Water shoes

ramanda

Hi everyone!

Just wondering what people thought about the need to buy water shoes? We will be sailing on Allure and doing excursions on the Eastern itinerary and just wondering if we should bother or will flip flops suffice? We are doing the Blue Lagoon excursion, the sail to Christmas and Honeymoon coves and a beach day at Carambola beach club. Thanks in advance!

Our preference is we do our beach days in the water shoes, and when we are on Labadee we just wear them all day.

In the past we just have gotten the cheap ones from Wall Mart and then get a new pair every cruise.

However 3 years ago we found nice ones for just a tad more at Target and they are still in good shape.

Safe travels.

We were on the Eastern itinerary on Allure back in April. Amazing ship and we loved the stops. We did Blue Lagoon in Nassau and loved it. Beautiful, calm water and they have free basic water toys and rental toys plus Aqua park. And you can join or just watch the dolphins. I have some pictures in my report link below (starting on page 4 at post 67).

My son wore crocs and my daughter wore water shoes. For the beach, you are probably good with any (crocs, water shoes or flip flops)... unless your other stops are rocky. I don't know those.

But...I will say that the pool decks can get slippery and the water shoes are better than flip flops for wearing there.

Hi everyone!

Just wondering what people thought about the need to buy water shoes? We will be sailing on Allure and doing excursions on the Eastern itinerary and just wondering if we should bother or will flip flops suffice? We are doing the Blue Lagoon excursion, the sail to Christmas and Honeymoon coves and a beach day at Carambola beach club. Thanks in advance!

I am also doing christmas & Honeymoon coves, and carambola beach club. Have you been to either? If so, how were both places?

Labadee is very rocky, I would have loved to have water shoes there.

Our preference is we do our beach days in the water shoes, and when we are on Labadee we just wear them all day.

In the past we just have gotten the cheap ones from Wall Mart and then get a new pair every cruise.

However 3 years ago we found nice ones for just a tad more at Target and they are still in good shape.

Safe travels.

Thanks Lioness! Do you find it hot walking around with them vs. flip flops?

We were on the Eastern itinerary on Allure back in April. Amazing ship and we loved the stops. We did Blue Lagoon in Nassau and loved it. Beautiful, calm water and they have free basic water toys and rental toys plus Aqua park. And you can join or just watch the dolphins. I have some pictures in my report link below (starting on page 4 at post 67).

My son wore crocs and my daughter wore water shoes. For the beach, you are probably good with any (crocs, water shoes or flip flops)... unless your other stops are rocky. I don't know those.

But...I will say that the pool decks can get slippery and the water shoes are better than flip flops for wearing there.

Thanks LuCruise! Yes I am doing Blue Lagoon based on your suggestion on a thread a while back. Sounds lovely. Will check out the pics. I think we will get some at least for the decks. I didn't think of that.

I am also doing christmas & Honeymoon coves, and carambola beach club. Have you been to either? If so, how were both places?

Labadee is very rocky, I would have loved to have water shoes there.

No I haven't been to either but I decided on these excursions after MUCH research and thought. It took much more effort to decide on the excursions than to decide on which cruise I wanted to go on! That was the easy part lol! I have read really good things about both of those places after reading and reading and reading so I figured they were a good bet. Have heard the same about Labadee and yes water shoes sound like a must there.

Hi everyone!

HI Ramanda:)

My wife & I always wear water shoes as a preventative measure when sailing. It only takes one sharp rock or piece of sea glass to cause an issue. They are inexpensive and certainly money well spent.

Have a terrific voyage!

:)

HI Ramanda:)

My wife & I always wear water shoes as a preventative measure when sailing. It only takes one sharp rock or piece of sea glass to cause an issue. They are inexpensive and certainly money well spent.

Have a terrific voyage!

:)

Thank you so much PortSideCruzan! Yes we are so excited. This has been years I have dreaming and planning and it's finally almost here - Aug 14 on Allure. I will definitely get the shoes now. Was on the fence but I knew CC would help me decide!

