuff, or donating it charity. The last method at least does someone some good, but the cost of charging as much as possible is often equaled by having excess unique currency in your wallet when the ship sails away.

I think it is a good idea to take local currency, respectful to the country you are visiting. Take some Euros and US as back up. My analogy is you get into a cab in New York or Sydney ask the driver if he will take Danish Krone etc. credit cards are also helpful.

I keep thinking back to the "lady" in the Vassa museum shop in Stockholm, "what is that price in Us $ not whatever you use here".

Generally for the smaller amounts you use in each country the exchange rates are not a major issue.

Try changing Aus $ to US, very sad face.

• 10 months later...
We never bring any currency overseas. We always withdraw as needed from a bank ATM. Headed to Moscow and from there to Stockholm and onto the Silhouette next week. We have some Euros left over from our last trip so we will bring those, but plan to withdraw Rubles (as we will have several independent days in both Moscow and St. Pete), but hope to avoid withdrawing Swedish or Danish kroner and make do with credit cards there. I would assume your ship's casino will accept dollars as you are sailing HAL, but I'm not sure. We will bring about $2-300 in US Dollars for emergency/casino/extra tip purposes.

Agree! We usually have more trouble getting small US bills on board for tips.

• 2 weeks later...
Agree! We usually have more trouble getting small US bills on board for tips.

We have some left over Euros from our trip to the Greek Isles/Black Sea back in 2010. Can these be used for our trip next year to Ireland & the Baltic? 3 of the bills are 50 euros. I thought I read somewhere that although they still use Euros, they have been reissued. Will banks accept them if the Euro was reissued?

Thanks in advance

Edited by DesertGirl28
wrong info