Having a cabin really low deck?

Well if you're talking deck 2, there's obviously no balcony, but I will share this:

We normally get balconies high up. On our last cruise there was a really cheap balcony guarantee, so we snapped it up and were assigned the lowest balcony- 6th floor.

Turns out, we LOVED being low. Less movement, easier to get around ship, and it was nice to be closer to the water! You could hear the waves more, smell the salt more, it was just really nice.

Stuff we had never thought about before...

Well if you're talking deck 2, there's obviously no balcony, but I will share this:

We normally get balconies high up. On our last cruise there was a really cheap balcony guarantee, so we snapped it up and were assigned the lowest balcony- 6th floor.

Turns out, we LOVED being low. Less movement, easier to get around ship, and it was nice to be closer to the water! You could hear the waves more, smell the salt more, it was just really nice.

Stuff we had never thought about before...

Thanks. Sounds like we're going to have to put a lower deck balcony on our list of future staterooms. :)

As for lower deck staterooms, it would be so convenient on port stop days, as pointed out.

Edited by Philly Steve

Shhhhhh!!! Don't spoil the secret that low down and amidships is the best location on the ship. That way prices stay lower and people can pay a premium for being on a high deck (and even more for the worst locations, all the way aft or forward).

We had a deck 4 oceanview forward on Rhapsody on a 17 day repositioning cruise. It was fine, except in heavy weather we could feel and hear the ship below us hitting the waves hard! There were loud thuds which to me sounded like we were hitting whales which unnerved me a bit. So my advice would be to avoid forward cabins on lower decks.

We had a deck 4 oceanview forward on Rhapsody on a 17 day repositioning cruise. It was fine, except in heavy weather we could feel and hear the ship below us hitting the waves hard! There were loud thuds which to me sounded like we were hitting whales which unnerved me a bit. So my advice would be to avoid forward cabins on lower decks.

I had one of them many year ago also. I thought Jaws was trying to bash his

way into the ship!! :eek: ;)

Only thing I don't like about the lower deck cabins is the very narrow hallways.

Otherwise, it is indeed convenient to going in and out of port and quieter.

Edited by island lady

I had one of them many year ago also. I thought Jaws was trying to bash his

way into the ship!! :eek: ;)

Only thing I don't like about the lower deck cabins is the very narrow hallways.

Otherwise, it is indeed convenient to going in and out of port and quieter.

I also think they are more densely populated on the older ships :eek:

Hallways seem crowded

I also think they are more densely populated on the older ships :eek:

Hallways seem crowded

Yes, they are. I especially noticed that when I would host a cabin crawl and one

of our CC members had a cabin on one of the lower decks. Trying to weave our

group through those hallways was a challenge, and the poor cabin attendants had

to deal with us getting in their way. Felt bad for them.

Hmmm...interesting.

When I booked my first cruise the agent told me that, since it was my first cruise and I didn't know if I'd get seasick or not, it was best to be as close to the center of the ship - from front to back AND from top to bottom - to minimize movement. She put me on deck 8. My first 2 cruises I was on deck 8 and this last one I was on deck 9.

But I may consider deck 6 for my next cruise. Although, I seem to recall from another site that I'd checked before I discovered CC, that Deck 6 was not recommended.

But I like the idea of being closer to the water/hearing the waves more. The sound of the ocean in the morning is one of the reasons I get a balcony.

Thanks for the tip, micmacmissy.

I for one look for the least expensive room. I have stayed in many lower deck rooms and never have a problem. Other couples that usually go along with us have stayed on decks 11 and up in balcony's, and the movement is noticeable. I don't spend much time in the room..have had balcony's and found I didn't use them.....so why pay the extra $$

Mike

Hmmm...interesting.

When I booked my first cruise the agent told me that, since it was my first cruise and I didn't know if I'd get seasick or not, it was best to be as close to the center of the ship - from front to back AND from top to bottom - to minimize movement. She put me on deck 8. My first 2 cruises I was on deck 8 and this last one I was on deck 9.