Blue Lagoon is great, my wife enjoyed that excursion very much when we went. The beach proper isn't very rocky but from getting to the eating area and the beach and the play area, water shoes should do the trick.

Glad to hear another positive review of Blue Lagoon! Will definitely get the water shoes now.

Hi everyone!

You will be fine in flip flops, especially if that is what you are used to wearing. Water shoes are a good idea to wear in the water at Labadee, but unless you buy a good, more expensive pair, the cheap ones from Walmart and Target are not very comfortable to walk in. We wear Tevas since they have a better sole and some arch support and then switch to water shoes if we are at a rocky beach.

On the ship, I go with an Adidas flip flop that has a good sole which doesn't slip. The pool deck can be hot so I don't go barefoot but flip flops are fine.

You will be fine in flip flops, especially if that is what you are used to wearing. Water shoes are a good idea to wear in the water at Labadee, but unless you buy a good, more expensive pair, the cheap ones from Walmart and Target are not very comfortable to walk in. We wear Tevas since they have a better sole and some arch support and then switch to water shoes if we are at a rocky beach.

On the ship, I go with an Adidas flip flop that has a good sole which doesn't slip. The pool deck can be hot so I don't go barefoot but flip flops are fine.

Thanks for that info. Will have to check out the flip flops and water shoes tomorrow when I go shopping. I just have an inexpensive pair of Nike flip flops and the rest of my family just has inexpensive ones as well. Not a good idea apparently. I have read numerous times that the deck is slippery and hot.

Thanks Lioness! Do you find it hot walking around with them vs. flip flops?

No,

they are vented with tiny holes and they have rubber bottoms.

The one thing I hate about water shoes is they trap sand, unlike flip flops that do not.

So after we swim we towel off our feet, sprinkle on some baby powder to prevent the sand from accumulating in our shoes and off we go.

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss

No,

they are vented with tiny holes and they have rubber bottoms.

The one thing I hate about water shoes is they trap sand, unlike flip flops that do not.

So after we swim we towel off our feet, sprinkle on some baby powder to prevent the sand from accumulating in our shoes and off we go.

Safe travels.

What a great tip about the baby powder! Thanks for the info

Thanks for that info. Will have to check out the flip flops and water shoes tomorrow when I go shopping. I just have an inexpensive pair of Nike flip flops and the rest of my family just has inexpensive ones as well. Not a good idea apparently. I have read numerous times that the deck is slippery and hot.

My Adidas flip flop have a sole that looks more like a sneaker. Some of the Nike ones have good soles too. I would just avoid the ones that have a very smooth surface so you don't glide across the deck. Bob's or Kohl's had some decent ones. I have a $3 Christmas Tree Shop pair that I use to go out to the grill at home, but those I wouldn't take on the cruise.:p

My Adidas flip flop have a sole that looks more like a sneaker. Some of the Nike ones have good soles too. I would just avoid the ones that have a very smooth surface so you don't glide across the deck. Bob's or Kohl's had some decent ones. I have a $3 Christmas Tree Shop pair that I use to go out to the grill at home, but those I wouldn't take on the cruise.:p

Thanks for the info. Wow I thought this was kind of a boring topic and I didn't think I would get much of a response and I got a ton! Thanks everyone

Tevas also makes terrific water shoes. Check REI.

Flip flops are fine for walking on DRY sand...they are not so hot if you wear them into the water..they tend to be slippery and unstable when both shoe and foot is wet!

WE just use flip flops..and don't wear shoes in the water!

Glad to hear another positive review of Blue Lagoon! Will definitely get the water shoes now.

We were there in January, and when we were wading into the waters in the larger lagoon/beach area, there were these cool white fish that would come and swim around our feet. They almost looked glassy under the water. Just a really nice relaxing day.

I love water shoes, I wear them all summer kayaking etc. they have come a long way, look for quality, puma made some very good ones. Gotten some from lands end, propet, best bet try them on break them in to avoid blisters. But you may need bandaids as you will get them wet, swim.com has huge selection.