Help with picking next cruise line to try

robert32asp

I would like some advice from others who have more cruise experience.

I have don't a Rhine Cruise many decades ago. An Alaska Cruise on Princess. A Baltic Cruise From Sweden to Finland, St. Pete, then Poland and Germany on an Oceania ship. And most recently a Amazara mediteranian Cruise; Venice, Debrovnik, Crete, Greek Isles, Ephesus and Athens.

My wife an I are "off-leash" shore explorers. We generally avoid cruiseline tours as they are too crowded, leave too early in the morning and don't allow us to explore nooks and local restaurants. They want us to stay together, typically in groups of 20 to 30 and listen to guides of varying quality. We will hire a tour guide we have researched for either just ourselves or a small group of 4 to 6. We also just like to get a bus or taxi or walk to sights and usually research them in advance so we will know what we will be seeing.

We really liked the Oceania ship, but even more so loved the Amazara. We felt both cruise lines were great, but the size of the Amazara was nicer and more intimate. We also liked the culture, where staff seemed very friendly and where the passengers actually clapped to thank the staff during a night they were introduced to the passengers. I also like who wine and house brand drinks were available at no extra charge and bottled water was available to take at each port of call.

A travel agent from Canada told us that she also liked the newer and smaller Holland America ships and she would recommend them.

I would appreciate any thoughts on cruise lines that you think would be smaller (not the huge Princess City ships) and appeal to people who want to do their own thing more than be herded around by the cruise line.

Thanks!

I am wondering about your travel agent. HAL's newer ships are all much larger than Azamara/Oceania. The smaller HAL ships are their oldest. And you must have been on the newer of the Oceania ships, because their older ships are exactly the same R class ships as Azamara. EM

Consider Crystal - larger ships but with a smaller number of passengers makes for a roomy and relaxed on-board experience. They frequently win awards for service - the staff are friendly without being obsequious, and provide top notch service with a smile. There are no on-board announcements or any attempts to sell you anything. The food is great (obviously a subjective rating) and virtually all food and drink (and gratuities, and many activities) are included, and there is self-serve laundry included as well. I've heard good things about their shore excursions, but I don't take them either so I can't say -- I too am a DIY shore explorer. Even so, they provide shuttles in to town (included) for passengers to explore on their own.

First of all, I would get a travel agent who is better informed about cruise lines. That person would then know which small ships do NOT include excursions. Most of the smaller ships are luxury with the attached price tag for great service and included alcohol and excursions.

You could try one of the 4 small Oceania ships. As said before, they are the same size and model as the 2 Azamara ships. The Ponant line has even smaller ships and several bi-lingual (French/English) cruises.

The Azamara ships are the exact same size as the R class ships from Oceania, as they came from the same, bankrupt, cruise line, Renaissance. The only ships from Oceania that are a bit larger are their two new builds, Marina and Riviera. But their Insignia, Regatta, Nautica and Sirena ships are all the same size as the two Azamara ships.

HAL doesn't have new, small ships and they're getting rid of their smaller ships. I have no idea what that TA is talking about but she/he doesn't know jack about HAL.

Edited by kitty9

Where to start. OK, the TA, was not my TA as I typically don't use a TA. She was a nice lady that I sat next to at an Amazara dinner party one night and we got talking.

The Oceania ship I was on was the Marina. The Amazara ship was the Journey (which I was told was just out of drydock refurbishment earlier this year and had been purchased from another cruise line. The Princess ship I was on was one of their Jewel named ships.

As to Viking, I am staying away from them as I had booked a cruise on them to the Black Sea when Russia invaded the Ukraine. Their customer service in admitting that there was a problem was something that I never want to deal with again. We were facing a cancelation point were we would loose big money and they kept saying they would sail from Odesa Ukraine to Russian Sevastopol and Yalta and then up the river to Kiev, Ukraine, only we had Ukrainian news stories that said that would not be allowed. Ultimately, they canceled the cruise at the last minute and got most of our deposit back, but we bailed out well in advance. So NOPE, not doing Viking again.

I didn't realize that the Oceania Insignia, Regatta, Nautica and Sirena ships were the same size as the Amazara Journey.

I will have to research Ponant and Chrystal lines also.

Thanks!

We're Windstar fans. We've been 5 or 6 times on the sailing ships, and will be trying the 212 passenger Star Legend this summer. The two smaller sailing ships are 150 passengers, and the larger Wind Surf is 300.

They certainly can get you into some of the smaller ports you might like. I'm guessing the price point/service is a small step below Azmara, but I haven't traveled with them myself to compare.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I would like some advice from others who have more cruise experience.

I have don't a Rhine Cruise many decades ago. An Alaska Cruise on Princess. A Baltic Cruise From Sweden to Finland, St. Pete, then Poland and Germany on an Oceania ship. And most recently a Amazara mediteranian Cruise; Venice, Debrovnik, Crete, Greek Isles, Ephesus and Athens.

My wife an I are "off-leash" shore explorers. We generally avoid cruiseline tours as they are too crowded, leave too early in the morning and don't allow us to explore nooks and local restaurants. They want us to stay together, typically in groups of 20 to 30 and listen to guides of varying quality. We will hire a tour guide we have researched for either just ourselves or a small group of 4 to 6. We also just like to get a bus or taxi or walk to sights and usually research them in advance so we will know what we will be seeing.

We really liked the Oceania ship, but even more so loved the Amazara. We felt both cruise lines were great, but the size of the Amazara was nicer and more intimate. We also liked the culture, where staff seemed very friendly and where the passengers actually clapped to thank the staff during a night they were introduced to the passengers. I also like who wine and house brand drinks were available at no extra charge and bottled water was available to take at each port of call.

A travel agent from Canada told us that she also liked the newer and smaller Holland America ships and she would recommend them.

I would appreciate any thoughts on cruise lines that you think would be smaller (not the huge Princess City ships) and appeal to people who want to do their own thing more than be herded around by the cruise line.

Thanks!

Just returned from an Oceania Cruise. Can't recommend it. As to size and being "off-leash" you may want to look at the Sea Cloud (I and II).