But I may consider deck 6 for my next cruise. Although, I seem to recall from another site that I'd checked before I discovered CC, that Deck 6 was not recommended.

But I like the idea of being closer to the water/hearing the waves more. The sound of the ocean in the morning is one of the reasons I get a balcony.

Thanks for the tip, micmacmissy.

If you look at the Carnival Fantasy, the Grand Suites were low and in the middle. The only other balconies were up over the bridge.

Lower deck pros:

1. Midship cabins have least movement on ship.

2. Convenient to most night time activities. MDR, theater, promenade, etc.

3. Convenient to gangway at port stops. Avoids the elevator mess upon return to ship.

4. Can be very quiet.

5. Elevators are never full at lowest deck.

6. Lower cost.

Lower deck cons:

1. Not convenient to WJ, pool, etc.

2. Need to check deck plans for possible noise sources above and below.

3. Only OV or IS cabins. (Carnival does have cove balconies on deck 2 on newer ships. They are great)

We prefer the lower decks to be closer to the water. We have had oceanviews on deck 3, and balconies on any number of decks. While the preference is balcony (even though we hardly use it), if the oceanview price is right, no problem taking it. You can lie on the bed and look out at the ocean and it's right there. And if it's a little rough, the waves wash against the window (especially on Windstar on deck 2), which we think is a lot of fun. Although I could see where others would be uncomfortable. The lower decks are also closer to the promenades and easy to get a glass of ice water before bed.

No problem with hallways. How many cabin crawls are you going to participate in that this should make a difference? I've also not noticed a difference in width of hallway between decks, but that would not be important to me as we don't have scooters, wheelchairs, strollers etc. that would require some room to maneuver, so if there is a difference it wouldn't register.

We have been on decks 2,3 and 4 at times. Definitely prefer midships and outside cabins on those decks.

Depending on the class of ship closer to the Centrum has been better. Forward near the anchor or thrusters has been a problem.

Can be crowded when more young people aboard ie, Spring Break, Quinceanera Celebrations and North American Summer vacation times.

If you choose wisely you will likely be OK!

Hmmm...interesting.

One needs to look at how the ship's decks are numbered. If the numbers given start at the passenger decks, this may not account for the additional crew decks, engine compartments, storage, etc; that are below the passenger decks.

We prefer the lower decks to be closer to the water. We have had oceanviews on deck 3, and balconies on any number of decks. While the preference is balcony (even though we hardly use it), if the oceanview price is right, no problem taking it. You can lie on the bed and look out at the ocean and it's right there. And if it's a little rough, the waves wash against the window (especially on Windstar on deck 2), which we think is a lot of fun. Although I could see where others would be uncomfortable. The lower decks are also closer to the promenades and easy to get a glass of ice water before bed.

No problem with hallways. How many cabin crawls are you going to participate in that this should make a difference? I've also not noticed a difference in width of hallway between decks, but that would not be important to me as we don't have scooters, wheelchairs, strollers etc. that would require some room to maneuver, so if there is a difference it wouldn't register.

I only said I "especially noticed it" on a cabin crawl. It was just that it brought the

width of the smaller hallways to my attention. And no...we don't do cabin crawls

on all sailings. Those that ARE on scooters and wheel chairs probably have a tougher

time also. We usually try to stay away from navigating those congested hallways.

My cabin attendant, upon my request, keeps my ice bucket full and fresh glasses.

That gives me my ice water whenever I want it during the night. ;)

Edited by island lady

We have been on decks 2,3 and 4 at times. Definitely prefer midships and outside cabins on those decks.

Depending on the class of ship closer to the Centrum has been better. Forward near the anchor or thrusters has been a problem.

Can be crowded when more young people aboard ie, Spring Break, Quinceanera Celebrations and North American Summer vacation times.

If you choose wisely you will likely be OK!

Ian!! I LOVE your new Avatar...you handsome devil you!! :D